C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

FAST EFI XFI Engine Management System GM Chevy L98 TPI

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default FAST EFI XFI Engine Management System GM Chevy L98 TPI

i Came thru this ....is it $ 1999
is it worth ?
im not planning to buy it but i wonder if there's a member running this system ?

FAST XFI EFI System

Includes : ECU - Wide Band O2 Sensor - Main Harness - Injector Harness - Ignition Adapter Harness - Com Cable & Software.

This system can run in sequential or bank to bank mode.

Fits GM Chevy TPI L98, it is also a universal system for Cadillac, Buick, Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile w/HEI.

NEW XFI™ ELECTRONIC FUEL

INJECTION SYSTEM

Tuning an aftermarket EFI unit has traditionally been an intimidating proposition. Now, thanks to FAST™’s new XFI™ Electronic Fuel Injection System, you can enjoy the benefits of the industry’s most advanced EFI technology in a compact, easy-to-use package. The product of over three years of intensive research and development, the XFI™ represents revolutionary advances in several key areas:

HARDWARE IMPROVEMENTS

To make a better system you first have to start with the hardware. The XFI™ uses the latest in flash microprocessor technology to deliver a significant increase in processing speed. This means the XFI™ can process, analyze and adjust four times faster than previous EFI systems. Additionally, a surface-mounted circuit board and billet ECU enclosure give the XFI™ superior durability. And to simplify installation, each unit comes with an engine-specific XFI™ wiring harness featuring clearly labeled connections.

SOFTWARE ADVANCES

FAST™’s original C-COM™ software was widely hailed as a breakthrough in the area of user friendliness. The XFI™’s Windowsbased software is built upon its predecessor’s easily navigable user interface, but incorporates several previously unavailable features. One such feature is the Tuning Wizard™, a built-in program designed to assist you, through the tuning process. And the XFI™’s “field flashable” capability means you can download the latest software updates via e-mail, or directly from the FAST™ website. Stay current without ever removing the XFI™ from your vehicle.

SPECIAL FEATURES

Designed for in-car tuning without a laptop, the XFI™ features Qwik Tune™ technology that allows you to choose from among four levels of tuning at the flip of a dash-mounted switch. Optimize one setting for everyday driving, others for racing conditions, and still another for improved fuel economy. Other new features include on-board diagnostics; EZ Test™ indicator lights; four- and five-bar MAP sensing; and controls for your power adder, torque converter, and air-conditioning compressor. The XFI™ also offers enhanced data logging capabilities and memory for analyzing fuel pressure, oil pressure, and exhaust gas readings.

Whether you’re a novice tuner or a seasoned pro, the FAST™ XFI™’s unrivaled power, ease of use, and industry-leading technical

support make it an unbeatable choice for your next high-performance engine project.

ALL SYSTEMS COME STANDARD WITH:

• Built-in Wideband O2

• Fully sequential and/or bank to bank

• Individual cylinder correction

• Fan and fuel pump control

• Dynamic scaling of both MAP and RPM for each 3D table

• Scaleable TPS and MAP calibrations

• 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 bar MAP now available

• Spare user defineable inputs/outputs or miscellaneous functions such as:

• Shift light output

• Auxiliary fan control

• Exhaust gas temperatures

• Torque converter lockup

• Air conditioning idle bump-up

• Air conditioning wide open throttle cutout

• Boost control

• Enhanced 4 stage power adder controls

• Multiple calibrations stored in ECU w/switching capability

• L key function for easy steady-state table correction using wideband O2

• On-board diagnostics

• Fuel and Oil pressure logging

• Adjustable injector timing

• Adjustable O2 signal filter

• Multiple ignition strategies such as:

• HEI

• DIS

• TFI

• FORD EDIS

• IPU(INDUCTIVE OR DISCREET/HALL EFFECT)
Old 03-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Bruce Witherspoon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fast xfi

I am a user and a dealer. Not sure what you are asking but for the average user, the FAST system is the most straight forward to use. I have worked with the Accel and Big Stuff and I have multiple references that I can give you if you ever need to verify how much more simple it is should before you consider purchasing a system. All of these people use them for class legal drag racing.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. Not trying to sell you anything, just provide support to people looking for support/information.

Good Luck!

