C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transmission rear seal leaking again after 12 months

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 04:11 PM
YLO Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Transmission rear seal leaking again after 12 months

Once again, while doing an oil change, I noticed tranny fluid coating the underside of my car from a leaky rear transmission seal. I seem to have caught it in the early stages of melt-down this time, but I am very pissed off because Corvettes of Houston supposedly fixed this exactly 12 months ago :mad! I'm going to stop by tomorrow morning and have a nice "chat" with the new service manager :smash:. Bottom line is I'm not paying for anything that I paid for the first time (almost $1000 worth of work!!). So, since they will have to drop the transmission, what other things should I look at and replace? I'm thinking about doing the driveshaft u-joints, both front and rear tranny seals, and maybe the rear differential seal. What else? Would it be easier to do the Hurst shifter install with the transmission out? Thanks for your ideas :).
Old 02-03-2002, 05:04 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Transmission rear seal leaking again after 12 months (94vette)

:eek: :eek: You shouldn't have to drop the tranny to replace that seal... are you talking about this one (yes on a blazer, but the same tranny):

Edit: DOH just saw you're talking about a 6spd. Ok, it's probably different, but I didn't think you had to drop the tranny to replace the seal on it either. Isn't the rear housing the same on that tranny as the 4L60E?

[Modified by Glock'94, 3:04 PM 2/3/2002]

[Modified by Glock'94, 3:05 PM 2/3/2002]
Old 02-03-2002, 07:16 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Someone from Doug Rippie told me you should be extremely careful to ensure that the bolts on the torque are torqued to factory spec and not overtorqued. If overtorqued then the tranny tailshaft can be crushed leading to failure on the rear seal. I hope that's not what happened in your case.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:24 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did they replace the trans output shaft bearing AND install a new drive shaft front yoke? If not, that's why it's leaking again.

New seals will only help worn parts for so long.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:35 PM
YLO Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: Transmission rear seal leaking again after 12 months (BBA)

The only thing they replaced was the driveshaft gasket. I'll talk to them about the output shaft and driveshaft yoke. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2002, 07:53 PM
Rolla Dunkin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a bronze bushing in the tail housing behind the rear seal that supports the yoke, that is most likely bad and needs to be replaced.You do not have to remove the trans to do this. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission rear seal leaking again after 12 months

Quick Reply: Transmission rear seal leaking again after 12 months