C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 LT1 Corvette start and after few seconds die

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:31 AM
elialpi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 LT1 Corvette start and after few seconds die

Hi, I am in Italy and here no technician has experience in Corvette engine. I own a Wrangler TJ with 1996 LT1 corvette engine and 4L60E tranny made by Sunray engineering. I have used the car for one month since the arrive from USA and last weekend after the engine start it dies after few seconds. After 5/10 attempts the car start normally and and I have used it for few days without problem. Today I have start again the engine and the car makes the same problem: start and after few seconds die). I have made 30 attempts but the problem is still present. I have an OBD2 reader and it says "problem P0122 (throttle position sensor low voltage). I do not understand if the problem of the engine was depending of the P0122 error of if it is just a coincidence and the problem is different. Unfortunately here in Italy I can't find a new TPS and I can't check. I should like to receive some opinions. Thank you. Mario

Last edited by elialpi; 12-06-2008 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 AM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

When you turn the ignition key to the "on".....without cranking the engine, do you hear the fuel pump whine briefly and then stop? Since you are using a different chasis (i.e. not a corvette), I am wondering what kind of fuel pump you have in the tank and whether or not it is putting out sufficient pressure.

Originally Posted by elialpi
Hi, I am in Italy and here no technician has experience in Corvette engine. I own a Wrangler TJ with 1996 LT1 corvette engine and 4L60E tranny made by Sunray engineering. I have used the car for one month since the arrive from USA and last weekend after the engine start it dies after few seconds. After 5/10 attempts the car start normally and and I have used it for few days without problem. Today I have start again the engine and the car makes the same problem: start and after few seconds die). I have made 30 attempts but the problem is still present. I have an OBD2 reader and it says "problem P0122 (throttle position sensor low voltage). I do not understand if the problem of the engine was depending of the P0122 error of if it is just a coincidence and the problem is different. Unfortunately here in Italy I can't find a new TPS and I can't check. I should like to receive some opinions. Thank you. Mario
Old 12-06-2008, 11:19 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

First thing I'd do is disconnect the battery for about 30 seconds to clear the stored code from the PCM.

I'd then try re-starting the engine to see if the same problem persists and/or the same or more codes show up. If the same code returns and you can't buy a TPS where you are, I'd contact someone to send you a TPS from the US.

Cure the code problem and your starting problem may go away. But even if the problem remains, you still need to address the code.

Keep us posted.

Jake
Old 12-06-2008, 11:38 AM
elialpi
6th Gear

Thank you for your answers. When I turn the key I hear the fuel pump running. I have disconnected the fuel line and I have checked that the fuel pressure is OK. I have ordered in Ebay USA a new TPS ($25 for the TPS and $35 for the shipping. As soon as I will receive the part I will replace the TPS and I hope to fix the problem. Really I do not understand why the engineers have chose to stop the engine when it receives a low voltage from the TPS . Mario
Old 12-06-2008, 03:23 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

You could damage the engine w/o that signal.
It's to protect it.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:24 AM
elialpi
6th Gear

Thank you for your advise. I am still waiting the new TPS hoping that it will fix the problem!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:31 PM
elialpi
6th Gear

Now the TPS works well but the engine still start and dies after 5/10 seconds. The code reader does not show error and the check engine lamp if off. The fuel is coming well. I think that the computer stalls the engine but I do not understand why? It is there an anti-thief that works in this way in the computer software?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

First question, are you sure you have the correct ECM, it sounds like you do, but it's a thought.

Second, check all of your wires, plugs, etc. Could be your opti spark distributor. Could be fuel injectors. At this point it could be alot of things. But it's most likely fuel or spark.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 LT1 Corvette start and after few seconds die

Quick Reply: 1996 LT1 Corvette start and after few seconds die