C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What's causing my rear to scoot sideways??

Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 AM
89FX3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's causing my rear to scoot sideways??

Whenever I shift or apply throttle on my 1996 CE/LT4 6 speed coupe, the rear end scoots to one side and then corrects back to center. This is more pronounced above 60 mph and is ocurring even after installing new:

rear differential, positraction, bearings & yokes;

drive shaft u joints;

ZFdoc C Beam beam plates;

Dennys half shafts w/ u joints;

rear spring, QA1 shocks & Baniski trailing arm; and

rear wheel bearings.

I'm to understand that this can ocurr if your C Beam is loose, but mine should be tight as a drum.

Any informed thoughts on what might be causing it would be appreciated.

Last edited by 89FX3; 12-08-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 12-08-2008, 11:30 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm sure you checked this, but make sure your tire pressure is good on both sides.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:45 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Random thoughts:

Does it happen with and w/o traction control engaged? Could me malfunctioning system? (Doesn't this work by pulsing brakes on spinning wheels? What if one side is working and the other is not?)

Are you sure rear alignment is correct?

Are you sure new posi is working correctly? (Maybe have someone trail and watch to see if both tires react the same under WOT).

Have you done any work on rear brakes....

And, of course, tires & tire pressure.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:55 AM
89FX3
Racer

Originally Posted by TA
I'm sure you checked this, but make sure your tire pressure is good on both sides.
Will do. But I don't think that's the issue, though, since it did it before all the goodies were installed and w/ good tire pressure.

I'm suspicious the C Beam & plates aren't tight.

But, if that's the case, wouldn't I feel movement in the shifter when it happens??

Last edited by 89FX3; 12-08-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 AM
89FX3
Racer

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Random thoughts:

Does it happen with and w/o traction control engaged? Could me malfunctioning system? (Doesn't this work by pulsing brakes on spinning wheels? What if one side is working and the other is not?)

Are you sure rear alignment is correct?

Are you sure new posi is working correctly? (Maybe have someone trail and watch to see if both tires react the same under WOT).

Have you done any work on rear brakes....

And, of course, tires & tire pressure.
Gregg: it has a fresh alignment but I'm taking it back Tuesday for its 500 mile break in check up & dyno tune.

It's doing the same "scoot" it did before installing all new parts.

Rear brake pads (not calipers) & bearings are new.

Are you saying to punch off the ASR??

Bart

Last edited by 89FX3; 12-08-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:01 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Did you add the GM Posi additive after the diff work? What weight of gear oil went in??

Check the rear toe arms at the center; are the bolts that hold the center part of the tie rod assembly to the batwing tight? Also check that the batwing itself is mounted properly and the bushing at each end are in place and in good condition. Also check the sway bar connections and bushings.

I would think that there would have to be a major difference in tire pressure to get the car to move sideways at a shift outside of a loss of traction by one wheel. It would be evident at WOT shifts, but if you feel/see it at part throttle shifts, the problem will most likely be in the rear suspension somewhere, the posi, or the C-beam.

With the ASR left on, the first thing the system does to keep the car straight is change throttle position. That would be felt as a pulsation in the gas pedal. Input to ASR is from the lateral accelerometer and the wheel speed sensors. If the car doesn't yaw a lot in this case (not geting sideways on WOT acceleration) then the VSS input kicks in the ASR.

After throttle modulation by the ASR, then there is a reduction of ignition timing, followed by brake application through the ABS system. I would think that if what you feel is just a quick and short movement, then the problem is in the back of the car.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:09 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 95 also has had the side "scoot" for as long as I can remember. I tend to drive the car pretty gently but, on the occasional time where I start sharply from a stop, there is a definite "shifting" I can feel (I think the rear shifts leftward) which is most noticeable when I have the ASR disengaged.

Doug
Old 12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
96vetteLT4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 1996 CE LT 4 and had the similar problem. After doing everything to the rear it still did the scoot... It always seemed there was just to much power and it wouldnt hook. Then someone pointed me in the direction of tires. I did have the runflat tires and I had heard that that could be a problem. Well I put the new Goodyear Tires on, non runflats and like magic it was gone. Stright ahead at all speeds. I dont know what kind of tires you have on but if its the runflats I would take a look at them, good chance that might be your problem....G
Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM
89FX3
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Did you add the GM Posi additive after the diff work? What weight of gear oil went in??

