C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

700R4 Swap/Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 PM
eremoy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R4 Swap/Rebuild?

My dad's 84' sat for seven years before we fixed it up recently. Everything works fine except for a MAP code being thrown... oh yeah and the transmission is basically blown. It doesn't shift into 3rd and 4th anymore so we took it to Aamco for their "free inspection." First of all it wasn't free, they charged $90 for the tow and the "free inspection" was merely a drive around the block by the technician to tell us it wasn't shifting So now they want about $1,800 for a rebuild after tax. That includes the torque converter and a one year warranty. We though that was a little steep so we were contemplating picking up an already rebuilt 700R4 and doing the work ourselves.

Now the tech. at Aamco said the Corvette takes a 700R4 that is specifically designed for it. He said they are stronger and require a shorter slip yoke as opposed to other model R4's. I'm wondering if this is to deter us from doing the work ourselves though.

So if we were to do the swap ourselves do we need to get a 700R4 specifically for a 'vette? And do you guys reccomend a website to get one from as well as the torque converter?

Thanks guys
Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,005 Likes on 837 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default vette

Why not rebuild the one you have. You know it fits. I have heard vette r4's may be shorter, but im no expert.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

He is correct in that the corvette 700 is different from others. However you can still make a different one fit provided you use the right parts when building it. And most people dont charge $1800 to do it, thats just
Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Demonic85
He is correct in that the corvette 700 is different from others. However you can still make a different one fit provided you use the right parts when building it. And most people dont charge $1800 to do it, thats just

Hi, rebuild Your 84 Corvette tranny. Have an ASE certified mechanic experienced in rebuilding trannys. Just find someone else less costly !

700R4's are not too forgiving if mistakes are made upon assembly or any oversights.

You cant easily use a passenger car 700R4 tranny for your 1984 Vette. The rear output shaft is shorter. About 1-1/2 inches.

Vettes have special valvebody calibrations too.

Also have extra clutches installed for 3-4 drum ***.

Best C4 700R4's were build in mid 1987- 1992.

Direct swap for your 1984 with the matching torque converter.

BR
Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 PM
M. Schumacher
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite a few forum members have done their own transmission rebuilds with excellent results. You can obtain a DVD video which actually walks you though the process. You'll probably end up spending as much as the quote that you got from AAMCO because you will need to get certain specialized tools. However you'll gain a great deal of knowledge, you'll know the job was done correctly and completely, and you only have to buy the tools once.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

OMG, stay away from Aamco! Seriously, I will tell you of my experience with that shop. I wouldn't let them fix a chain on a bicycle! My previous '89 coupe had 7 rebuilds from them in 18 months and it never shifted correctly after they touched it. This was 7 years ago. The original transmission blew on the highway and I made the mistake of taking it Aamco. They did the diagnostic. I bought the lifetime warranty which was a good thing. Every couple of months or so, it would lose 4th and then third. I never drag raced or did burnouts. Every time the pan had metal shavings in it. The problem was that they put the springs and pins in the wrong spots in the valve body every time and that resulted in low fluid pressures which destroyed the unit in no time. Not to mention that it shifted like an Impala. I would never go to Aamco. Aamco----Maaco
Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rebuilding a 700R4 is not rocket science. I did mine using the B&M Master kit(there are very likely better kits out there). I did not buy any special tools. There were two places I needed help because of tools. Local shop charged me $15.00 each to do what I couldn't. It was a slow process but both fun and satisfying. Cost, something like $350-$400. Got a deal on the kit.
The following users liked this post:
Fiberbundle (03-29-2019)
Old 01-12-2009, 10:49 PM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ha, you think $1,800 was expensive? I was quoted 3.6 grand for a rebuild. Made me think twice about it and I did it myself, learning along the way. Give Dana at Probuilt Automatics a call - he makes kits for the DIY rebuilder, sells Torque Converters, and will answer your calls and questions day and night. Visit 700r4l60e.com for more info.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solid advice here, I don't mess with trans rebuilds but that is just me. There have been a few on here that swear by the DIY video

Whatever you decide, use the original. It will be easier because if it comes out it goes back in with no issues. I didn't look to see where you were located but with a little research you can find someone good to do it for $1K or less and then you put back in and you are good to go.

Get used to doing your own work and stay away from chain stores when you are over your head. The big chains tend to be a bit pricey
Old 01-13-2009, 12:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

I had the local store take it out, put it on a palette and send it to Rossler Transmissions. I do some of my own work but at some point, I have to draw the line at the DIY route. I don't want to buy a tool that I have no use for after the job and have it sitting for the next 10 years

Get notified of new replies

To 700R4 Swap/Rebuild?

Quick Reply: 700R4 Swap/Rebuild?