C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

X-Pipe with Muffler Eliminators on C4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Rob10R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Pipe with Muffler Eliminators on C4?

I'm looking for anyone with a setup - X-Pipe with Muffler Eliminators on C4? Does it sound better/clearer with X-pipe? Will X-pipe eliminate the gurgling sound from Muffler Eliminator when letting of the gas when slowing down?Thanks

Rob
Old 06-23-2008, 03:06 AM
PurtyLilC4
Instructor

did you try using the search function, out of how much the exhaust ?s come up, you have got to be able to find something.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:14 AM
Master__Shake_
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gurgling you are talking about is from the downshifting of the auto trans, right? Normally I don't have that problem in overdrive but I do in drive, but it's not resonance that is the problem. It's the tranny making the motor slow down faster than it currently is.

I have eliminators, and though I don't have an X-pipe, I've seen some videos from youtube of C4s with them and it drops the resonance a tiny bit but gives the vocal range a higher note. Reminds me of putting on a brand-name set of mufflers like Corsa. If you put on the eliminators yourself, chances are you might not like it. You could always do an H-pipe, but that may increase the resonance too much. Whatever floats your boat - I like the rumble myself.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:41 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes I had this set up for a while and liked it a lot.
X pipe made it a little higher pitched, raspier, took all resonance out, quiet at cruise but would scream when you got on it, and had less gurgle when down shifting VS with just the Eliminators. I wished I had done it for all the years I just had the Elims. HAd to remove X pipe, elims etc when I did heads/cam do to noise. I have the X for sale if you decide to go in that direction.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Rob10R
Instructor

appreciate for your response guys..yes its an auto..I'm thinking of just sticking with the eliminators only w/no X-pipe..the gurgling is not really that bad tho..
Old 06-23-2008, 01:34 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default X-Pipe

Originally Posted by Rob10R
I'm looking for anyone with a setup - X-Pipe with Muffler Eliminators on C4? Does it sound better/clearer with X-pipe? Will X-pipe eliminate the gurgling sound from Muffler Eliminator when letting of the gas when slowing down?Thanks

Rob
I have an x-pipe and muffler elim with auto trans. I have very little "gurgling" when in overdrive. When I put it in drive I get the gurgling sound when letting off at higher rpms or down shifting. The x-pipe does sound better. It quieted it down just a bit and added a pulsing sound.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:25 PM
bikertrash2001
Advanced

Help a noob out here... When you say muffler eliminators are you talking about the rear mufflers or the resonator? Does the x-pipe eliminate the resonator?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I run a set of muffler elims with an H-pipe near the rear of the catback.
Mine gurggles but mostly when I'm in open loop vs closed loop.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:15 PM
BAM92
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bikertrash2001
Help a noob out here... When you say muffler eliminators are you talking about the rear mufflers or the resonator? Does the x-pipe eliminate the resonator?
Muffler eliminators replace the two rear mufflers with basically straight pipes with nice tips. X pipe replaces the middle resonator.

Get notified of new replies

To X-Pipe with Muffler Eliminators on C4?

Quick Reply: X-Pipe with Muffler Eliminators on C4?