C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

High beam indicator and fog lamps ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:37 PM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default High beam indicator and fog lamps ?

OK -- my high beam indicator (the blue light in the dash) goes on as normal when I use the dimmer switch; but when I switch back to low beams, the high beam indicator stays on!?

The lights themselves do go back and forth between high and low beams, but once I switch to high beams the indicator in the dash stays on, except;

if I turn the headlight switch to the parking light position (while the headlights are on low beam) then back to the headlight position, the dash indicator light goes out...!

Also, it may be coincidence or totally unrelated, but just about the same time this problem began (recently) the fog lights also stopped working! The fog light indicator (the green LED on the button) goes on and off but no fog lights...

Any help is appreciated, thanks!!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

In the future, ALWAYS include the year C4 that you are asking help for. They are not all wired up the exact same way and you make it much harder for any of us to offer you any help. Please don't tell us to look in your personal information or call your mother, help us and yourself and hit two measily keys on your keyboard!
Your high beam indicator stays on because you have a poor ground on your headlights, either the left, right, even possibly both. The headlights have a black wire that is ground and you should check the condition of the wiring harness plug and socket, then the condition of the splice and the condition of the frame ground. Spray some electrical contact cleaner on the pin and socket on each headlight and DO NOT use sandpaper on contacts except the frame where the screw holds the ground lug to the frame.
If you will look at both headlights on low beam, the one that is clearly lower intensity is the headlight with the bad ground connection.

Last edited by jfb; 07-15-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:28 PM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fixed

The high beam issue was the ground, the fog light issue was the relay.

BTW there is no need to be offensive when replying to a post, I didn't bring mother into the conversation and I would appreciate some civility on your part. My sig included the year etc. and the post for some reason did not pick it up.

Get notified of new replies

To High beam indicator and fog lamps ?

Quick Reply: High beam indicator and fog lamps ?