Bruce Witherspoon

http://www.autoimagery.com/store/cgi...ch=witherspoon
The following users liked this post:
carlos64030 (09-15-2019)
Old 03-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Bruce , thanks for chime in !
i don't think that im gonna purchase this at the moment,but you never know sometime maybe in the future,well,this is gonna be a useful thread , what's the advantage over a stock tpi for example ? or what adjustments can be made to the efi system ?
Im all new about this ,sorry if those are basic questions.-
Thanks !
Old 03-28-2009, 10:03 AM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Calderone
i don't think that im gonna purchase this at the moment,but you never know sometime maybe in the future,well,this is gonna be a useful thread , what's the advantage over a stock tpi for example ? or what adjustments can be made to the efi system ?
Thanks !
What mods do you have? While the system is nice (I am running the classic FAST on my car), you don't need it for mild mods.

Ron
Old 03-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Hi Ron,Nice wheels !
Not many mods at the moment,but i want to know more
Any link or pdf or something ?
Thanks !
Old 03-28-2009, 10:26 AM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Hi Ron,Nice wheels !
Not many mods at the moment,but i want to know more
Any link or pdf or something ?
Thanks !
Thanks about the wheels.

Until you get to the point where you're doing a major forced induction project (like turbos), or you have a more than mild stroker motor, this system will not do much for you that you cannot accomplish by tuning the standard GM computer with chips. Once you have more major mods, or configurations of mods that are hard to tune for on the GM ECU side, these systems are wonderful and allow you to get nearly stock driveability in a lot of cases. I am getting over 28MPG on the highway with my 396 stroker with a FAST on it with 410 at the rear wheels on an automatic and on a mustang dyno. I can run the AC and all accessories just like normal. This is something that while you MAY have been able to do on the GM ECU, doing it on the FAST was trivial and you have realtime adjustment potential if you need to tweak stuff.

Ron
Old 03-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Bruce Witherspoon
Pro

Originally Posted by RonRed89
Thanks about the wheels.

Until you get to the point where you're doing a major forced induction project (like turbos), or you have a more than mild stroker motor, this system will not do much for you that you cannot accomplish by tuning the standard GM computer with chips. Once you have more major mods, or configurations of mods that are hard to tune for on the GM ECU side, these systems are wonderful and allow you to get nearly stock driveability in a lot of cases. I am getting over 28MPG on the highway with my 396 stroker with a FAST on it with 410 at the rear wheels on an automatic and on a mustang dyno. I can run the AC and all accessories just like normal. This is something that while you MAY have been able to do on the GM ECU, doing it on the FAST was trivial and you have realtime adjustment potential if you need to tweak stuff.

Ron
Ron,

I disagree with you about the ability to do as much with GM computers and chip changes.
1st you have the expense of numerous guesses with chips. Most of the chips that I have seen are no more than alterations to the fuel and spark curves. They are a one time shot, and then on to the next chip. I would agree with you on any of the flash program controllers. I know there are many suppliers of handheld and PC based programmers. The fact that you can do real time data logging with most of the aftermarket controllers is something that you have no ability to do burning chips.
The following users liked this post:
Graham Hanson (04-02-2016)
Old 03-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Bruce Witherspoon
Pro

Thanks !
Go to the FAST site,
http://www.fuelairspark.com/

and download the software to your PC. It will allow you to work in the software but not save any of your changes. There is also all of the information on how to work with the software in the help section. The XFI unit are the only controllers still available because the Classics are now considered obsolete. The Classics are fine if you come accross one, but they are no longer being supported by COMP/FAST. They should do everything that the average person needs as Ron said in his response. Look through the software if you like, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:15 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What mods do you have? While the system is nice (I am running the classic FAST on my car), you don't need it for mild mods.

Ron
While Bruce may disagree with you, I fully agree with your statement. For mild mods, any of the aftermarket ECMs are not really necessary (you can do it with replacement PROM or re-flash).

I have done many changes to aftermarket ECMs in vettes that have major mods, and I have experience with FAST, Accel, and BS3 (and some of the others on imports).

I run the FAST classic on one of my cars and the XFI on my other car, but would choose BS3 (at the moment) if I was doing a big build on one of my own cars. I do agree with Bruce that the FAST is extremely easy to tune and allows adjustability on the fly, just not necessary for the average bolt on mods as seen on these boards.
Aaron
Old 03-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Bruce Witherspoon
Pro

Originally Posted by AKS Racing
While Bruce may disagree with you, I fully agree with your statement. For mild mods, any of the aftermarket ECMs are not really necessary (you can do it with replacement PROM or re-flash).

I have done many changes to aftermarket ECMs in vettes that have major mods, and I have experience with FAST, Accel, and BS3 (and some of the others on imports).

