C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C strength

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:13 AM
welsh_gal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C strength

Ok turned the ac on for the fist time and it was so weak its was hardly moving my hair! I know its not going to be as strong as my explorer but how strong should it be normally?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:54 AM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What year? Manual or Electronic HVAC? It sounds like a plugged evaporator core (relatively easy fix), but we need more info first and nothing listed in your profile to help either.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:56 PM
welsh_gal
Intermediate

Sorry will update profile

84 auto with manual HVAC
Old 03-23-2008, 01:45 PM
alecracing
Instructor

My '87 blows weak also, I'll fix it when it gets hotter

I also have a freon leak anyone know of a common place that leaks (like the evaporator core on ALL Fords )

ALSO...anyone know about changing it over to R-134
Old 03-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Yellow2015
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alecracing
My '87 blows weak also, I'll fix it when it gets hotter

I also have a freon leak anyone know of a common place that leaks (like the evaporator core on ALL Fords )

ALSO...anyone know about changing it over to R-134
Check around all the fittings. If you see what looks like grease, that's probably where the leak is. Have it pressurized with nitrogen and leak checked also. Leaks come in 2 varieties...........the easy ones and the hair pulling ones.

As to converting, you'll get mixed answers here. I fall down on the side of using a replacement freeon like freeze 12 or R-416. Either way, get the leak fixed forst.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:29 PM
alecracing
Instructor

Originally Posted by nyernga1
Check around all the fittings. If you see what looks like grease, that's probably where the leak is. Have it pressurized with nitrogen and leak checked also. Leaks come in 2 varieties...........the easy ones and the hair pulling ones.

As to converting, you'll get mixed answers here. I fall down on the side of using a replacement freeon like freeze 12 or R-416. Either way, get the leak fixed forst.
I put dye in it when I charged it last, about a couple months ago, and it is still cold so I am thinking it is a small leak. I'll just wait until it starts blowing warmer and look around with thw black light to see if I see anything
Old 03-23-2008, 02:32 PM
welsh_gal
Intermediate

well I'll need to be looking into mine soon! It was 41c today and soon it will be over 50c!!!! Wonder if I'll have any overheating problems??????
Old 03-23-2008, 04:28 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

For a weak blower, jumper the blower motor directly to battery voltage - then let us know the results. For conversion questions, go to the a/c board at www.ackits.com and click on the FAQ section. If it's overheating with the a/c running, check operating pressures and let us know what they are, but you'll need to get the blower working first.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:27 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default weak blower

possibly the problem is that one of your vacuum lines has given up, and the blower is pumping out air to the dash, the defroster area, and the floor vents all at once. Check to see if this isn't the problem, and then you can find out the culprit be blocking off the vacuum in certain areas till you find the leak or leaky component.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:50 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

I went through this crap for about 2-3 years until the blower motor finally gave out on my trip up through Nevada. I replaced the motor last night and it works great. I had to get one at Kragen's on Easter evening, but it was only about $40 and it takes about an hour to swap. Problem solved....for now!
Old 03-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Yellow2015
Pro

Originally Posted by alecracing
I put dye in it when I charged it last, about a couple months ago, and it is still cold so I am thinking it is a small leak. I'll just wait until it starts blowing warmer and look around with thw black light to see if I see anything

The dye is the best for pin pointing a leak.............
Old 03-24-2008, 10:53 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You won't if it's in the Evaporator (or the condensor without removing the shroud). Go to an a/c shop and have them stick an electronic leak detector in the vents or through the resistor pod/blower module hole. Takes all of 5 minutes and most will do it free (because replacing an Evaporator is where the big bucks are made).

Get notified of new replies

To A/C strength

Quick Reply: A/C strength