C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Vette Rear bumper cover replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 08:04 PM

Default 1985 Vette Rear bumper cover replacement??

i need to replace the rear bumper cover on my 85, i cant find a orig GM one so i am considering a aftermarket like ACI, has anybody installed one of these??? i am wondering how the fittment is? are they any good or are they junk? any help is appreciated, or if anyone has a NOS or absolutly MINT one they want to sell let me know thanks,,,Rick.....kamarossrs@aol.com
Old 01-18-2002, 09:04 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: 1985 Vette Rear bumper cover replacement?? (Kamarossrs)

My 0.2 cents. Buy on oem...The glass ones spinder web when they are bumped. They are not that hard to do if you have loooong skinner arms. Remove plate and tail lights and use the opening to get to the top bolts.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:50 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: 1985 Vette Rear bumper cover replacement?? (corvette0096)

I hear ACI has pretty good fitting bumpers..but they all need some finishing work and may need extra work to align with the body.Even installing a used GM bumper off another Vette wont always align up!
With fiberglass ones, you may need to drill and grind your holes for the support brackets and etc.The edges amy need some sanding or grinding/or extra added fiberglass by you or a body shop to fit better with the back panels.

Ecklers sell GM replacement bumpers and you can give them a call.However be prepared to spend anywhere from 800-1,000 bucks total.
Theyre not cheap anymore.They do have fiberglass replacement ones for around 495 i think.

Vanacors corvette supply sells these rear fiberglass bumpers for about 395,cheapest ive found.
They are also coming with the thin moldings already preformed into the fiberglass ones or you can use your old molding trim.However,these stock molding trims rust on their studs rendering them useless and need to be cut off.GM discontinued one of the rear belt moldings now,so theyre harder to come by to ensure a complete finish.

You may be better off buying a used GM urethane one from one of the corvette salvage yards.I think in PA theres a yard called contemporary corvettes.I dont rem their web site addy.They have alot of parts there.
You can do a search for these salvage yards at http://www.google.com and youll turn up a few sites...try and find the nearest ne by you because these bumpers must be shipped frieght and can run you over 125 dollars for shipping by truck.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:23 AM
RockeVette95
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1985 Vette Rear bumper cover replacement?? (Kamarossrs)

Check out Ecklers saw some in their catalog last night.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Vette Rear bumper cover replacement??

Quick Reply: 1985 Vette Rear bumper cover replacement??