C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My budget LS1 swap game plan...

Old 09-03-2008, 11:35 PM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My budget LS1 swap game plan...

Was driving spiritedly this morning and my 383 dropped an exhaust valve at about 6000 rpms. Took it apart and we figured one of the keepers failed dropping a valve down the cylinder. It made a big mess and the motor is pretty much a piece of junk at this point. I'm feeling the need to try something new. I currently have no intention rebuilding this broken motor and will probably just part out and scrap the unrepairable parts one day. Now, I want to try something new. I want to breathe new life into this old car. It is LSx time!

About noon today, I decided to pick up a complete 2000 Tahoe 6.0L LQ4 motor on craigslist for $300. What a steal!!! Motor has 60K miles and been sitting inside an indoor storage unit for awhile. Took all of it apart and it looks almost new! Must have been using synthetic oil its whole life...
Total tab so far, $300.

Here's the LSx game plan: (Courtesy of Carcraft.com)

I'm leaving this motor carbed so obviously I will have to pick up a carb intake manifold and MSD ignition from GMPP. Adds about $1000 to the tab. I will likely reuse my Holley 650 dp carb. No big deal. I'm too lazy to go back to EFI for now so please do not suggest it otherwise.
Total proposed tab so far: $1300

I will use the stock iron heads that came with this motor. They can flow every bit as good as the LS6 heads, with the exception that the combustion chamber is larger at 72ccs versus the 65cc chambers the LS6 heads have. Port work might suck, but I know it has been done before. It took me about a week to thoroughly port iron heads. Paired with the LS1 hotcam kit, Carcraft claims 480 bhp with the stock unmodified iron heads even with 9.5:1 compression. The cam they are using is the LS1 hotcam. Seems to me this combo would be 87 octane pump gas friendly, though I would still prefer to use premium gas. I can possibly use a thinner head gasket in order to increase the compression ratio. 500 bhp could be possible and is well within reach, regarding the potential of these motors. The LS1 hotcam kit adds about $500 to the tab.
Total proposed tab so far: $1800

I plan on using C5 accessories (except for the F-body oil pan) so my guess is that I will need the alternator and alternator bracket, water pump, power steering pump, belt tensioner and other misc brackets. I don't drive this car everyday so I will not be needing A/C. I could always buy an A/C retrofit kit meant for street rods and later figure out how to adapt it to the C4. Anyways, did I leave anything else out? I would say the tab on these accessories, assuming they are used, would be about $500.
Total proposed tab so far: $2300

I can only guess that C4 LSx motor mount adapters would cost, at most, about $200. Someone out there has to make them. I can only think of one source and that is Speedhound.
Total tab so far: $2500

I'm considering a set of LS1 C4 swap headers from Melrose in the event I feel too lazy to modify C5 headers for this swap. This would add about $700 to the tab.
Total proposed tab so far: $3200

I will still be using my built 700R4 with this combo. Any issues with the C-beam modification, bellhousing bolt pattern issues, torque converter issues, and/or other clearance issues? Maybe I'll just have to figure that out. If there are mounts out there, I would assume that cost would be about $300.
Total proposed tab so far: $3500

I'd guess that the miscellaneous parts (i.e. gaskets, bearings, bolts, etc.) of this swap, ya know, the type of parts that will nickle and dime you to death would amount to about $300.
Total proposed tab so far: $3800

Since my parents own a shop, I will pretty much be doing this swap all by myself. Assuming my carb tuning ability is excellent and spark tables are just right, I could potentially have a 500 bhp LSx motor in my car ready to roll for about $3800.

500 bhp for $3800 seems like a good deal! In a car weighing 3000 lbs, that would be fun!

I could always do the "while I'm at it" and add a stroker kit. Texas Speed and Performance sell a stroker kit for about $2000. Cubic inches would increase from 364 to 402, assuming you still are running on a stock 4" bore. This could add about an extra 25 hp and probably even more torque. I would guestimate the power to be around 525 bhp coupled with a lot more torque.
Tab so far: $5800

If you want to make more power, I'd toss in $300 for a cam more aggressive than the LS1 hotcam. Power could probably be close to 550 bhp. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm certain the iron heads should be able to support this, as long as I put in a week's worth of work porting them out and removing all the casting marks.
Total tab: $6100

Due to a larger cam, I would think a Holley 650 would probably over its limits if you decide to rev higher than 5500 rpms. I'd have to find an 850 Holley dp and rebuild it if needed. I'm sure I could get them used for about $200 at the local swap meet. A rebuild kit would be about $200. Power guestimate after the carb swap would be 600 bhp.
Total proposed tab so far: $6500

I have rigged a manual switch for the torque converter lock up so the car can still remain "cruiseable" on long highway trips.

I will retain my Dana 36 and its stock 3.07 gears. I'm currently still too lazy to swap over to a D44 or possibly a Ford 9". I'm actually surprised I haven't busted my D36 yet! I could only assume that my recent 2.0 60' times are to thank, regardless of the hundreds of 1/8th mile passes this car has already been through.

