C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Monroe Sensa-trac Shocks and Nexen Tyres Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Monroe Sensa-trac Shocks and Nexen Tyres Report

Late last year, after a lot of questions and helpful advice from the forum, I fitted Monroe Sensa-trac shocks to the rear of my 88 Corvette.

I'm glad to say that I'm really happy with them and will soon fit the same to the front. They are a soft shock absorber with plent of give, which is what I wanted.

About 100 miles ago I fitted 4 Nexen 3000 tyres. It's early days to report much, but I can say they are a 'soft' tyre, which has improved the ride a little.

I can feel that the sidewalls are soft and it's noticeable when making sharp turns, there is more give and the steering isn't quite as exact, which is a negative, but the softer ride for my poor old back is most important.

I shall be very interested to see how they wear, I'm expecting them not to last long, being so soft.

If anyone wants to see a short video I made, looking at the new tyre, it's near the top of my 2009 Maintenance blog - http://robhealey.com.au/Corvette/rep...and-servicing/
Old 04-11-2009, 05:52 AM
TWISTERUP
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently installed polished ZR1s w/nexen 3000 tires (bought as a package deal) and I love the aggressive look of the tire. The ride is much better then the goodyear GSCs that were on the Vette...that's to be expected any run flat equipped vehicle I've driven rides VERY hard due to the very stiff sidewall. Had some balance issues at first..but I rebalanced and found them to be very sensitive to air pressure...they're fine now. I knew when I bought the combo that the Nexen tires were a inexpensive tire....hmmm..handling ok--normal driving wet traction ok. What I don't like is the dry traction --under hard accel such as 20-25 mph--when the tranny "kicks down" they break loose big time ASR light flashing all the way..if you're not cautious you'll do a 180 to 360 in the road. They really wake you up and do wonders for the "pucker factor"...now these are 275s versus the 285s but I feel like I went from 285s to 185s However the Nexens are good for giving the wife a "rush" when she's along for a ride I'm older now and don't drive nearly as hard as I did 30 years ago ang w/these tires ..that's a good thing JMO
Old 04-11-2009, 09:44 AM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I've been running NEXENs for about 12,000 miles. I have no complaints. I expected them to wear quickly but they have only used 25% of the tread. I'd buy them again.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@cumbercr - wow 12000miles and only 25% worn - thats heaps better than I expected with such soft tyre - good news.

@TWISTERUP - thanks for the warning about breakin loose - I don't drive hard so I should have no problem, but I wouldn't have expected them to break away under acceleration. I've yet to test them in the wet but they can't be worse than the Falkens I had on the front which seemed to break away on every corner. When it was wet I had to drive like granny!!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:55 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Sorry, the sensa-tracks are junk. I just removed a set off my 92 with just over 10,000 miles. They were so shot it took no effort at all to compress them.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Arent Nexen tires the ones from China?

Get notified of new replies

To Monroe Sensa-trac Shocks and Nexen Tyres Report

Quick Reply: Monroe Sensa-trac Shocks and Nexen Tyres Report