C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Full Length Headers For 1987 Convertible A4

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:59 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Full Length Headers For 1987 Convertible A4

Looking for advice-experiences from other owners of the 1985-1991 TPI powered
C4's out there. Full Length Header Choices for my 1987 Convetible.

I have the A4 / 700R4 trans. The Factory X brace is intact on the undercariage.

What are the best fitting headers with fantastic street-stip performance?

Have been looking at Hooker Headers, Stainless Steel Works, & Melrose Headers this evening online.

Does Headman Headers, *COOKS* Headers, Or LEMAN Headers offer headers for a C4 Vette also ?

I have allways preffered Hooker's personally on GM cars.

Hooker's work fantastic on 454 Chevy Big Blocks, 455 Pontiacs, other Big Blocks in my experience prior. Very few clearance issues during installation.

Realize that most Headers require some sort of mild fabrication, modification of brackets, making clearance with nearby parts, and hooking up to an exixting exaughst system.

I prefer to have 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" primary tubes and a 3" or 3 1/2" collector.

Fairly Easy Header installation without "Dinging the Primary Tubes with a Ball Pean Hammer to make clearance with adjacent obstacles is allways a big bonus.

Not Many Corvette owners prefer that option.
But true race machinery it is a very commen practice. Just Ugly.

Scraping the Header Collectors or Bottom Primary Tubes with the road is never fun likewise.

What is the difference with the 1984-1985 Angle Plug Iron Head Vettes and the Later Angle Plug Aluminum Head Vettes?

I noticed that there are different header Part #'s on Hooker Headers for these cars.

What is the Header difference with the LT1 powered cars ?

I am planning to do an engine swap later this year. I have a Fresh built 410 Brodex headed Smallblock with a Streetable Compression Ratio on my engine stand. The current cam is too hot for EFI.

Depending upon my Camshaft Profile and Induction System Choice, projected power is 430(muffled) - 500+ horsepower(Open Headers).

Maxium Streetable Hassle Free Daily Driving is my goal with this Combo so I am Erring closer to the 430 HP figure. Let the Big Cubes and Stroke make Torque to proplel the car forward 1st.

Engine Torque estimated around 525-550Ft/lbs.

A power band of 1500-2,000 TO 6,500-7,000 is my intended RPM range.

It needs Airflow In and Exaughsted Out to realize these power goals.

A Dana 44 Rear End Swap is in the works the next few weeks. Then rebuilding the original 700R4 Trans to handle the power is next(currently using a 1988 trans in my car). Before completing my engine swap.

Less parts to worry about failing the 1st time I step on the gas hard with this 410 engine.

Are 2" primary tubes out of the question with this 410 engine? Would it require header adapter plates ? Or are 2" headers only custom, like from LEMON Headers?

Thanks, BR.

Last edited by 87 vette 81 big girl; 05-16-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:59 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Br,
You confused the heck outta me.You want to know what headers to use with a TPI engine but you plan to do a engine swap later on?

So which is it?You want headers for a TPI system or do you want headers for the engine your going to install later?While they can be similar,please tell us which one you want to use it for in the long run.

Also,do you want headers with emissions/egr in mind or without?

Do you need to keep the air tubes and egr feed?Or you want headers that dont use any of it?

Yes the late 86/87 and up with aluminum heads have angled plugs.They make headers to fit that style.The plugs are angled different so you cant use an 85 or earlier header system.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:27 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

I am sorry, LOL. Its late at night and has been a long work week and nothing but rain all month long it seems here in Illinois. That alone leaves me scrambling to drive my car again in nice weather and sunshine.

Yes I would like to know what your favorite headers are for these C4 L98 TPI engines in nearly stock form.

And later this year I will make the engine swap out to that 410 small block. It is based off a 1971 400 4 bolt block.

Would 1 set of headers meet both my current and future needs?

Or would I need to purchase 2 sets of headers To suit each engine best?

I can do without the AIR smog tubes and EGR.

I live 100 miles southewest of Chicago. So I dont have to comply with yearly smog checks.

Brian

Last edited by 87 vette 81 big girl; 05-16-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:31 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Why you say "Does Headman Headers, *COOKS* Headers, Or LEMAN Headers offer headers for a C4 Vette also ?"

What you mean ?
Old 05-16-2009, 02:43 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

I should proof read better I suppose this late at night what I WRITE.

Headman, COOKS, And LEMON HEADERS. The later 2 names are used with the high dollar racers. Some friends of mine, they are not Corvette Owners, use their headers with great success on their 1/4 mile Race cars. Typically 9's or lower quarter mile time racers use them. Often custom fabricated to there engine combos and Chassis.

