C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Success! Transplanting a '92 LT1 Instrument Cluster in a '91 L98! Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by janarvae
Are you saying you believe when the door is ajar, the brake pressure light will come on? Because between the '92 and '91, there were some lights switched around, but it has no effect on their function. The lights are all wired in correctly - the circuit board just translates the computer signal differently.

Now, if this is the excuse you need to get an orange one, then, right on!
I guess I will have to test them out

Stop trying to see thru my excuses
Old 02-05-2012, 02:06 PM
scrotocles
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice job and great info

I also have a 91 with the same problem and was looking to fix it. It was sent out for a fix probably 10 years ago and it lasted only a year. Anyway, I want to make sure that it's done correctly and not 1/2 way. I'd like all the bulbs replaced and every resisitor that can be etc. Not only does my tach read twice what it is supposed to, but the gas gauge & MPH are very dim at times (almost disappearing) on the LCD. I do have a few questions and hope you don't mind answering them as they are probably trivial.

My first thought was to remove it and ship it to some place that does this. I've seen $309 rebuild at Corvette Central and closer to $200 some place else.

Basically, I've read that you need to drop the steering wheel column to get to the cluster. Now, I've replaced the dash, new seats/foam and a few other things that involved taking apart the console too. But to me, it was a pretty big pain in the rear as I guess I'm not as mechanically inclined as most others. This dropping the steering column seems pretty difficult. Does it have to be done to remove the cluster? I also read that removing the front seat is recommended. Did you do that as well?

I read your reasons for replacing the L98 with the rebuilt LT1 ie, gauge tics and brighter. (It was a refurbished LT1 - right?)

Perhaps a newly refurbished L98 would be just as bright?

Is there any technical reason to do the swap such as is a refurbed L98 cluster prone to more problems then a refurbed LT1?

I'm concerned about the LCD on mine still being dim if I do the L98 to LT1 swap and use my old LCD.

And as this thread is somewhat old, perhaps Ramrod doesn't have any more of those available.

Ok, thanks and again, super job and post!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm going to get a ZR1 or LT4 cluster for mine...I want the 8k RPM tach.

I'm glad it worked fine...I looked at the schematics and figured that the LTx versions SHOULD work in the L98's, just didn't know for sure until I got one to put in.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default LCD Backwards Compatible?

Anybody know if the LT1/92+ LCD will work in a 91 cluster?

I prefer the LCD with the MPH on the top, rather than the gas gauge.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:10 PM
RICEKILA
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Mike:
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gear Jammer
Anybody know if the LT1/92+ LCD will work in a 91 cluster?

I prefer the LCD with the MPH on the top, rather than the gas gauge.
I know this is an old thread but this is exactly what I came here to ask. I have a working L98 cluster in a 91 auto but the LCD screen displays a broken output. Will a newer C4 LCD work in a 1991? I just need the LCD outputs and I don't particularly care about orientation of whats where as long as it works. It's either that or back probe and wire in an arduino and mini lcd screen
Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 PM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

lotta good info in this post, thanks!

i just had to replace the instrument cluster in my 91, the LCD was totally dim. got a replacement off of eBay (another 91), installed, presto-mundo, problem solved.

only thing i think worth mentioning is that, at least on my '91, when re-attaching the steering column, that bracket and those two big bolts, on the right side of the steering column (towards pass side), underneath, be sure you're not pinching the wiring bundle wrapped in BRIGHT YELLOW tape. that wiring bundle on my car was hovering very close to the right side of the bracket and was pinched when i had it all loosely reassembled.

coulda been kinda interesting if i had unwittingly cinched down on that, and reconnected the battery, huh?

confirmed that a 1/4"drive 10mm socket on a flex joint, with at least a 4" extension works good on those two bolts by the trans tunnel. you push on the trans tunnel carpet panel, and you get enough clearance.

Last edited by rpoL98; 12-16-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I want to clarify this old thread that I found very useful. The OP swapped out the LCD modules for “personal preference” and the update to the newer cluster worked out fine. Had he not swapped the LCD modules he would have found the same thing I found today. 90-91 cluster LCD modules are NOT interchangeable with 93-96 cluster LCD modules.

I went to swap a rebuilt 96 LT4 cluster into my 90 ZR-1. Everything worked except the LCD display. Nothing but jibberish. I contacted Bryan Thompson at Batee.com who confirmed that the “electrical protocol “ was changed between the two. So if you want to use a 92-96 cluster in a 90-91 you will have to swap the LCD displays between the two as the OP did here. If the old LCD is toast it will have to be rebuilt before you swap it into the later cluster.

Hope this helps somebody.
H

Last edited by ccmano; 01-23-2019 at 07:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Red 91 (01-23-2019)
Old 06-28-2020, 09:23 PM
RoboVette91L98
Cruising

Default What about the odometer? And other questions...

Originally Posted by ccmano
I want to clarify this old thread that I found very useful. The OP swapped out the LCD modules for “personal preference” and the update to the newer cluster worked out fine. Had he not swapped the LCD modules he would have found the same thing I found today. 90-91 cluster LCD modules are NOT interchangeable with 93-96 cluster LCD modules.

I went to swap a rebuilt 96 LT4 cluster into my 90 ZR-1. Everything worked except the LCD display. Nothing but jibberish. I contacted Bryan Thompson at Batee.com who confirmed that the “electrical protocol “ was changed between the two. So if you want to use a 92-96 cluster in a 90-91 you will have to swap the LCD displays between the two as the OP did here. If the old LCD is toast it will have to be rebuilt before you swap it into the later cluster.

Hope this helps somebody.
H
I plant to swap out my gauge cluster from a 91 L98 with inaccurate tach and oil pressure. But I’m concerned that my odometer will get messed up with a new gauge cluster from a different car. Is that an issue or will my odometer still read my cars actual mileage regardless of the cluster?

also, if anyone has a working cluster for sale that will work in my 91 L98 please contact me ASAP!
thanks!

Quick Reply: Success! Transplanting a '92 LT1 Instrument Cluster in a '91 L98! Pics inside