In a nutshell, I believe 600 bhp is entirely possible with a carbed, all iron GenIII 402 cubic inch stroker. $6500 would seem like a bargain for this type of power. In a 3000 lb car, it would be close to insane.

Any questions, comments, or complaints? Please leave the negativity out the door. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you brokded your toy

Sounds like a fun project coming up though
Old 09-04-2008, 09:37 AM
hexane
Melting Slicks

I would need to dump nearly a fifth of my total yearly savings if I were to start right now. Hate to see the $$$$ just go, but I feel like part of me dies every time one of my motors pop. Must be an ego thing.

Hope this plan goes well. I've been looking at the LS1 swap threads all morning.

This new 6.0L does sure look pretty!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:53 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pictures!! where are the pictures and keep a progress report going.. I love spur of the moment crisis decisions.. I miss those days.. they were alot fo fun and when motors broke it was an opportunity not a problem.. good attitude man and go for it! looking forward to the build pictures!

Chris
Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 AM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hooblyboobly
I would need to dump nearly a fifth of my total yearly savings if I were to start right now. Hate to see the $$$$ just go, but I feel like part of me dies every time one of my motors pop. Must be an ego thing.

Hope this plan goes well. I've been looking at the LS1 swap threads all morning.

You can't go wrong with an LQ9.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 AM
hexane
Melting Slicks

This project has just started. The only pic I would be able to take would be of this 6.0 motor on the engine stand and that is about it. I'll have to order the intake next.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 AM
mdlfcrss
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of "assuming" and you know what happens when you assume! I hope it all works out like you planned. Keep us informed...sounds like a killer project!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:42 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Sounds like a sweet deal and a good plan. Just don't hedge your bets, as I'm sure you're well aware, it is always more money than your "best deal" scenario. Boy you are off to a great start though!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:26 PM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Old pics of carb conversion long overdue. Still had stock ported 113 heads on this sucker:

View from driver's side:

View from passenger's side:

Cowl induction scoop on hood freshly added:

Temporary gauge plate (will change this soon):
Old 09-04-2008, 02:36 PM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Relocated windshield wiper switch, fuse block, and headlight switch:

Relocated window switches; in the middle is the torque converter lock up switch:

Battery was relocated to the rear:

View of inline fuel pump and fuel filter:

Fuel line comes out from the fuel filter all the way up to the AFPR and then to the carb:
Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 PM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Pics of the 6.0 before complete tear down:

Top driver's side:

Heads I pulled(I know they need a little cleaning):

This should keep me busy for awhile.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
shamdave
Burning Brakes

man would i screw this up!!!good luck I hope she ripps. I think if i came to my wife and told her i was spending ANOTHER 7 grand on the vett i would haft to sleep with one eye open and hide the roling pin
Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 PM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shamdave
man would i screw this up!!!good luck I hope she ripps. I think if i came to my wife and told her i was spending ANOTHER 7 grand on the vett i would haft to sleep with one eye open and hide the roling pin
As long as you do the work yourself, I'm sure you could do the "Stage 1" 500 hp 6.0 liter for about 5 grand. That would include converting over to carb as well.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:43 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Ya know, Iroc57 has a turn key big block 91 for sale for $6000. Just thought I would bring that up in case you may want a fun car with little work. If not intrested, good luck to you with the project.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 PM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Spankyellow
Ya know, Iroc57 has a turn key big block 91 for sale for $6000. Just thought I would bring that up in case you may want a fun car with little work. If not intrested, good luck to you with the project.
Way too far out for me. Shipping would otherwise neutralize an otherwise killer deal. He's in RI, I'm in FL. If his car was down in FL, I would definitely buy it.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Firevette
Safety Car

Cruise-In X Veteran

I will still be using my built 700R4 with this combo. Any issues with the C-beam modification, bellhousing bolt pattern issues, torque converter issues, and/or other clearance issues? Maybe I'll just have to figure that out.
That 700 won't bolt to an LS block. I dont know if someone has come up with a solution.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Novas2Vettes
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the 383 going boom. Do keep us posted on the Swap. I have had thoughts of this myself. Very interested to see how it comes out for you.

Get notified of new replies

To My budget LS1 swap game plan...

Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 PM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Firevette
That 700 won't bolt to an LS block. I dont know if someone has come up with a solution.
I'm also hearing mixed information. I heard that there is one bolt that does not line up, so actually you may end up having to use just 5 bolts instead of 6, unless you drill and/or tap.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

How many "pops" have you had?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:33 AM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
How many "pops" have you had?
2 including this one. Both were 383s. The first one failed at high rpm when the oil pick up fell off. I was able to rebuild it and stick it in the 87 Vette I'm now driving. It is "technically" a 388 because I'm using .060" pistons in it.

The second one (this one) failed when a valve decided to let go. We find that it was a freak accident. True, **** happens. Could have been a defective part for all I know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My budget LS1 swap game plan...