C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Who here has replaced their front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 10:37 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who here has replaced their front bumper?

Guys - I need to get rid of the wavys. I'm planning on getting a new urethane front bumper from either MAD or Ecklers. Has anyone done this themselves and if so, what advice can you give for the install? Thanks! :)
Old 02-01-2002, 11:54 PM
TurboVette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who here has replaced their front bumper? (cprgmr)

I did mine when I changed to the newer style. It takes two people and lots of shims. Just keep adjusting it, close the hood and re-adjust. Took me about 3 or 4 times, :smash: but then again, I'm a slow learner. Be real careful not to chip your paint with a bad fit. No pearls of wisdom here, just have patience. The rear was easier.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:29 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

First advice, try to get your bumper from 18carfan aka jeff Kopp and ask for a price quote from him and then compare to others.Ive noticed that the big Corvette catalogs are a bit pricey for their stuff.
Ive seen a 200 dollar difference just for the same bumpers alone.

I know you already mentioned getting Urethane,which is good.For further advice,fiberglass bumpers require you to remove the crash pad inside the bumper to fit and will not always align with the car,shims or not.Fiberglass wou need to be added,shaped and contoured to align with the hood.Its a chance buy..youre going to get a good fit or not.

Also, Jon M on this forum, hope he sees this,on his webpage he showed a fix he did to stop the wavy top part of the bumper.He glued 2 pieces of aluminum sheet panels to the underside of the bumper to make it flatter and stay that way.Made it more rigid.

Also on removal,make note of where everything goes and if any shims, they go back exactly in the right place etc.
The front bumper isnt that hard to remove but has alot of screws and etc all over the place.

Hope this helps some.
:)

Old 02-02-2002, 01:16 AM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

I replaced the front bumper on my '93.. The major pain in the butt issues that I remember were the screws that are completely hidden between the hood and the bumper. Gotta do those while the hood is up (obviously). I'd recommend using some masking tape and rags or something to eliminate scratching the hood! It's tight! Or, you could just take off the hood, but I think that's overkill. Next thing, as mentioned before, is ALIGNMENT. That took almost as long as the basic installation!! The trick is, don't tighten anything down to the surface till you're sure it'll be dead on.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:45 AM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys - looks like it'll be a long and detailed process. I'll also look up Jeff to see if he can get me a better price than $450.00! :eek: Do you have any guestimates on an average price from a body shop to prime/paint the bumper? Thanks again! :)
Old 02-02-2002, 12:13 PM
Nitro Junkie
Burning Brakes

Check out Vanacor's
http://www.vanacorvette.com/index.html
Old 02-02-2002, 12:33 PM
jparr
Drifting

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

I had my bumper replaced, it was all busted up and wavy. I ordered from mad adn it took forever to get my car was done by a shop but i watched them alittle adn it was a pain. Also my bumper took 3 months to get i called mad and they said that there bumper is only made like 3 times a year by a outside company and if u have not ordered by that time u are going to wait then
i hope this helps you and others jay
Old 02-02-2002, 12:44 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Who here has replaced their front bumper? (Nitro Junkie)

Good Luck... I replaced my '90 bumper with a '96 take off. It's smooth and all. There are still a few waves...but not like I've seen on some cars(Downright scary). This must have been a low mileage unit. I'll agree to be gentle and it might take a time or two to get things lined up right. I think mine uses the factory shims from the '90 plus one.

Old 02-03-2002, 11:55 PM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Who here has replaced their front bumper? (JD 90 383)

Is that the one Ed sold you? If so, I remember it was very low mileage.

Good Luck... I replaced my '90 bumper with a '96 take off. It's smooth and all. There are still a few waves...but not like I've seen on some cars(Downright scary). This must have been a low mileage unit. I'll agree to be gentle and it might take a time or two to get things lined up right. I think mine uses the factory shims from the '90 plus one.

Get notified of new replies

To Who here has replaced their front bumper?

Quick Reply: Who here has replaced their front bumper?