C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best replacement cam for an 85/L98

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I ran the cam Master shake posted earlier,years back in my 86.It ran great,idles good with excellent vacuum.Heres the cam again..no prom was needed but cant hurt to upgrade either.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&autoview=sku
Old 11-22-2008, 03:30 AM
corvette_bob
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mac85
...I'm just a bit concerned about the Crane from the comments that Corvette Bob made about he Crane.
Just because I don't care for Crane Cams doesn't make it a bad choice.
You should take the advice from Aggrevated4Life before mine. Besides, it's not worth agonizing over. Any of the cams mentioned in this thread are probably good choices...especially compared to the one that's in there now.

BTW, I don't recall what your rear end ratio is. The more duration you go for, the more you'll need the 3.07 performance gear ratio.

Finally, about a gajillion years ago I was advised that in the case of indecision, it's better to go conservative than wild.

Best of luck in your decision
Old 11-22-2008, 10:30 AM
mac85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the additional input Aggravated4life and Corvette Bob.

I do have the 3.07, so that is taken care of..

BTW Corvette Bob, the rear stance photo of your car with the wide wheels and tires look great..
Old 11-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mac85
I don't want to be radical..But I would like a nice "gated" idle. The best sounding idle I remember was a 69-Z28 with a 307 I think.. Ideals?

Number 1 cylinder cam lobe has worn down to the point the engine was backfiring into the intake.. Just recently rebuild engine ..Cam tolerances was fine then. Re-did heads and replaced lifters, and etc.. But now I will need a new cam and lifters again.. Improper break-in? Harder lifters? Not lubed properly? Just not sure...

What is your recommendations for a new cam..???

I also have the 3.07 rear end, so my road rpm's is approx. 1800..

I have nothing valuable to add but your mention of the 69' 302 grind brings back memories. I used this part # in a 327 RS camaro rebuild and it had a perfect sounding idle
Old 11-22-2008, 01:21 PM
mac85
Advanced

Originally Posted by Iroc57
I have nothing valuable to add but your mention of the 69' 302 grind brings back memories. I used this part # in a 327 RS camaro rebuild and it had a perfect sounding idle
Yep! It was a 302.. That was one great sounding combination from the factory!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:34 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Nothing better than the clatter of a solid flat tappet...Even rollers dont sound that good.
Had a 70 Z28 wiht a little larger than stock solid and man I NEVER got tired of listening to that thing run. Good stuff
Old 11-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Master__Shake_
Pro

This cam kit is basically the same camshaft stated by summit, with a set of lifters included. Same RPM range, same duration, and just a couple digits less for lift. It's cheaper than buying the cam and lifters seperate.

The only real difference is that the LSA is 110 instead of 112, so it may not be as easy to dial in as the other camshaft, but I'm sure it will run fine with the stock ECU.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 PM
mac85
Advanced

Well, I guess I lied.. I didn't place the order today.. Will not be shipped until Monday anyway..

I know this is old informatin for those that have been helping, but just in case, I'm still looking at these 3:

Lunati Part Number: 60101LK
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 256/262
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/219
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .454/.468
RPM Range: 1000-5500
LSA/ICL: 112/108

Crane #270-114132
PowerMax Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft & Lifter Kit
Lift: .440''/.454''
Duration: 270°/276°
RPM Range: 1600-5400
C.A.R.B. Approved*
LSA 114

Comp Cams #249-CL12-256-4
Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft and Lifter Kit
Lift: .449''/.456''
Duration: 256/268
RPM Range: 1200-5200
LSA 112

The Crane is the only cam that specifically states it is make for the stock set up with computer, springs etc.. But does suggest buying an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?

The Lunati says should work "in most cases" with stock springs.. In which cases would it not work?

Comp Cam doesn't really address any of those issues, but factory rep. said it "should" work with tight springs..

Still contemplating....

Last edited by mac85; 11-23-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:08 PM
corvette_bob
Drifting

It looks like you're on the right track w/ cam choices. The other guys may have better info than I do, but here are some thoughts.

As far as the stock computer goes, my hi-mileage brain thinks you're gonna be ok. Over the past several years there has been several guys that have put in some pretty good cams and they ran pretty good w/ the stock computer. For instance, a racer north of Cols.,Ohio used the GM LT4 hotcam (218*i,228*e@.050) in an '88 with 4+3, and it ran fine. There are also reports of using the ZZ4 cam (208*i,221*e) with few, if any, issues. These two cams have 112lsa if I'm mistaken. For a
stock tune, or any tune not done on a dyno, I wouldn't be too comfortable any more narrow than that. Besides, it's my understanding
that the lower the lsa number, the crummier the gas mileage.

BTW, the ZZ4 cam might not be a bad choice IF you go roller. Consider your needs when doing your research. The reasons above are why I like the Comp grind you're considering. I like Comp as they have a more ongoing R&D than the GM or Crane offerings.

