C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 01:31 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help.

Here goes the list of current things I noticed.

1. When driving at cruising speeds, if I let off the gas and slowly reapply the gas, it will run up 500-700 rpm before the tranny catches. It does not feel like slippage. Could this mean that the tranny is needing some servicing or is it normal? (Most important HELP request)
2. Acceleration feels a little sluggish.
3. Squeaks, rattles....live with 'em?
4. Tires. Any recommendations? 16" factory wheels.
5. I remember reading about someone fixing their power lumbar options. Anyone remember that thread?
6. The driver seat feels loose in it's bracket. The seat is bolted tight to the chasis, but it rocks a small bit. Anyway to fix this?

Noticed that the radiator was leaking this morning. Seems like the drain valve is 'broke?'. The thing wont tighten or loosen. When pressure builds up, there is a constant leak enough to make me nervious driving or letting the engine run for any amount of time. (Dont want to kill neighbor cats or dogs) Could it be anything else, or is there some kind of trick to the radiator drain screw that is different on the Vettes? If I do need to replace it, about how much should I expect to pay for the radiator itself?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2002, 01:38 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (VetteNoob)

I would have the tranny serviced. there is a strong possibility that it still has original fluid in it.

I don't know if these trannys have bands that are adjusted... just an idea.

I would also make sure the TV cable is well adjusted. this cable has something to do with the shiftpoints in relation to the engine, blah, blah, blah. I have a 6spd so I ain't got one!!! others here will detail the TV better than I can.

Old 02-03-2002, 01:41 PM
Jim-K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (VetteNoob)

The drain plug is a common peice. I replaced mine for a couple of dollars. Comes with the plug and the insert. Pretty much any auto parts store should have it.

Jim-K
Old 02-03-2002, 01:46 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (Jim-K)

Replacing the drain plug would require the radiator to be out of the car, correct? If the plug does not work, how do I go about draining my radiator without leaking it all over the floor? Just to clarify that the drain plug is not working properly....it is not supposed to keep spinning when I turn it, right? It IS suppose to stop one way or the other, correct? If I loosen it, the coolant should come pouring out and if I tighten it, the wing nut should stop, right?

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:54 PM
Jim-K
Racer

There's a little plastic insert that goes in the radiator, the new one will come with it, so you'll see what i mean. This is what the plug threads into. Yours is probably stripped, as was mine. I got mine out with some needle nose pliers. Yes, it should tighted as you'd expect. You should be able to replace it with the radiator in the car, you'll definitly have to jack it up to get at it.

Jim-K
Old 02-03-2002, 06:16 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (Jim-K)

Well....apparently ASC does not have a drain plug on their radiators. All they had was a plastic(nylon) valve. Nothing to replace, except for the radiator. I yanked out the entire radiator to make sure I was not on crack. So, any suggestions on what type of radiator to get and where and how much to expect to spend?
Old 02-03-2002, 06:24 PM
SlowJoe
Melting Slicks

Adjusting the TV cable is simple. If you don't have a factory manual, let me know and I'll send you the directions. I would assume it would be the same on your 86 as my 85. Also, you could buy my wheels and tires cheaper than a set of tires alone. I've got new wheels and don't see the point of these sitting in the garage, and they have a lot of tread left. BFG Comp TA VR. If you go new, I'd recommend those. They were much quieter and smoother than the Badyears that were on it when I bought the car.
(I'm selling the wheels and tires for $350 plus shipping and have pics I can email).
Old 02-03-2002, 06:32 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (bogus)

Uh, since you didnt say if it was an auto or not and what rpm it was doing the slipping at ... it's possible that is normal. In an auto, your rpms will go up and it won't "catch" until your torque convert stalls out on you. I believe stock on GM auto's are between 1800 and 2100. Mine seems to be right around 2k according to my tach.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:11 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (Glock'94)

SlowJoe,

Shoot me some pics and the directions for the TV adjust for the auto tranny. I dont have a manual yet, just got the Vette yesterday.

Glock'94,

Yeah, just noticed that in my post. It was in the Discussion thread, I just copied the problem part and forgot the tranny type. It is an auto and the slippage is about the range you are talking about. The tranny catches around 1800-2000rpm.