I run the FAST classic on one of my cars and the XFI on my other car, but would choose BS3 (at the moment) if I was doing a big build on one of my own cars. I do agree with Bruce that the FAST is extremely easy to tune and allows adjustability on the fly, just not necessary for the average bolt on mods as seen on these boards.
Aaron
Aaron,

I don't disagree with anything that you are saying. Over the years I have witnessed people with the mild bolt ons experience minimal benefits with purchased E-proms that they either repurchased or went back to their OEM prom. I agree that the expense of a aftermarket controller is not necessary but with the passage of time many of these controllers have become far more affordable. I have seen classic controllers and harnesses for as cheap as $600.00. In fact I sold 2 of them last year from customers cars that had updated to XFI.

Bruce
Old 03-29-2009, 12:35 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bruce Witherspoon
Aaron,

I don't disagree with anything that you are saying. Over the years I have witnessed people with the mild bolt ons experience minimal benefits with purchased E-proms that they either repurchased or went back to their OEM prom. I agree that the expense of a aftermarket controller is not necessary but with the passage of time many of these controllers have become far more affordable. I have seen classic controllers and harnesses for as cheap as $600.00. In fact I sold 2 of them last year from customers cars that had updated to XFI.
To be fair, there is a big difference between $600 and $2K+ for the newer XFI or any competing system. I agree with you on the benefits of real-time data logging, but the fact is that there are still tons of people successfully running PROM tunes. The fact that FAST has real-time data logging simply proves that for the most part, getting the best tune involves logging which is probably why some of the customers that you mentioned went back to a stock PROM (because they didn't provide the mail-order tuner with enough information). The Craig Moates AutoProm coupled with an Innovative wide-band controller will give you some ability to gather enough data to come up with a pretty good tune. Agreed that it will not log anything as good as the sensor dash in FAST, but it is something.

Couple that with the fact that some of the more common features of the GM ECU weren't in the FAST until the XFI (TCC lockup, varying the RPM before AC compressor activation to name a couple), you still had to piggyback the FAST to the older GM to maintain that functionality.

At any rate, I still think that the casual modder won't need some of the complications introduced by the aftermarket ECU until more major mods are undertaken.

Take care,

Ron
Old 03-29-2009, 01:39 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

For a stock or mildly modified car upgrading is similar to the owner of a pickup truck switching to magnesium wheels to try and go faster.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:53 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Ron
The FAST Classic is what I purchased as well for the 421. I am looking forward to seeing how it operates.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Bruce Witherspoon
Pro

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
The FAST Classic is what I purchased as well for the 421. I am looking forward to seeing how it operates.
Be careful with the ECU. FAST no longer services them. However if you do have a problem, one of their former employees lives here in town and he does repair and upgrade them.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:10 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Be careful with the ECU. FAST no longer services them. However if you do have a problem, one of their former employees lives here in town and he does repair and upgrade them.
Is this Dan White that you speak of......FYI, they do still service them.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:26 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

The thing I find interesting about this discussion is that most of us will either be replacing our vett (C4 for something much more expensive) or replacing our ECM sometime in the future. (I already have a rebuilt GM one in my 93). These ECM's, at least for the 92 - 93 are almost impossible to find, when you do they can run upward of $300 and a tune can run upwards of $300. for a ?? used one. If mine goes out again I would consider replacing it with something like this Fast module. 2 grand is a lot more than 600. but if in time the price comes down on the fast and the price goes up on ?? used ECM's it will just become more feasible to use the Fast or something like it. What I want to know is does it "learn" like some of the newer systems do? How much can it learn? (say adding a bigger cam, will it learn for that or do I have to tell it what change was made?)
Can even a ECM "dummy" like me really change this Fast ECM to work better with present and future mods? How would I really know how to adjust fuel/air ratios, timing etc?
Thanks, I for one would like to learn as much as I can about these new ECM's and how they really work.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:48 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i Came thru this ....is it $ 1999
is it worth ?
im not planning to buy it but i wonder if there's a member running this system ?

FAST XFI EFI System

Includes : ECU - Wide Band O2 Sensor - Main Harness - Injector Harness - Ignition Adapter Harness - Com Cable & Software.

This system can run in sequential or bank to bank mode.

Fits GM Chevy TPI L98, it is also a universal system for Cadillac, Buick, Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile w/HEI.