If you're already running aftermarket springs, compare their specs with what's required for the new stick you choose. If they're OEM's I'd definitely suggest changing springs regardless of the cam you choose. The OEM TPI springs are only good to 5k, and that's when they were new. Couple that w/ the fact that they were supplied by the lowest bidder for about $1 or less each, over 20 years ago, and there's a good reason to upgrade springs.

Lastly, I have NO EXPERIENCE with the Lunati offerings. BUT, as I comb thru the Jeg's and Summit catalogs, there are a number of cam "manufacturers" that have grinds that closely mirror the Crane items. In my opinion, these "manufacturers" are more likely camshaft
"rebranders" that get them in a white box, then slap labels on those boxes.

I hope I'm not throwing too much confusion into the mix, but having had to make these choices in the past, I can recall what you're going thru in the selection process. Again, best of luck in your choice.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:28 PM
mac85
Advanced

Default Finally a decision on the cam/lifter kit!!

Finally I made a decision..

I ordered the Crane 114132 and lifter kit from Jegs..approx..$182 shipped.

I really wanted to feel good about the Comp Cams or the Lunati, but just couldn't get enough information to do so.. I just don't have enough experience to fill in the gaps..

What I did find on the internet searches over and over, were references to success and satisfaction with the 114132. SO that's the primary reason I went with the 114132..

I very much appreciate all the input and time everyone has taken to help me. I will let you know what the out come is..
Old 11-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Master__Shake_
Pro

Well it seems you made your choice and, as the LSA shows, it may be the best for the stock ECU. Whether you choose CompCams, Crane, Lunati, Edelbrock, Crower, or even Summit, they are all proven street/strip cams. Some swear by CompCams, others by Crane or even Isky but, for your extremely mild street application, I think you made the best conservative choice.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:18 PM
mac85
Advanced

Thank you Master__Shake,

It should not go unnoticed that the Crane was one of your first suggestions..And the 114 LSA did play a major role in the choice..
Old 11-23-2008, 02:37 PM
corvette_bob
Drifting

For what it's worth...
I also think you made a pretty good choice. Although I'm not fond of Crane's products, they've obviously been doing something right all this time or they wouldn't still be in business. The 114 LSA will also give you that compatibility you're looking for. One of the important considerations to make on anything like this is your own comfort level. You seem to have comfort with Crane so you're on your way.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 PM
mac85
Advanced

Default The Crane Cam is finally in!

Well it only took about three months but the cam is in..Many you ask that I post results so here it is..

Much better than before..smoother engine during open road cruising and gas mileage improvement.. Old average was about 18.5, now about 21..

Take-off torque has a noticeable improvement.

Idle has a nice lope, (but still have a idle wander problem I haven't chased down yet..seems to improve when the engine warms up)

More than anything else the engine just seems to "hit" harder and exhaust is louder, even though I didn't change anything..

Thanks for all the input..
Old 02-12-2009, 01:07 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The idle wandering is in part because of the tune for open loop operation. That cam is just big enough that a chip change would help you, conversely its small enough that you can get by without it.

If you want it to run perfectly, have the chip redone. I would wait until a few other mods are done to take full advantage of the capabilities of the camshaft however.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Master__Shake_
Pro

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new cam.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 PM
klkordzi
Instructor

I also have been going back and forth with cam selection and was steered in the direction of the crane compucams which seemed very mild to me. I looked at the Comp Cam line and came across this one which is lissted as computer compatible
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4&autoview=sku

These also are listed as computer compatible http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...4&autoview=sku

Get notified of new replies

To Best replacement cam for an 85/L98

Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 PM
mac85
Advanced

Originally Posted by klkordzi
I also have been going back and forth with cam selection and was steered in the direction of the crane compucams which seemed very mild to me. I looked at the Comp Cam line and came across this one which is lissted as computer compatible

These also are listed as computer compatible http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...4&autoview=sku
That's one of the cams I considered.. I'm sure it would be fine..Comp Cams have a nice software package on their website you can download and have some fun with..
Old 02-13-2009, 09:56 PM
86Pacecar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by klkordzi

I'm running the 262 cam in my 86. It has a stock chip with heeaders and runs well. It has a wandering idle that hopefully a custom tune will take care of as it is annoying while cruising in OD when the RPM's are low. It has run a best of 13.5 but consistant 13.7 - 13.8's with a 2400 stall. I would recommend the cam to others but if I had to do it again I would go with the 268 and definately do the tune at the same time.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:00 AM
Zackery Pollard
3rd Gear

Default WTB: lt1 fuel rail, and a few misc parts

Hi, as the title states; im looking for a good lt1 fuel rail preferably with good injectors. Also looking for a 86-89 ecm. And the gold zf6 black tag or t56. Im located in northern indiana. I listed needed items in order of greatest need

Quick Reply: Best replacement cam for an 85/L98