C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Professional Products Throttle Body Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Default Professional Products Throttle Body Dilemma

Hey all,

I bought a 58mm PP throttle body on the C4 FS/Used section a while ago for use on my 383.

Just have a few questions, i'm sure we can get them straightened out..

The old throttle body obviously had all the right connections.

The new one doesn't have provisions for the vacuum port below the TB,

and doesn't have a spot to hook up the cruise control cable. For the cruise control, I was thinking I could thread a small bolt in there, cut the end off to make it really short, and then put the cable on with a really small nut on the end??

Thanks for the help in advance!

Jeremy
Old 10-17-2011, 08:18 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Send it back and tell them you want an exact replacement for your model year with the correct ports and linkage. If they don't have one, have them refund your money and move on. There are a lot of throttle body manufacturers out there. You shouldn't have to McGyver the thing to make it work.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 383vett
Send it back and tell them you want an exact replacement for your model year with the correct ports and linkage. If they don't have one, have them refund your money and move on. There are a lot of throttle body manufacturers out there. You shouldn't have to McGyver the thing to make it work.
Problem here is that I am not the original purchaser of the TB. I bought from MJS FAST SS or something like that. He had like 10 of them for sale.

I wonder if I could call them and get the parts?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I just reread your post and got that. I'm a little slow. Start drilling and screwing.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:37 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Thats a problem...not huge but the best arguement there is for buying new and not used...

The vac port on the underside is 'ported' vacuum.. That it is not applying vac all the time..only when the T-body & throttle are opened to a certain point. Its used for low vac to operate the purge can/system and the EGR solenoid. I suppose you could T into another small vac line and power these other things...I just don;t know if having strong vac all the time would cause the EGR to try to operate prematurely or over-power the little solenoid and maybe prevent it from operating. Its tiny and not real powerful.
I'm positive there are many C4s that have had the vac lines all crossed and connected to the wrong ports....and have survived. I've seen one in my garage before....
That IS why they display that particular vac line drawing on the radiator shroud...because its the ported vac thats important.

The pin for the cruise cable...I think that could be modeled after the stock T-body linkage. I'd drill it, find a good grade steel solid pin (cold rolled stock) and groove the end for a C-clip...I forget what kind of retainer the stock cable uses. Maybe even a tac to keep it from coming apart.
Something else to try if you do not want to drill holes in the linkage....use the throttle cable pin (if long enough) and make a small thin plate 15mm wide X 40mm long and drill/weld a pin in one end of that and drill a hole in the other....then hang that on the throttle linkage pin with the throttle cable turned the opposite way of the throttle cable. Attach cruise cable to the new plate with its own pin. That way its completely removable. The plate would allow the new pin to swing out to make the connection to the cruise cable.I recall its a slightly different angle than the throttle cable.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
The new one doesn't have a spot to hook up the cruise control cable.
It does actually , just that the linkage is for later model ('89+ ) that has different accel cable hookup .
The cable goes in slot shown in your pic, not on the outer stud which is for CC.

You will note that the throttle linkage is removable.
PP is one of the few TB you can do this with because new they come with both style brackets and you fit the one to suit your app.
PP should be able to supply the correct bracket for your year model?
Or buy a later model throttle cable with end to suit new TB

Last edited by rodj; 10-18-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

i went through this with my used LPE 58mm.

Had an pre 88ish style set up with the clip to hold the throttle cable.

Called LPE and accel and they did not have the shaft to swap out.

Ended up installing an 86 or 87 sytle throttle cable and was done with it. I would offer you my 91 cable but destroyed it trying to get it out of the fricked firewall with that goop they put on it.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Thanks for all the help!

Any idea on the vacuum port? It's not threaded, so it must be press fit?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:17 AM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

pwnage
PP made them interchangeable so you can install L98 or LT1 cables
they come with 3 throttle linkage arms NEW.. hence the nut holding your LT1 style on
and yes all the vacuum ports are press fit... easily made
I make my own cables with my lokar stainless.. as my base....

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 10-18-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Call PP or check their website. They should be able to send you the correct linkage piece. Same with the small tube for the vacuum line. It is a pressed fit and should have been in there (it was there when I bought my 52mm TB for my 87).
Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does not have the ported vacuum port (52mm purchased in Feb 2011).
I also have the additional linkages that came with it - let me see what I have left over.

Get notified of new replies

To Professional Products Throttle Body Dilemma

Quick Reply: Professional Products Throttle Body Dilemma