NEW XFI™ ELECTRONIC FUEL

INJECTION SYSTEM

Tuning an aftermarket EFI unit has traditionally been an intimidating proposition. Now, thanks to FAST™’s new XFI™ Electronic Fuel Injection System, you can enjoy the benefits of the industry’s most advanced EFI technology in a compact, easy-to-use package. The product of over three years of intensive research and development, the XFI™ represents revolutionary advances in several key areas:

HARDWARE IMPROVEMENTS

To make a better system you first have to start with the hardware. The XFI™ uses the latest in flash microprocessor technology to deliver a significant increase in processing speed. This means the XFI™ can process, analyze and adjust four times faster than previous EFI systems. Additionally, a surface-mounted circuit board and billet ECU enclosure give the XFI™ superior durability. And to simplify installation, each unit comes with an engine-specific XFI™ wiring harness featuring clearly labeled connections.

SOFTWARE ADVANCES

FAST™’s original C-COM™ software was widely hailed as a breakthrough in the area of user friendliness. The XFI™’s Windowsbased software is built upon its predecessor’s easily navigable user interface, but incorporates several previously unavailable features. One such feature is the Tuning Wizard™, a built-in program designed to assist you, through the tuning process. And the XFI™’s “field flashable” capability means you can download the latest software updates via e-mail, or directly from the FAST™ website. Stay current without ever removing the XFI™ from your vehicle.

SPECIAL FEATURES

Designed for in-car tuning without a laptop, the XFI™ features Qwik Tune™ technology that allows you to choose from among four levels of tuning at the flip of a dash-mounted switch. Optimize one setting for everyday driving, others for racing conditions, and still another for improved fuel economy. Other new features include on-board diagnostics; EZ Test™ indicator lights; four- and five-bar MAP sensing; and controls for your power adder, torque converter, and air-conditioning compressor. The XFI™ also offers enhanced data logging capabilities and memory for analyzing fuel pressure, oil pressure, and exhaust gas readings.

Whether you’re a novice tuner or a seasoned pro, the FAST™ XFI™’s unrivaled power, ease of use, and industry-leading technical

support make it an unbeatable choice for your next high-performance engine project.

ALL SYSTEMS COME STANDARD WITH:

• Built-in Wideband O2

• Fully sequential and/or bank to bank

• Individual cylinder correction

• Fan and fuel pump control

• Dynamic scaling of both MAP and RPM for each 3D table

• Scaleable TPS and MAP calibrations

• 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 bar MAP now available

• Spare user defineable inputs/outputs or miscellaneous functions such as:

• Shift light output

• Auxiliary fan control

• Exhaust gas temperatures

• Torque converter lockup

• Air conditioning idle bump-up

• Air conditioning wide open throttle cutout

• Boost control

• Enhanced 4 stage power adder controls

• Multiple calibrations stored in ECU w/switching capability

• L key function for easy steady-state table correction using wideband O2

• On-board diagnostics

• Fuel and Oil pressure logging

• Adjustable injector timing

• Adjustable O2 signal filter

• Multiple ignition strategies such as:

• HEI

• DIS

• TFI

• FORD EDIS

• IPU(INDUCTIVE OR DISCREET/HALL EFFECT)
The FAST XFI System is nice Sammy.
I have know guys to use it on their 9 second Buick Grand Nationals and 5.0 Mustangs dipping in the low 8's.
My buddie Crazzie Eddie is running 8.20's with the stock Ford ECU yet.
Its Vortech blown with 28lbs of boost.

He tells me the FAST XFI or other aftermarket systems are a waste of money for him.
For him I agree.

I am amazed at the resourcefulness of many C4 owners and home tuners here on C4.
Using stock ECM's yet and flying with them.

If you have the $$ buy the FAST XFI.

From what I can see, its just a luxury till you break out of the 9's 1/4 mile.

I hear FAST XFI is very user friendly, a big plus going for it.

Brian

Get notified of new replies

To FAST EFI XFI Engine Management System GM Chevy L98 TPI

Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont need a fast
Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 PM
pipe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also think my 383 is going to be hard to tune it's just about an all out race motor solid roller, mini ram, brodix and such. I also thought of going to the FAST system. They say they have great tech help and support. Plus Bruce can also answer any questions also. When you race you need every advantage you can. A FAST data logger will help when you need to tell a tech guy whats going on with your car. I would also be new to this as i'm not very computer smart. I've seen some of the cars in the NMCA use it and talked to em they all seem to like it. Pipe
Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

WHAT?

I happen to have the older one, I guess classic. I gather it is for an LT1, which years ago I was going to send in and have set for an L-98 car. I never got around to it and I am just sitting on this thing.... so what now? Buy and Lt1 car? But seriously... I guess I could.

Quick Reply: FAST EFI XFI Engine Management System GM Chevy L98 TPI