C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 01:01 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (92TripleBlack)

You should be able to kill most squeeks and rattles. I have almost none through good maintence even though it has 70,000 miles with alot of northeast potholes on it. New tires will also help the ride quality. Since you are looking at tires, you may want to upgrade to 17 inch rims now. They look great and make a big difference in handling.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:50 AM
R Cook 92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (92TripleBlack)

My 92 tranny has always had a small hesitstion in OD. If you pull it down to 'D', mine goes away, but the whole torque converter idea sounds right to me. As far as your radiator drain, the plug screws in, but last time I had my radaitor out, the back end of the plug, witch is what it scews into, fell down (I had it laying flat) so you might look at that idea... my car is a 92, so the plug might be different, but that is what comes to mind when I read the post. Go firestone in my preference, and good luck with the squeeks!!! :lol:
Old 02-04-2002, 03:31 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (VetteNoob)

1. When driving at cruising speeds, if I let off the gas and slowly reapply the gas, it will run up 500-700 rpm before the tranny catches. It does not feel like slippage. Could this mean that the tranny is needing some servicing or is it normal? (Most important HELP request)

This could the torque converter locking and unlocking. The trans will usually unlock when you let off the gas and then lock after some steady cruising.

2. Acceleration feels a little sluggish.

Rearend ratio, plugged cat, plugs....

4. Tires. Any recommendations? 16" factory wheels.

Try Kumho, I don't know if they make 16s but good tires at very good prices.

6. The driver seat feels loose in it's bracket. The seat is bolted tight to the chasis, but it rocks a small bit. Anyway to fix this?

This is an annoying fact of life with these seats until someone finds a fix. My 94 has it too. You can reduce it by setting the rake of the seat so there is less leverage on the seat tracks.

Old 02-04-2002, 03:34 AM
skidmark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (R Cook 92)

The drain plug is a 3 piece unit; a stem, a seal and the body. Make sure the seal (looks like a plastic washer) is flush with the end of the stem and not past the lip of the threads. If it is it won't reach the body and tighten. When I first removed mine the seal moved and it took me a while to figure it out since I never saw this type of drain coc$ before. Just push it back flush.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:27 AM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (skidmark)

Can anyone send dis-assembly directions for the drain plug? All mine looks like is a single plastic wing nut that doesnt go in or out. No housing assembly like most drain plugs. Id hate to have to spend $150-$200 if I can fix it cheaper.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:01 AM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (VetteNoob)

The radiator doesn't have a drain plug. It uses some kind of drain valve. No way to actually replace the valve. ASC radiator or something like that. So I am just going to replace the radiator.
Yes it has a drain plug. You can buy a replacement plug at any local autoparts store. Try to pull it out and replace the plug. You don't have to take the radiator out to do this.
A friend changed my drain plug when it sprung a leak so I can't tell you how to pull it out.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:44 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (VQT88Vette)

Copied from my other post:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=232293

Does anyone have access to a digi cam and the GM shop manual describing the drain plug removal procedure? This is what the drain plug looks like and I have no clue how to take it off or if it is even possible. Id rather not have to buy a new radiator if I can fix this new one. Everyone has said that drain valve comes off and can be replaced, mine just free spins in both directions with no end in sight.

Or even directions on how to remove this drain valve/plug. Thanks.

[Modified by VetteNoob, 12:45 PM 2/4/2002]
Old 02-04-2002, 04:13 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

I bought Kumhos at http://www.tirerack.com, they were $92 each and I like them a lot. They were around $400 shipped.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:22 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (Fastguy)

I was checking out some Yokohomas (AVIDS). Anyone used these? I've had the Yoko's on my Honda before and they were nice, but seeing my Honda is nothing like a Vette, I dont know how they would be. Tirerack gave it a 4 1/2 star rating. That's actually better than the Firestone's rating.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:55 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (Fastguy)

I bought Kumhos at http://www.tirerack.com, they were $92 each and I like them a lot. They were around $400 shipped.
$92 each?!?! what size is that????? I can't find any tires for less than $176
Old 02-04-2002, 07:31 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (Glock'94)

Too small for yours. :D 16" I think on the 88.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:32 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (Blue 92)

Too small for yours. :D 16" I think on the 88.
yeah, and probably 255's or something. I was gonna say .. I only have 6 tires to chose from for the rears and all of them are crazy expensive. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 02-04-2002, 07:47 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (Glock'94)

I bought a couple of Kumho's 275/40/17's for $130 a piece locally in Jax. I was not impressed with their handling or ride, but my car was not designed for 17" wheels either ( 87 came with 16's, now has Z51 9.5" 16's on and lovin it ).

Quick Reply: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help.