C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Results of my car running rich.....

Old 02-02-2002, 07:38 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Results of my car running rich.....

As I posted earlier, a bad O2 sensor on the left side caused my car to run very very rich. So rich that it fouled my old set of NGK plugs, and caused a new set of plugs to foul to the point where the car wouldn't start within a week of normal driving.

I am wondering what else might be bad. This run rich condition lasted maybe 500 miles. I know that running rich can cause wash off the oil that protects the rings, but I don't think 500 miles was enough to damage them.

But I do wonder if I have clogged cats now? The exhaust pipes are so sooty on the insides.

I will say this though....The car seemed faster at WOT when it was running rich than it does now. It started off better in 2nd gear. Now, when I start in 2nd gear it feels like I have lost power down low....Is there something the extra fuel did I wonder?

I really wonder what the inside of my heads and valves look like.....I just paid all kinds of money to have them ported....They are probably sooted so bad that it negated any performance gain.

Any idea how I would best clean the soot of the heads?....I put some Justice Brothers (JB) Fuel System Cleaner in per the advice of the guy that ported the heads.

Any body else ever had a run rich situation cause them to clog cats, encrust heads, etc.?

How did /would you try to correct this situation? It runs fine BTW. But seems like I lost a little power after the O2 sensors were replaced...

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 02-03-2002, 02:33 AM
merrick
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Results of my car running rich..... (dizwiz24)

I recommend driving at 4000+ RPM for a while and burn all the carbon out.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:38 AM
Gregory VanLare
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Results of my car running rich..... (dizwiz24)

I'm wondering the same thing? I just pulled mine apart and thought it was running way rich, the fuel pressure was down to 30 psi and still idling horribly. Well, what I found out when I got it apart was that the seller had put 30# Accel injectors in it!@! The engine is not modified at all so it was running way too rich! I've had a terrible buildup of carbon around the tailpipes so I can't imagine what the valves look like. Is there anything I can run through it to clean it up? I'm not a great mechanic so beyond doing the injectors and porting the plenum the task would be out my league. What can I do? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:25 PM
PurpleC4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Currently Corvette-less

Default Re: Results of my car running rich..... (Gregory VanLare)

Greg,
If you can R&R the injectors on an L-98 ~ You are a mechanic, you just don't know it yet! Congratulations on the find.
:seeya Purp
Old 02-03-2002, 10:59 PM
Gregory VanLare
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Results of my car running rich..... (PurpleC4)

Thanks, now if only the snow would be gone so I could get it on the road again!!

Get notified of new replies

To Results of my car running rich.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Results of my car running rich.....