C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 128 head valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 AM
bomar76
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L98 128 head valve spring replacement

The valve seals are shot in Son's 87 L98 w/ stock 128 AL heads and we are both tired of the mosquito fogging on startup, time for valve seals. We are NOT pulling the heads, this will be the usual in frame job, done it before on other vehicles.
Thought that while we are at it we might as well install some 1.6 narrow body self aligning full roller rockers. We know we have to massage the inside of the stock valve covers, no big deal.
Doesn't make a lot of sense to reinstall 22 year old springs, thought I saw somewhere a suggestion for a reasonably priced set of GM replacements....but can't find it....any suggestions?
If anyone has a suggestion for the best valve seals be glad to have that also..was planning on using FelPro SS72877 (exhaust) and SS72527 (intake)
Cam is staying as is, BTW.
Thanks in advance...
Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally I would change the springs no matter what but if you do the 1.6 RR's definetly. The GMPP 101# springs were under $40 last time I looked. That's a deal.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 AM
"swamp rat"
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bomar76
The valve seals are shot in Son's 87 L98 w/ stock 128 AL heads and we are both tired of the mosquito fogging on startup, time for valve seals. We are NOT pulling the heads, this will be the usual in frame job, done it before on other vehicles.
Thought that while we are at it we might as well install some 1.6 narrow body self aligning full roller rockers. We know we have to massage the inside of the stock valve covers, no big deal.
Doesn't make a lot of sense to reinstall 22 year old springs, thought I saw somewhere a suggestion for a reasonably priced set of GM replacements....but can't find it....any suggestions?
If anyone has a suggestion for the best valve seals be glad to have that also..was planning on using FelPro SS72877 (exhaust) and SS72527 (intake)
Cam is staying as is, BTW.
Thanks in advance...
If you can hang on for a few days I'll send em to ya free ?????
I was from ohio ! now I live in FL. I just bought a gasket set & a new set of al
heads already together with springs & big valves & the seals are fel pro !! PM me
Old 03-11-2009, 11:28 AM
"swamp rat"
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
Personally I would change the springs no matter what but if you do the 1.6 RR's definetly. The GMPP 101# springs were under $40 last time I looked. That's a deal.
I have a 88 & it still will go 6100 with no float ! I have a tach with memory just in case I forget !! aaaaaalmost forgot yeah it's a L98!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:02 PM
bomar76
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent!

Get notified of new replies

To L98 128 head valve spring replacement

Quick Reply: L98 128 head valve spring replacement