C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 LT4 Airfoil and Throttle Body Bypass upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 11:56 AM
MaddMaxx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 LT4 Airfoil and Throttle Body Bypass upgrades?

Can anyone tell me the Pros and Cons of adding the Throttle Body Bypass and Airfoil upgrades? I have seen the kits on ebay for 5-10 bucks.

Thanks Max :flag
Old 01-22-2002, 12:19 PM
Scooby
Instructor

Default Re: 1996 LT4 Airfoil and Throttle Body Bypass upgrades? (MaddMaxx)

Most people, myself included would say forget about the airfoil, doesn't do a thing. The TB bypass is free and worthwhile. Just disconnect the 2 small coolant hoses from the TB and connect the hose from the drivers side onto the pipe where the passenger side just came off. You have bypassed the TB. To clean things up you can slip a couple of vacuum line plugs/nipples over the TB 'holes' and install better quality hose clamps if you like. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:27 PM
Arisa
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 1996 LT4 Airfoil and Throttle Body Bypass upgrades? (Scooby)

Welcome Madd.

The TB bypass on the 96' is a freebee. Do it! No biggie. I wouldn't do the air foil myself. Seems several people have had thier engine digest the screw that holds the foil in place. Not to good !!!

Neal
Old 01-22-2002, 12:29 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: 1996 LT4 Airfoil and Throttle Body Bypass upgrades? (Arisa)

airfoil is a waste of money, no one i know of has had a performance increase because of it, but you should do the bypass
Old 01-22-2002, 03:24 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 1996 LT4 Airfoil and Throttle Body Bypass upgrades? (vader86)

vist http://www.ws6.com for dyno sheet on airfoil and by-pass mods. Do the by-pass :yesnod:
Old 01-22-2002, 04:47 PM
Ed Ut
Burning Brakes

Most people, myself included would say forget about the airfoil, doesn't do a thing. The TB bypass is free and worthwhile. Just disconnect the 2 small coolant hoses from the TB and connect the hose from the drivers side onto the pipe where the passenger side just came off. You have bypassed the TB. To clean things up you can slip a couple of vacuum line plugs/nipples over the TB 'holes' and install better quality hose clamps if you like. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Precisely how I did mine, including upgrading the clamps.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:45 PM
Scooby
Instructor

Default Re: 1996 LT4 Airfoil and Throttle Body Bypass upgrades? (Ed Ut)

Ed,

Where did you get the LT4 emblem on the rear bumper?

thanks
Old 01-22-2002, 11:26 PM
Ed Ut
Burning Brakes

You can get them at Eckler's and Mid America Designs, Inc. Mid America is about $3 or $4 cheaper. The are "self sticking". Just clean the area with windex or ammonia, etc. to clean the wax off the paint.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:08 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I say go for it!

Air foil- Its an increase in HP you wont feel on the road but your throttle response is crisper. Plus when combined with a nice intake your sure to perform better than stock. I had mine machined so its very smooth. The air foil usually comes with a rough texture which hinders the air travel.
Air will now rush in with a guided flow thus making the air meter adjust accordingly with the balanced air travel.

BYPASS TB- Your TB will be about 20 deg cooler thus o2 is more condense so it will burn more efficiently which will lead t more HP!

Gotta love physics and chemistry! :cheers:

[Modified by eamador11, 10:12 PM 1/22/2002]
Old 01-26-2002, 04:39 PM
MostWanted
Drifting

Default Re: 1996 LT4 Airfoil and Throttle Body Bypass upgrades? (eamador11)

Does anyone have before/after pics of the bypass. I would like to do this to my LT1 but I want to make sure I'm doing it right. It sounds simple enough but I would feel better if I could SEE it. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:27 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

You won't gain a thing with the airfoil except a lighter wallet, cheaper to buy me lunch!

The TB bypass is a freebie. I still haven't gotten around to it, but I'm a lazy bastard.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:42 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Why do you think JUNK like that is on e-bay for sale in the first place?????????????????
Old 01-26-2002, 08:08 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff

Default Re: 1996 LT4 Airfoil and Throttle Body Bypass upgrades? (eamador11)

:rolleyes: :blueangel:
Old 01-26-2002, 08:44 PM
Scooby
Instructor

Default Re: 1996 LT4 Airfoil and Throttle Body Bypass upgrades? (TorchRedXCVI)

I don't have any pictures, but let me add some details, if there are any helpful ones, to my abbove directions. If you are standing in front of your car there are two small hoses coming out of the TB one on the driver's side and one on the pax side. They are on the bottom front of the TB. The one going to the driver side (on my 96) originates from a 'T' that flows from the radiator and runs to the TB, just follow it around to the TB. On the pax side it will exit, make a 90 and run a few inches towards the back of the car and connect to a metal tube (once again on a 96).

