C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Add a vacuum pump to assist popwer booster

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add a vacuum pump to assist power booster

Anyone added a vacuum pump to assist vacuum to the power booster?

Since I installed the LT4 Hot Cam, my vacuum from the intake to the booster varies between 12 and 15 psi at idle. Too low to supply enough vacuum for the power brakes. I installed another power booster and still have the same results...not enough vacuum. Wasted $180.00. Runs good but now feel/see a drop of about 100 rpms at idle from time to time in park and in gear.

Tuned by pcmforless. Installed Bosch III injectors and Bryan says the data scan shows it is on the money.

Last edited by Eddie & the Cruisers; 01-10-2009 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hotcam really shouldn't reduce vacuum so that it won't work the brakes, it isn't nearly that radical. I had a Hotcam in my car and it did not cause this. I suspected something is up, perhaps a bad booster or crack in the vacuum hose to the booster.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 AM
PDQUIK95
Burning Brakes

Location: Portsmouth Virginia 396LT4 435RWHP/400RWTQ Best so far 11.26 @ 123mph
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated above, 12 to 13 lbs. should be sufficient to operate the power brake booster. You may have a vacuum leak somewhere else in the line. A Hot cam is not that much cam for the engine. I run 12 lbs. of vacuum at the manifold with no power brake problems.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
jmeyer58
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 118 Posts

Another suggestion is to put a new checkvalve in the line so that the booster will have the vacuum from when the car was off idle. Yours may not be hoding the vacuum.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

As suggested change the check valve & also replace the hose to the check valve. Booster hoses deteriorate from the inside out.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:30 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Agree with the above statements. I used to have a hotcam and absolutely no problem with vacuum / brakes. My new engine has a much larger cam and still no vacuum / brake problems.

Check your vacuum lines and check valve and you should be fine unless the booster just happened to crap out at the same time.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Before the cam install, the old booster, check valve and new brake pads were fine...no problem at all for 2 years.

Since the cam install 6 months ago when the problem started, I finally installed a new booster, new check valve and new hose to the intake port fitting just yesterday and have the same results. It seems that neither booster (old or new) has enough volume of vacuum to assist the brakes. I have checked all the vacuum lines that I could find and all seem to be OK.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:31 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

One alternative

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Ultimate solution
http://hydratechbraking.com/products/c4vette/
Old 01-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Eddie & the Cruisers
Before the cam install, the old booster, check valve and new brake pads were fine...no problem at all for 2 years.

Since the cam install 6 months ago when the problem started, I finally installed a new booster, new check valve and new hose to the intake port fitting just yesterday and have the same results. It seems that neither booster (old or new) has enough volume of vacuum to assist the brakes. I have checked all the vacuum lines that I could find and all seem to be OK.
This is a bit of a reach, but perhaps the cam timing is off or maybe what you installed wasn't really a Hotcam. My car has a cam much, much bigger than a Hotcam and it has plenty of vacuum.

There has to be something else going on here.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Thanks, rodj, I am leaning toward a cannister addition.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mojave
This is a bit of a reach, but perhaps the cam timing is off or maybe what you installed wasn't really a Hotcam. My car has a cam much, much bigger than a Hotcam and it has plenty of vacuum.

There has to be something else going on here.
Don't know what you are referring to stating perhaps it 'wasn't really a Hot Cam.' It is the GM LT4 Hot Cam kit w/ 1.6 rr's, HD springs and new HD roller lifters, ported heads and headers. Beats the h*ll out of a stock LT1 cam.

The timing is right on, no knocks on pump 93 octane gas, can break the 11" tires loose at 40-45 mph at WOT on the street....can't get the 11" tires to hook up on the track at WOT and will continue loose down the tract almost to the finish (1/8 mi track) and its a convertible (200# heavier than a coupe and I weigh 250).

I don't need a monster cam as some people do. If you can't be helpful, go peddle your sarcasm some where else.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a canister on my 86 Monte Carlo SS. The cam in that car isn't too radical, either, but braking was like pressing against a brick wall. Installed the canister and now I don't have a problem.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QuikZilver
I run a canister on my 86 Monte Carlo SS. The cam in that car isn't too radical, either, but braking was like pressing against a brick wall. Installed the canister and now I don't have a problem.
Thanks for your input. That is exactly what I'm experiencing.
I will be looking at one and a place to mount it.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:36 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't you mean 12 to 15 inches of mercury pressure? 12 to 15 psi isn't right!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:27 AM
Fastmax32168
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know what you are referring to stating perhaps it 'wasn't really a Hot Cam.' It is the GM LT4 Hot Cam kit w/ 1.6 rr's, HD springs and new HD roller lifters, ported heads and headers. Beats the h*ll out of a stock LT1 cam.

