C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 guys, radiator shroud / air induction question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 01:47 PM

Default L98 guys, radiator shroud / air induction question

As you can see in my sig I have converted an 84 to TPI, I got the BPP Vortex and changed my front shroud to install. My question is that my upper radiator support has a fairly high ridge for the engine-side fan housing part, does your fan cover ridge rise above the top of your radiator support where the air induction tube passes over it? The parts illustration shows that an 84 through 87 has the same upper and lower radiator support but my upper support has a fan mounting portion thats higher than the top of the radiator portion of the support making the Vortex Rammer not lay flat on top of the radiator support. I'm trying to decide If I need to cut my upper support to get it to lay flat there. My hood is definately got to be cut out for this (like the 85 and up model hoods), but it looks like the rammer is still going to be too thick. Any advice, experiences?

Hope my question is clear enough without pics. Thanks
Old 01-29-2002, 03:11 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: L98 guys, radiator shroud / air induction question (Mark84_L383)

if i catch your drift, my radiator shroud is flat i think so that the filter housing sits right on top of it, no hump

[Modified by vader86, 7:12 PM 1/29/2002]
Old 01-29-2002, 03:17 PM

Default Re: L98 guys, radiator shroud / air induction question (vader86)

Then maybe I need to order the upper support for an 85/85 or so. Geez, I thought the parts illustration manual would identify the difference, guess not. Thanks buddy.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:31 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't know if these help...

Old 01-29-2002, 03:49 PM

Default Re: (scorp508)

Thanks Scorp, you are always super helpful. I would post pics but stinkin' photopoint went OOB with all my pics and I can't seem to get a page on the forum for some reason.

I'll bet that the stock air induction is molded to clear the ridge and the support is the same. The Vortex is pretty much flat if not slightly rounded on the bottom so it interferes with ridge.

I have a speed density setup and couldn't find a tube to replace the MAF spacing + the duct is so small in diameter. So I was going to insert the 85~89 Rammer into a 90 stock duct (does fit 58mm and is very flexible) and clamp it to the rammer. The 85 stock rear air duct will not go on my Holley 58mm TB either. Guess I'll have to modify my support to get clearance.

Thanks guys. I'll find a way to post pics soon.

Mark
Old 01-29-2002, 04:01 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm almost positive that the main fan shroud is level with the top of the radiator one.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:11 PM

Default Re: (scorp508)

I have my hood off right now, if I look up over the top of the support in front of the car I can still see the ridge. About 1/2" at its peak I guess. I suppose I could buy the 85/86 support and see for sure but if it is different I would be changing more than the upper. The fan is different for the 85 and up I believe. Thanks buddy! :flag
Old 01-30-2002, 05:18 AM

Default Re: (Mark84_L383)

Finished wacking off the top to the fan shroud it's level now. The SR is about 1" lower in height to the stock TPI setup. Surely someone has noticed the BPP Vortex is thicker than the stock airbox, I wonder if it's been a problem to them with the hood down?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-30-2002, 10:38 AM
DarkRose94
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Mark84_L383)

I've got a question for you guys...... I'm doin that engine swap from a 89 Vette engine into a 86 chevy pick up. Well the question is that I wasn't going to run any electric fans, I was going to run just the regular flutch fan and fan shroud also have a K&N cone type filter..... will this destort the air or proper air intake flow? Do I need to get a flat type of fliter that kindna looks like a sandwich? if it helps, no mass air flow. thanks DarkRose94

Get notified of new replies

To L98 guys, radiator shroud / air induction question

Quick Reply: L98 guys, radiator shroud / air induction question