Now, make sure the engine is cool :-) then take the pressure off the system by taking the cap off the radiator fill point. You will still leak a some fluid when you pull the lines, so make sure you have some extra around. Disconnect both of the lines from the TB, the clamps and the hose can be stubborn. Since you are going to throw away the pax side, you can just cut that one off with a razor blade. On the driver, go ahead and cut that one at the clamp as well, since you will have plenty of spare length. Just don't get carried away. Now take the hose that came off the Driver's side and slip it on the pax side 'metal' line (tube). There is plenty left to route it from the 'T' directly back to the tube. You can re-use the old clamp or put on a new one. As I said before, I put a couple of vacuum line nipplies to cover the old tips coming from the sides of the TB for looks.

Now refill the lost fluid and you are done.

Good luck, If I can handle this one anyone can! :)
Old 02-03-2015, 12:09 AM
BigMac2395
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby
I don't have any pictures, but let me add some details, if there are any helpful ones, to my abbove directions. If you are standing in front of your car there are two small hoses coming out of the TB one on the driver's side and one on the pax side. They are on the bottom front of the TB. The one going to the driver side (on my 96) originates from a 'T' that flows from the radiator and runs to the TB, just follow it around to the TB. On the pax side it will exit, make a 90 and run a few inches towards the back of the car and connect to a metal tube (once again on a 96).

Now, make sure the engine is cool :-) then take the pressure off the system by taking the cap off the radiator fill point. You will still leak a some fluid when you pull the lines, so make sure you have some extra around. Disconnect both of the lines from the TB, the clamps and the hose can be stubborn. Since you are going to throw away the pax side, you can just cut that one off with a razor blade. On the driver, go ahead and cut that one at the clamp as well, since you will have plenty of spare length. Just don't get carried away. Now take the hose that came off the Driver's side and slip it on the pax side 'metal' line (tube). There is plenty left to route it from the 'T' directly back to the tube. You can re-use the old clamp or put on a new one. As I said before, I put a couple of vacuum line nipplies to cover the old tips coming from the sides of the TB for looks.

Now refill the lost fluid and you are done.

Good luck, If I can handle this one anyone can!
What does this do for us when we make this change?
Old 02-03-2015, 04:59 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by MostWanted
Does anyone have before/after pics of the bypass. I would like to do this to my LT1 but I want to make sure I'm doing it right. It sounds simple enough but I would feel better if I could SEE it. Thanks.

LT1 IAC housing

Simple Demo

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 02-03-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:15 AM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BigMac2395
What does this do for us when we make this change?
GM decided to add the coolant to the bottom of the IAC housing to prevent freezing?? I have yet to ever have this happen. When stock or highly moded. From all of my TPI TA's now my 3rd LT1 C4. 1st how many really drive in the winter. Except a few in the forums??? bypassing, will allow slightly more pressure. This will reduce your AIT temp level. also a slight increase in performance! allowing more timing. As in any change to take full effect, re-tuning will give you max performance. but not necessary.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 02-04-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 LT4 Airfoil and Throttle Body Bypass upgrades?

Old 02-04-2015, 08:57 PM
BigMac2395
Instructor

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
GM decided to add the coolant to the bottom of the IAC housing to prevent freezing?? I have yet to ever have this happen. When stock or highly moded. From all of my TPI TA's now my 3rd LT1 C4. 1st how many really drive in the winter. Except a few in the forums??? bypassing, will allow slightly more pressure. This will reduce your AIT temp level. also a slight increase in performance! allowing more timing. As in any change to take full effect, re-tuning will give you max performance. but not necessary.
I have a C4 LT4, so, if I do this mod, what do I do to get it retuned? What does that exactly mean? Sorry for sounding so dumb but I am not a mechanic but I am able to do the work.....just an HVAC guy....
Thanks
Russell
Old 02-04-2015, 09:36 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BigMac2395
I have a C4 LT4, so, if I do this mod, what do I do to get it retuned? What does that exactly mean? Sorry for sounding so dumb but I am not a mechanic but I am able to do the work.....just an HVAC guy....
Thanks
Russell
HVAC you can absolutely relate to this. In essence you are a mechanic. In short, reducing the intake Air temp by removing hot coolant from underneath. The PCM "computer" will not deduct as much timing Resulting in a slight performance gain.
Sorry Re-tuned = changing the PCM parameters such as timing curve MAF mass air flow curve.
This you will not be able to do without. Software, cables to hookup to a laptop. And tuning knowledge.
Or a wide band O2 best Dyno tuning.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 02-04-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:24 PM
BigMac2395
Instructor

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
HVAC you can absolutely relate to this. In essence you are a mechanic. In short, reducing the intake Air temp by removing hot coolant from underneath. The PCM "computer" will not deduct as much timing Resulting in a slight performance gain.
Sorry Re-tuned = changing the PCM parameters such as timing curve MAF mass air flow curve.
This you will not be able to do without. Software, cables to hookup to a laptop. And tuning knowledge.
Or a wide band O2 best Dyno tuning.

Hey, thanks for your input and advice.

Quick Reply: 1996 LT4 Airfoil and Throttle Body Bypass upgrades?