C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

[Optima Batteries]: Who's got them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 12:55 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default [Optima Batteries]: Who's got them?

I just got a 75/35 Dual Terminal Red Top™ yesterday for $107. I couldn't rationalize spending another $70 to get a Yellow Top™.

Anyways, I replaced my aging Die Hard who's CCA rating had fallen from 650 CCA to 450 CCA. This was shown via Snap-On charging/battery system tester.

It was only 16 degrees last night, and the car "seemed" to turn over much easier. That could just be me thinking it did after dropping cash on it. :) I had to "modifiy" the battery tray by snapping off two very small tabs on the outter edge of the tray with some vicegrips. Super easy to do and made the battery fit like a champ under the hold-down.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:21 PM
Rob90
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: [Optima Batteries]: Who's got them? (scorp508)

I had one in my Range Rover. It lasted about 3yrs. Kind of disappointing considering I paid quite a bit more than you. I hope you have better luck with yours :D
Old 02-03-2002, 01:49 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got one, hasn't let me down yet. My Die Hard was more like a Die Fast. Piece of junk, it worked that morning, it worked at lunch, when it was time to come home a mere 3 hours after lunch it was DEAD. It wouldn't take a charge, nothing. I like a battery that gives me just a little warning before it leaves me stranded. I'll never have another Die Hard, if my Optima does the same I'll never have another one of them either. I don't think that will happen, but you never know.

There is a company here in town that sells Deka batteries, there was a time when he had one on every vehicle we own, they seem to be very good batteries. Also we put a Wal-Mart EverStart on our van, it did a very good job. Even the Delcos that came on everything we had never left us stranded without giving some advance warning. It got my mom once because she didn't realize how slow it cranked over when she left that morning.

My dad has a 95 F-150 that still has the ORIGINAL Motorcraft battery on it! I'm expecting it to die any day now.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:03 PM
HWoods
Drifting

Default Re: [Optima Batteries]: Who's got them? (Nathan Plemons)

I had several and they did not last any longer than a regular wet cell battery. If you don't need to mount it on its side or upside down, not worth the money in my opinion. Sears Diehard does not pack the original CCA rating of the AC Delco Battery when the Sears battery is new. Know whose battery packs more than the needed CCA for a C4 Vette? [B]Walmart.[\B]Stranger than fiction! The Optima will let you down, just like any other battery.

[Modified by HWoods, 7:04 PM 2/3/2002]
Old 02-04-2002, 03:01 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [Optima Batteries]: Who's got them? (HWoods)

I've got a red top in my 96. Great batteries! They told me the yellow tops woudn't fit in my car. I'm sold on these since my car isn't a daily driver.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:30 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Optima lost my business while tuning my buddies truck...if we didn't have a charger on it, it'd be dead after ten minutes of just a lap-top and the computer running off of it. I've never heard anything good enough about these batteries to warrant the extreme price.

I once left the stereo on overnight with my diehard in my Blazer(long stupid story), and it started right up on a cold morning.

DieHard for me. :)
Old 02-04-2002, 10:34 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I put a Red Top in my 90 back in November when I relocated the battery to the rear storage compartment. Fit perfect. Great so far :D
Old 02-04-2002, 11:24 AM
maduraj
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the red top on mine. Seems to work pretty good. Had in on the car for almost a year now.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:40 AM
Thud
Team Owner

Default Re: [Optima Batteries]: Who's got them? (maduraj)

Die Hard Gold has more than enough CCA for a C4. Not sure about the Silver. At least if the Gold fails in under 3 years you get a free replacement.

My ACDelco "5-year" battery got weak and started leaking after 1 year. Similar story with the Delco's I had in my previous vette, lasted about 2 years max.

The cheapo Walmart Everstart battery in my truck is holding up nicely after 2 years though. Optima? Seems like it would be cheaper to buy two "regular" batteries instead of one Optima, even if the Optima actually did last twice as long as other batteries, which it apparently doesn't.
Anybody who pays $170 for just a battery also probably pays $400 for a radar detector. :)
Old 02-04-2002, 11:42 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: [Optima Batteries]: Who's got them? (Thud)

Anybody who pays $170 for just a battery also probably pays $400 for a radar detector. :)
Perhaps, but the optima red top doesn't cost $170. Perhaps it should read, anybody who pays $170 for a $100 battery........

[Modified by Nathan Plemons, 9:42 AM 2/4/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To [Optima Batteries]: Who's got them?

Quick Reply: [Optima Batteries]: Who's got them?