[Modified by VetteNoob, 5:12 PM 2/3/2002]
Old 02-03-2002, 07:14 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

SlowJoe,

Shoot me some pics and the directions for the TV adjust for the auto tranny. I dont have a manual yet, just got the Vette yesterday.

Glock'94,

Yeah, just noticed that in my post. It was in the Discussion thread, I just copied the problem part and forgot the tranny type. It is an auto and the slippage is about the range you are talking about. The tranny catches around 1800-2000rpm.

[Modified by VetteNoob, 5:12 PM 2/3/2002]
:D
Old 02-03-2002, 07:29 PM
86VetteBill
Racer

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (Glock'94)

Ok, I'll ask the stupid question...

Isn't that a reverse thread on the radiator? lefty-tighty, righty-loosey?
Old 02-03-2002, 07:51 PM
SlowJoe
Melting Slicks

Just emailed you.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:53 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (SlowJoe)

86VetteBill,

At this point, I dont know if the radiator is a reverse thread or not. The Wing free spins in both direction without stopping. I can turn it clockwise or counter till Im blue in the face and it doesnt stop.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:58 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (SlowJoe)

SlowJoe,

Are the wheels factory or aftermarket? Size? Got any pics of those? if they are aftermarkets?
Old 02-03-2002, 08:05 PM
SlowJoe
Melting Slicks

They are factory, I stripped the clearcoat and polished them. I'll shoot them to you. Did you get the tv cable instructions?
Old 02-03-2002, 10:19 PM
BBA
Safety Car

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=231617

Your double posting confused me...I was looking for my reply in this thread.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:28 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (BBA)

SlowJoe,

Yeah, got the TV info. Thanks. Shoot me the wheel pics.

BBA,

Sorry about that, someone suggested I post these things here in tech too. So I did. Didnt mean to confuse you.

Get notified of new replies

To Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help.

Old 02-03-2002, 11:41 PM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

1. When driving at cruising speeds, if I let off the gas and slowly reapply the gas, it will run up 500-700 rpm before the tranny catches. It does not feel like slippage. Could this mean that the tranny is needing some servicing or is it normal? (Most important HELP request)
A: This is most likely typical of Auto Corvettes with the 700R4 and the newer auto trannies, although a service may improve your transmission shift points, and the perceived "problem" may be less noticeable.

2. Acceleration feels a little sluggish.
A: You probably have a set of 2.59 gears in there, great for high speed, top end, not good for low end pulling power. Drop in a set of 3.07 in your Dana 36 rear end, and you will have a reasonable improvement in the feel of acceleration without sacrificing fuel economy or driveability.

3. Squeaks, rattles....live with 'em?
You don't have to live with them, but let us know if you ever get all the rattles out! :) One of my 84's has a lot of papwer towels and cushioning material behind the biggest rattle spots. But I still have not been able to get rid of all of them.

4. Tires. Any recommendations? 16" factory wheels.
I only run Firestone or BF Goodrich Comp T/A's, great tires

5. I remember reading about someone fixing their power lumbar options. Anyone remember that thread?
It can be done with aquarium hose, although the switch may be bad too. So first things first.

6. The driver seat feels loose in it's bracket. The seat is bolted tight to the chasis, but it rocks a small bit. Anyway to fix this?
This is common with the cars, the seats were meant to have a little built in play, just the way it is.

Noticed that the radiator was leaking this morning. Seems like the drain valve is 'broke?'. The thing wont tighten or loosen. When pressure builds up, there is a constant leak enough to make me nervious driving or letting the engine run for any amount of time. (Dont want to kill neighbor cats or dogs) Could it be anything else, or is there some kind of trick to the radiator drain screw that is different on the Vettes? If I do need to replace it, about how much should I expect to pay for the radiator itself?
The thread should be reverse threaded on your car, replace the plug before you really spring a leak, and blow your engine.

I learned a little with having 8 Vettes! :yesnod:
Old 02-04-2002, 12:54 AM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help. (Mr. CJ)

The radiator doesn't have a drain plug. It uses some kind of drain valve. No way to actually replace the valve. ASC radiator or something like that. So I am just going to replace the radiator.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:58 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seat frame can be rebuilt to get rid of the play. Tires I would look at michelin pilots, BF goodrich G force, and Firestone SZEP. Check out http://www.tirerack.com for reviews and prices.

Quick Reply: Noticed a few things about the Vette when I bought it yesterday. Please help.