The timing is right on, no knocks on pump 93 octane gas, can break the 11" tires loose at 40-45 mph at WOT on the street....can't get the 11" tires to hook up on the track at WOT and will continue loose down the tract almost to the finish (1/8 mi track) and its a convertible (200# heavier than a coupe and I weigh 250).

I don't need a monster cam as some people do. If you can't be helpful, go peddle your sarcasm some where else.
I dont read anything sarcastic in that guys origonal post. I think he was trying to be genuinely helpful. Lots of stuff gets peddled nowadays as something that its not.
Roy
Old 01-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

.....here is the first page of a thread that was started a while back..somewhere in it i discussed making a "test" vacuum reservoir for those with radical cams and low vacuum...

....the test unit would only cost les then $10 and would/could have saved you some bucks...lot of good info in the thread so, i would read it if you care to...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...n-finally.html

Last edited by Da Mail Man; 01-11-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: forgot link!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:27 AM
larry00
Race Director

Originally Posted by MarkBychowski
Agree with the above statements. I used to have a hotcam and absolutely no problem with vacuum / brakes. My new engine has a much larger cam and still no vacuum / brake problems.

Check your vacuum lines and check valve and you should be fine unless the booster just happened to crap out at the same time.
My custom Comp Cam runs as low as 11 lbs at idle and no brake booster problem.
I understand if you have 10 lbs or better you are OK !

Get notified of new replies

To Add a vacuum pump to assist popwer booster

Old 01-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fastmax32168
I dont read anything sarcastic in that guys origonal post. I think he was trying to be genuinely helpful. Lots of stuff gets peddled nowadays as something that its not.
Roy
<helpful response>I wasn't sure if you got the cam used, in which case there was a chance it wasn't a Hotcam. Also, my point in mentioning the cam size of my car is that my brakes work just fine. I'm 100% sure your cam isn't causing your brake booster problems.</helpful response>

<sarcasm on> Once you add your vacuum canister and it doesn't fix your problem, you can come tell I'm right. <sarcasm off>
Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jfb
Don't you mean 12 to 15 inches of mercury pressure? 12 to 15 psi isn't right!
Yes, I should have said 'inches of vacuum'.

Originally Posted by Fastmax32168
Roy
You are right, just got tired of suggestions to check the hoses, replace the check valve, replace the booster, might not be a Hot Cam, might be out of time, etc., etc. Those are the first things any half-mechanically knowledgeable person would check or replace and were addressed in my first 2 posts.

Originally Posted by Mojave
<helpful response>I wasn't sure if you got the cam used, in which case there was a chance it wasn't a Hotcam. Also, my point in mentioning the cam size of my car is that my brakes work just fine. I'm 100% sure your cam isn't causing your brake booster problems.</helpful response>

I quote from your previous post, "There has to be something else going on here." It was, an upsetting family situation.

<sarcasm on> Once you add your vacuum canister and it doesn't fix your problem, you can come tell I'm right. <sarcasm off>
Sorry, Mojave, I had just experienced a troubling family situation that had happened and should not have been posting. Actually, and as I notice, happened in your area, so I guess you were lucky and I picked you to take out my frustrations. Sorry again.
Could cost my GS graduation in 4 months, or the job offer after graduation. Dumb, stupid, wasn't raised that way. What can I say? 21 year old College grownups with a bright future.
Thanks for your input.

Just a thought.
How many times do you post or read a post and see that a responder either doesn't read all of the post or reads the title and immediately starts diagnosing the problem using all the things the original poster stated he did or tried with no success.
Just a thought.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Those are the first things any half-mechanically knowledgeable person would check or replace
But the problem is we get a lot of people post up a problem and they haven't even done basic inspection first, let alone the obvious stuff.

Check the "my car won't start" posts.
Most run something like ;
"I turned the key and it won't start; what is the problem?"

Quick Reply: Add a vacuum pump to assist popwer booster