C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Putting headlight into bumper where driving lights are?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:14 PM
1996man
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was browsing some camaro boards and apperantly they even have a kit that can switch it to a H4 bulb and have a hi/lo setting as well
Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're still working on this, just want to keep the thread alive. I got a headlight assembly from a '94 Grand Prix from the junk yard. We cut out the individual light units. We took those apart. Now, we're in the process of mounting one on the right side. I think we've got a way to do it. We're kind of in the middle of this so I haven't taken any pictures yet but I will soon. It looks like it might work. I'm also looking into some motorcycle turn signal units to mount back there. I think those might be the smallest and easiest to mount. I don't think we can get back to our shop for a couple days tho. Bummer, we were close to finishing up the right one the other night but ran out of time. We weren't able to fit the entire headlight assembly (like the ones redrose put the picture of above) back there. We removed that large rectangle of metal with the spring and aiming adjusters on it. We're going to mount them and just bend the mountings a bit to aim I think. Keep the ideas flowing. Thanks everybody.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Inlove
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the fabrication. Post some pictures when you're done.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:56 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

for really small/liteweight turn signals, look at LED assy's from raddyshack...abt 1/2'' dia x 1.5" deep...abt $2 ea, complete with threaded housing and correct resistor for 12V applic...yellow is r/s p/n 276-272 (IIRC)...similar also in red (different p/n but close, ask there)...can use another of same assy alongside for running lite by adding an external resistor to reduce brightness...turn sig flasher must be changed to "electro-mechanical" type (abt $15 at napa) which does not rely on bulb current to set flash cycle...close to nothing current draw of LED's means you could "array" a bunch if desired.

Last edited by redrose; 04-17-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Thanks Redrose, I'll check those out too. I've got my motorcycle buddy bringing a box of old cycle turn signals over today to look through. We changed our taillights to l.e.d.'s last year and had to change the flasher to the better kind that doesn't need the high current draw to flash so that's taken care of.

Thread hi-jack (it's my own thread so I can do that): we got 4" round l.e.d. taillights from the semi truck repair/store Kenworth dealer. They are a very common light for the truckers. I got the 36 l.e.d. and my son paid a bit more for the 44 l.e.d. ones. Then, we took out the taillights and used a rotozip to carve out the gray plastic backing of the taillight housing. Then, we used a thin line of silicone around the inside of the red taillight and put the new lights up flush against the back of the stock red plastic Vette taillights. Let the silicone cure, cut the wires and spliced in the pigtail connector that we bought at the Kenworth store. Vwalla, they work very cool and look great. I think the l.e.d. units were less than $20.00 each, pigtails were like $3.00. They are brighter and faster than the stock bulbs.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Mr6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is the image of Chevrolet's "Snake Skinner" ZR1 that eliminated the pop up head lights and used the grand prix lights:

Here is the photo of a set of Grand Prix Lights:

Old 05-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

We got it done. Here's a final shot of the front:

I have a bunch of shots showing how we made the brackets for them but haven't gotten them hosted yet. The turn signals are from a motorcycle. We used some of that super strong plastic stuff that 3M makes similar to velcro but not soft like velcro, to hold the turn signals in. That way when he goes on the track he can pop that left one off easy in case he needs to use that tow hook. We put quick plugs on the signal wires.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Here's a side shot:

Old 05-15-2008, 11:47 PM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work boys
Old 05-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Leftoverture
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redvette6spd
Nice work boys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Putting headlight into bumper where driving lights are?