C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rookie, opinions on these mods appreciated (1st post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 02:47 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rookie, opinions on these mods appreciated (1st post)

OK, this my frist post, as you can see in the sig I don't have my C4 yet, but believe me I will. I plan on getting a '93-'95 LT1 (auto). These are the things I was considering doing to it (give or take a few little things here and there) and I would greatly appreciate any guesses at HP or torque and any suggestions to improve it as well. Maybe a few guesses at 1/4 times too. BTW, it will be my daily driver as well, so I don't to go ALL out, but anything within the range of these mods seems fine. :D

SLP claw or Open Lid K&N (which is better anyway?)
New higher flowing MAF (not sure what kind yet)
160* Powerstat
HPP III or Custom Job at a shop
Pulleys
2400 stall TC (SLP)
Tri-Flo Cat-Back
SLP shoties (need to keep it emissions legal :rolleyes:, any suggestions?)
LT1 to LT4 conversion kit from Pace (intake manifold, HOT cam kit, LT4 heads, etc.)
52 mm Throttle Body
Gears (maybe, 3.73 or 3.54, and would I have to purchase a Dana 44?)
...running all that on Mich Pilot Sports (unless someone has better ideas, not slicks though because I can only afford ONE set of tires IF that :( )

O, and also, I'm kinda on a budget because I'm starting Culinary school in January to get my associates. So this is going to be more than a one year project. (just grad high school '01, but YES, I DO pay for EVERYthing on my own with part time jobs, cept for the coming up school year) Thanks guys. I've been reading CorvetteForum daily :jester so I figured I might as well go ahead and register.
Old 12-08-2001, 02:55 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: rookie, opinions on these mods appreciated (BowTieBlood)

your list is perfectly ok, dont know if id do the pulleys however. Not if you do alot of city driving. I recommend 3.54's and i dont think you have to purchase a dana 44, because i know for my 36 i can get 3.54's.

SLP claw has alot of customers here and i'm getting their model for the early C4's next spring. Its a bit better than an open lid. Also, do the custom programming.
Old 12-08-2001, 03:03 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Default Re: rookie, opinions on these mods appreciated (vader86)

Any guess RWhp (or at the crank), torque, 1/4 mile?
Anyone throw me some guesses???

[Modified by BowTieBlood, 7:56 PM 12/8/2001]
Old 12-08-2001, 04:01 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

:confused:
Old 12-08-2001, 04:01 PM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

Good list overall... I'd do a couple things different thou...

There is no performance difference between the claw and an open K&N... the claw just looks real cool. I'd save your cash on the high flow MAF, won't gain you anything and the cash could be put towards something else. Under-drive pulleys are up in the air to whether or not they give you much of any gain.. I'd hold off on those also.

The torque converter will really help the car out (You will need sticky tires to reap the benifits of it) Might want to look at a 2600 stall Vigilante... the nice thing about these are that they give you a one time free stall speed change... so down the road you decide to go a bit wild with the cam, they will adjust the convertor for free!

Don't think the shortie headers are worth much of anything... some say yes, others say no... I'd have to go with no on these and look at long tubes if at all possible.

LT-4 top end package... good package, you could have your heads done and they would out flow the Lt-4 by a large margine.

the LT-1's respond real well to gears also... 3.73's are great as are the 3.54... my 95 is a daily driver and i'm going with 3.73's. Dana 44 isn't nessicary... but if your going to do a lot of drag racing.. the Dana 36 will go at some time in it's life.

If you go with a convertor and gears... your going to need drag radials at minimum or the street tires are just going to melt!

A set of 3.73's , converter and drag radials will prolly put you in the high 12's without much trouble. If you do the top end package, you'll be looking low 12's.. maybe dipping into the high 11's.

Good luck and welcome to the forum! :cheers:
Old 12-08-2001, 05:32 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

By your list it sounds like you've got alot of money to throw away.
You need to spend more time reading the forum to find out what really are goods mods.
Old 12-08-2001, 05:38 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Default Re: rookie, opinions on these mods appreciated (mackeyred96)

Yea...I'm still learning, that's why I asked so many q's :D Don't know 'till you ask.

Thanks everyone for the tips though. In my sig is basically what I'm looking at right now. Believe me, EVERY opinion helps. Thanks to anyone else who responds too! :flag

Get notified of new replies

To rookie, opinions on these mods appreciated (1st post)

Quick Reply: rookie, opinions on these mods appreciated (1st post)