C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust Manifold Heat Shields

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:30 PM
1irishprince
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Manifold Heat Shields

I am trying to clean up the heat shields on my exhaust manifolds. Can anyone tell me what they are made of? Aluminum or steel? If steel, is there a coating on them that keeps them from rusting? I notice a pair I have has dents in them but rust stain is almost non existant, while my original pair don't have any dents, but have rust stains. I would like to shine these up and use them instead of the ones that are dented up. Any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1irishprince
I am trying to clean up the heat shields on my exhaust manifolds. Can anyone tell me what they are made of? Aluminum or steel? If steel, is there a coating on them that keeps them from rusting? I notice a pair I have has dents in them but rust stain is almost non existant, while my original pair don't have any dents, but have rust stains. I would like to shine these up and use them instead of the ones that are dented up. Any suggestions?
brass wire brush on a drill is what I use in the basic metals under the hood but I am not a detail freak.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:15 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

They are galvanized sheet steel. Rust will stain the galvanizing.

You might try a very high temp paint. There are some paints at are rated up to 800 or so degrees. I believe you can find one that is aluminum colored.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 PM
1irishprince
Racer

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
They are galvanized sheet steel. Rust will stain the galvanizing.

You might try a very high temp paint. There are some paints at are rated up to 800 or so degrees. I believe you can find one that is aluminum colored.
Thanks, thats the info I needed. I have some aluminum colored ceramic paint thats rated for intermitent 500 degree temps, but I am not sure if that would be high enough.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:05 PM
my83432
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not. I will be ok for a short time but will burn off.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

You can have them coated, great way of keep the heat down under the hood.

I had them coat my headers, here's what they look like
Old 01-18-2009, 10:58 PM
1irishprince
Racer

All I have are the stock manifolds...not worth coating. ZYours, on the other hand look like chrome
Old 01-18-2009, 11:16 PM
dustmann
Racer

I use high temp grill paint. Black. Later on the stock header I remove all the EGR stuff and welded the holes. Also cut out and ported. Then welded any hole I made. Cut the donut flange off the bottom, ported more and weld them put a 3" collector with mandrel bent down pipes. Last had all of it ceramic coated. Something to do ever winter. I think it was $80 for the coating rest was my free time.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:47 PM
1irishprince
Racer

i have the same setup...polished and ported plenum, slp runners, edelbrock high-flo, polished fuel rails, roller rockers, but iron heads, stock exhaust manifolds with the tubes cut off and welded shut. I'll probably get some shorty headers and coat or chrome them. But still isnt a bad deal at $80. Did they coat the shields as well?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 AM
dustmann
Racer

Yes, they did coat the shields. I had them do several thing at the same time. Better price. Upper intake, Runners, heatshields under the car, brackets, any parts I had off for my rebuild that could be coated. I had polished the intake and runners first and that did look better. But I had to polish it also. Not any more. Plus the heat coating I thought would help.
Do not get the shorty headers. I did that and had fitment problems. Plus I thought my stocker look the same. So I did the cutting, porting and welding on them and put them back on. The best thing is I can get to the spark plug agian.
I would like to go with full lenght headers. But $600 and up. I will wait and get some used ones one day.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:37 AM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1irishprince
http://www.eastwood.com/stainless-st...14-pc-set.html

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Manifold Heat Shields

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold Heat Shields