C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 corvette engine swap to 383 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM
keithj
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 corvette engine swap to 383 stroker

I recently aquired a 1986 Corvette with the stock 350 5.7 TPI with auto trans. It has 113k on it. Although it runs good now I know that in the future I will want to change engines and I have heard the 383 stroker is the way to go. Has anyone experienced this engine swap and if so how did it turn out. What problems did you encounter ect. Thanks to all who respond.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

Welcome to the list and congratulations on your purchase.

I recommend that you spend time becoming familiar with the search function. You tend to get better responses when you ask new questions.

The bottom line is that many have done it and have been happy with the results but you need to read the details. After doing that, you will probably have a more specific question.

Best wishes.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:24 PM
combustables
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Don't do it. STAY STOCK and actually drive the car

I did the swap and I can tell you it was one GIGANTIC pain in the keester. It took over 4 years to get the car going right again.

I had chip programming problems, cooling problems, broken valve spring problems and was overcharged by almost everyone I dealt with alongthe way. I have a very bad taste in my mouth at this point and bought a new vette during that ordeal.

My advice is simple, if you want to do the work yourself, take advantage of the wealth of information available for you while you rebuild your ORIGINAL engine. DON'T go for a different configuration that requires re-chipping.

The minute you change the engine is the the instant you invite all these problems that I mentioned. You will be going down a long and lonely road :-)

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I did the swap and it was as simple as changing the motor over. As far as tuning goes, just make sure you get the right people involved. I took mine to places like Lingenfelter and High Tech Motorsport for their live tuning./
Old 01-16-2009, 03:55 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I also did the swap and had no problems. Same block, different internals. I run an Accel DFI setup, so tuning changes were done on my laptop. As with anything else, the success or failure of a project depends on the planning and the preparation beforehand and the skill and knowlege of the people behind it. The 383 was good for low 11's at the track.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 corvette engine swap to 383 stroker

Quick Reply: 1986 corvette engine swap to 383 stroker