C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

383 Build...The start of the Process (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 PM
gaeecho9r
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You the man...........................10k in motor but worth every penny...awesome post and pics..just does not get any better then that...hope to build mine up in future but need to save for a while..speed costs money.. by the way your lap times...What was the difference and did you drive the car to track??
Old 10-30-2009, 12:25 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, a little off topic. Looking at your images on the Dyno are you using a cross-bar harness bar? If so do you like it? Do you use the camera mount and if so is it easy to use?

Thanks
Art
Old 10-30-2009, 06:56 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by gaeecho9r
You the man...........................10k in motor but worth every penny...awesome post and pics..just does not get any better then that...hope to build mine up in future but need to save for a while..speed costs money.. by the way your lap times...What was the difference and did you drive the car to track??
Don't have before and after lap times. Since I was taking it easy on the new engine I wasn't on slicks. As such any comparisons skewed. In theory, with slicks I should see an even greater speed on the front straight due to better corner exit speed
Old 10-30-2009, 06:58 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by grantar2
Ok, a little off topic. Looking at your images on the Dyno are you using a cross-bar harness bar? If so do you like it? Do you use the camera mount and if so is it easy to use?

Thanks
Art
I do have an R&D Cross Bar in there. It's ok. Needed a way to mount my harnesses and it serves the purpose. The camera mount is just a plate. A Brey-Kraus bar with a real camera mount would be much better. It's a PIA to reach the camera with the R&D bar. I need to get a remote trigger for it.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:33 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I do have an R&D Cross Bar in there. It's ok. Needed a way to mount my harnesses and it serves the purpose. The camera mount is just a plate. A Brey-Kraus bar with a real camera mount would be much better. It's a PIA to reach the camera with the R&D bar. I need to get a remote trigger for it.
Thanks, sort of thought that was the case with the camera mount. The R&D was my second choice. Originally ordered the Arizona Speed and Marine, which comes with a better camera mount and a fire extinguisher mount, looks way cool, but they are out out of stock and holding off production due to the economy.

Looked at the Brey-Kraus but it was expensive and seemed to require a bunch of extra part purchases.

Do you have any problem with your belts sliding on the bar?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Thanks, sort of thought that was the case with the camera mount. The R&D was my second choice. Originally ordered the Arizona Speed and Marine, which comes with a better camera mount and a fire extinguisher mount, looks way cool, but they are out out of stock and holding off production due to the economy.

Looked at the Brey-Kraus but it was expensive and seemed to require a bunch of extra part purchases.

Do you have any problem with your belts sliding on the bar?
Haven't had an issue with the belts sliding. FWIW, my belts also have a sternum strap which keeps them from spreading in front.

Many will debate the sternum strap, talking about how you now have one extra button to push to get out of the harness. However I'd much rather the harness straps stay together and hold me in the seat in case of an abrupt stop. Frankly with no cage in the car I doubt a sternum strap is really going to matter in the case of a serious accident.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:54 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Another little update to this long running thread

My tags need to be renewed and I needed to have an emissions test.

When I took it to the emissions station initially, the PCM read "not ready" and they failed it. I had been messing with the car and had the battery disconnected. This meant I needed to complete a drive cycle...and didn't :o

In WA on '96 & '97 MY vehicles, if you fail the plug-in test, you get to do the sniffer...even if you complete the drive cycle and the PCM is ready. Anyway, put it on the rollers and....

Cruise
HC Limit: 220 PPM / result 50 PPM - PASS
CO Limit: 1.2% / result 0.01% - PASS

Idle
HC Limit: 220 PPM / result 196 PPM - PASS
CO Limit: 1.2% / result 0.31% - PASS

Overall: PASS

FWIW...I completed a drive cycle and it would pass now as well
Old 11-28-2009, 11:05 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Haven't had an issue with the belts sliding. FWIW, my belts also have a sternum strap which keeps them from spreading in front.

Many will debate the sternum strap, talking about how you now have one extra button to push to get out of the harness. However I'd much rather the harness straps stay together and hold me in the seat in case of an abrupt stop. Frankly with no cage in the car I doubt a sternum strap is really going to matter in the case of a serious accident.
In a car with a cage or that runs tracks with walls, I think the sternum strap is a must have. Having seen a driver crack his sternum in a head on with a wall when the body flexed under load I think I would consider the risk associated with dealing with a simple latch worth the risk. My belts don't have one, but I am running autocross and hopefully some limited time trials.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In a car with a cage or that runs tracks with walls, I think the sternum strap is a must have. Having seen a driver crack his sternum in a head on with a wall when the body flexed under load I think I would consider the risk associated with dealing with a simple latch worth the risk. My belts don't have one, but I am running autocross and hopefully some limited time trials.
While it seems like a simple thing, every additional item to unhook or remove when trying to exit the car is potentially dangerous. For example, I have to unhook belts, window net, radio wire, etc, then climb out of the window of the car while wearing my helmet and a HANS, and be clear of the vehicle in less than 10 seconds (NASA requirement, tested by club marshalls). The intent is to be able to exit the car ASAP during a fire, which some would argue is much more likely than a crash.

This is a rule for wheel to wheel racing. For HPDE or TT, where you have less to remove and no requirement for time it "technically" is less of an issue for...the safety concerns are your decision as the person at risk.

I'm not condoning or condemning a sternum strap, just explaining one reason not to have one.

Last edited by ScaryFast; 11-30-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 383 Build...The start of the Process (pics)