C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

what do you think would be the best exaust???

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 10:38 PM
miker61588
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you think would be the best exaust???

i have most of my car done i just cant seem to find a good exaust that wont resonate like a bastard, and have no back pressure. i can have some one weld in a balance pipe but i cant find anybody to do a custom exaust cause of new york state law (no cats) any ideas??
Old 02-03-2002, 11:35 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: what do you think would be the best exaust??? (miker61588)

Do you have the stock exhaust on the car now? I know that Ecklers sells a rear Y pipe with a crossover pipe and they claim that that reduces/eliminates the resonance. If it really does work as well as they claim it does, you could buy one of those or also it would probably be pretty easy for an exhaust shop to add a crossover to your stock y-pipe.

I have duals with a crossover pipe (located on what would be the front y-pipe if it were a single exhaust) and a pair of mufflers (no cats) and I have no resonance.
There must be a shop somewhere around you who could build you a legal system that won't rattle your teeth :)

[Modified by A, 9:37 PM 2/3/2002]
Old 02-03-2002, 11:37 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: what do you think would be the best exaust??? (A)

have you thought about Power Effects? when open the resonance is not bad at all. Close it up and you have a problem though.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:55 PM
AS84
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what do you think would be the best exaust??? (vader86)

supposedly TPIS has reworked their catback in order to remove resonance. I'll let ya know in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:00 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hmm that's wierd. Around here if you get rid of your cats on your stock manifolds they can't do anything, or if you have shorties they can't do anything. If you have long tubes they can still work on it because it's a "race" application.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:07 PM
miker61588
Pro

Default Re: what do you think would be the best exaust??? (Nathan Plemons)

they told me without a cat cant touch exaust.. A i have that dynomax pipe it works great? i havent put it on yet i have the the long tube headers going into my front Y pipe to a single then weld the new rear y pipe on then i was thinking about the ultraflos??
Old 02-04-2002, 12:29 PM
95DropTop
Pro

Cut off the muffs...sounds great and no back pressure!
Old 02-04-2002, 07:07 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Mike,
I went with the LT1 Corsa system for mine. It cost me $27 to get late C4 (95-96) exhaust hangers. I put two Random Tech bullit 3" cats directly onto the end of the header collectors (they JUST fit along the ZF6) and had the muffler shop bend me two stainless head-pipes to go from the cats to the resonator. Ran me about $150 for the shop to do that part (I had the system already hung on the car).

First time I took it to the inspection station they didn't want to pass it until I told them to take a closer look under the car. It has a full, LEGAL exhaust system (headers are TPIS units with AIR tubes) and even passed a sniffer test (which we don't have to do yet, thank goodness).

I'm sure I lost a few HP because of it, but it is fun to whip the Mustangs and be able to say I did it with a real "street-legal" car. You can get the power out of the car and still have a full exhaust system on the car, just need to work at it a little. The dyno numbers in the signature are with the exhaust system on the car.

There is absolutely zero resonance with this system. It seeems that with most people they either love it or hate it. It is slightly louder than stock and burbles a little at idle. At cruise it is quieter than the stock system, but crack the loud pedal hard and it really sings to you.

[Modified by Joe90, 5:12 PM 2/4/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To what do you think would be the best exaust???

Quick Reply: what do you think would be the best exaust???