Check the rear toe arms at the center; are the bolts that hold the center part of the tie rod assembly to the batwing tight? Also check that the batwing itself is mounted properly and the bushing at each end are in place and in good condition. Also check the sway bar connections and bushings.

I would think that there would have to be a major difference in tire pressure to get the car to move sideways at a shift outside of a loss of traction by one wheel. It would be evident at WOT shifts, but if you feel/see it at part throttle shifts, the problem will most likely be in the rear suspension somewhere, the posi, or the C-beam.

With the ASR left on, the first thing the system does to keep the car straight is change throttle position. That would be felt as a pulsation in the gas pedal. Input to ASR is from the lateral accelerometer and the wheel speed sensors. If the car doesn't yaw a lot in this case (not geting sideways on WOT acceleration) then the VSS input kicks in the ASR.

After throttle modulation by the ASR, then there is a reduction of ignition timing, followed by brake application through the ABS system. I would think that if what you feel is just a quick and short movement, then the problem is in the back of the car.
Again, I'll check the tire pressure but I'm pretty sure it's ok.

There's been no ASR throttle kick-down involved when it yaws on part-throttle acceleration.

And we did put in the GM slip diff additive w/ Mobil 1 synthetic diff fluid (75-90 wt).

Yeah, I need to make sure they check the whole drive train for alignment & tightness.

Thanks-Bart

Last edited by 89FX3; 12-09-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:07 PM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

This may be one of those urban legends, because I have no first hand experience, but I've heard that synthetic is too slippery for a conventional posi to work correctly, even with the additive. You might look into this, and try some conventional lube.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM
89FX3
Racer

Originally Posted by 96vetteLT4
I also have a 1996 CE LT 4 and had the similar problem. After doing everything to the rear it still did the scoot... It always seemed there was just to much power and it wouldnt hook. Then someone pointed me in the direction of tires. I did have the runflat tires and I had heard that that could be a problem. Well I put the new Goodyear Tires on, non runflats and like magic it was gone. Stright ahead at all speeds. I dont know what kind of tires you have on but if its the runflats I would take a look at them, good chance that might be your problem....G
Tires are now Michelin PS2 A/S, not run flats, just like the ones on my 89FX3 which doesn't scoot around.

It did the same thing w/ a set of Yokohama performance summer tires.

Last edited by 89FX3; 12-09-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:10 PM
89FX3
Racer

Originally Posted by lite blue
This may be one of those urban legends, because I have no first hand experience, but I've heard that synthetic is too slippery for a conventional posi to work correctly, even with the additive. You might look into this, and try some conventional lube.
Interesting point.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:11 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

What I wanna know is how can you drive that thing and hang your head out the window far enough to watch the rear end slide sideways under full acceleration
Hence the two headed dragon????
Old 12-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

I gotta tell ya I am trying to figure out how anything other than tires would cause this. Isn't the batwing bolted directly in? There should be no flex at the differential even if the c-beam is loose. I could see noise caused by the tranny to diff case flex but that is it.

I am just trying to understand this as I have a "scoot" but i dismiss it as a traction issue. I have a bit of a traction issue

Old 12-08-2008, 03:08 PM
MITCH
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This would happen to me when the needle bearing for the u joint fell out of the cup.Has happend to me twice.
Mitch
Old 12-08-2008, 03:37 PM
89FX3
Racer

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
What I wanna know is how can you drive that thing and hang your head out the window far enough to watch the rear end slide sideways under full acceleration
Hence the two headed dragon????
As interesting as that image is, you feel the rear "scoot" to one side then come back to center all while lookin' straight ahead.

Last edited by 89FX3; 12-09-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:00 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

My 92 does the same thing now. I just assumed it was from the batwing and 4 bar bushings being worn out.

Since our stuff is all new I have to hazard a guess that some how your getting rear toe change under acceleration.
Will

Get notified of new replies

To What's causing my rear to scoot sideways??

Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Suggest measuring the circumference of the rear tires.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey
i would do this along with checking your u-joints. if a needle bearing broke and one has slop you will get exactly what you speak of. also worn rear end bushings can cause this under load since the rear end will shift with the power being applied. energy bushings cured my problem of walk and of breaking u joints.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey

And make sure the road you "burn rubber" on is level too....most roads are built with a slope for H20 drainage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's causing my rear to scoot sideways??