I have a few FORD racing Buddies - Renegade Class racers using those headers. COOKS and LEMONS. They are very expensive to purchase new. But they help extract horsepower and my friends in Chicago swear by them.

Just wondering what is out there for C4 headers to buy. Your experience with a particular brand or several of them.

Like to Buy Headers only once for my Corvette.

Brian
Old 05-16-2009, 02:45 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

My Ford Buddies think this old C4 is pretty Cool..... They have seen very few of them.

BR
Old 05-16-2009, 02:46 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

You mean KOOKS! and LEMON headers lol !
i got myself Thermal coated 68448 Hedman Headers,87 TPI
i have to install them yet
Old 05-16-2009, 02:57 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

lol. I have spent too much time with Chicago at times...... You start talking like them, even write likewise too....

yes.

How much power can be gained with headers and eliminating the pre-cats and main catalytic converter on my Nearly Stock L-98? It has the 2.73 Dana 36. I have a 1985 Dana 44 being shipped to me early next week. 3.07 gear.

The motor is tight still, Runs VERY STRONG. 58 lbs of oil pressure at 2,600 RPMs with the oil temp at 200 F.

No blow by, PVC unhooked from Valvecover and oil filler cap off.

Would like to see what this car can do in the 1/4 before the engine swap.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:03 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

From what i have learned,headers is the best mod you can do to the L98 which exhaust is very restrictive,so you really wake up the power adding headers,from what i guess 15-20 hp's
Old 05-16-2009, 03:08 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

That is sizeable power gain with an exaughst system upgrade/ headers on a stock motor.

Have you raced your '87 TPI? What sort of times do You turn? What mods have You made to Your car ?
Old 05-16-2009, 03:11 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Never mind about your engine combo, took a look at your profile. Your Vette is equipped with the Z52 handling and engie oil cooler option like my Vert is.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
That is sizeable power gain with an exaughst system upgrade/ headers on a stock motor.

Have you raced your '87 TPI? What sort of times do You turn? What mods have You made to Your car ?
Never raced it,at first,i used to baby it,not anymore
maybe i will race it soon.-

Im currently modifying it ,its a neverending story
Here's my updated list (Not engine only related)

- Fikse FM5's 18" Rear 17" front (285/3518 R) (255/40/17 F)
- Air valve caps (w/logo)
- Like-new Center cap set w/wrench and bolts
- Solid top painted to match (to replace cracked fiberglass which i don't like)
- Brand new emblems
- Console Cushion
- Console spring
- Brand new bezels and power window switches
- Hatch struts
- Hood struts
- Rear trim panels
- Air dam
- Cut lid & K&N Air filter (but i sold it ..i want SLP Cold air induction)
- Oil filter magnet protection
- Shift stick lock (theft deterrent)
- HID Foglights
- TH700R4 overhaul with Raybestos Stage I clutches & plates
- B&M 2400 Holeshot Torque Converter
- B&M Shift Kit
- Sonnax .283" Reverse Boost valve
- Sonnax .500" Throttle Boost Valve
- The beast sun gear shell
- Bored over .30 block
- Brand new bearings
- Brand new lifters
- Flat top Hypereutectic Mahle pistons
- ZZ4 Camshaft
- LT4 Valve Springs
- Edelbrock 4246 elite series valve covers
- Bosch o2 Sensor
- Chrome CS130 Alternator
- Mr. Gasket Clear Distributor cap & Rotor
- Accel Brute thunder Coil
- Accel 8.8 spark plug wires
- Accel ignition module
- Brand new AC Delco spark plugs
- Mr. Gasket flex-braided hose sleeves
- New sender units (oil-oil temp-knock-coolant)
- Brand new Bosch battery
- Lock type gas cap
- Custom Mufflers
- Polished plenum & runners
- Hypertech 160° thermostat
- Bosch II ZR1 Injectors
- E-brake hardware (have it ...yet to be installed)
- E-brake cables (3) (have it ...yet to be installed)
- Front Lowering kit (have it ...yet to be installed)
- Rear Lowering kit (have i ...yet to be installed)
- Edelbrock pushrods (yet to be installed)
- Crane Cams 1.5 Gold Roller Rockers (yet to be installed)
- Hedman Hedders 68448 (yet to be installed)
Old 05-16-2009, 03:34 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

From the list You provided, It must be one Very nice '87 Coupe, personalized to you own liking and taste. Should or Must Run Very Strong. Its hard to keep your foot out of these Cars on the road I agree. lol

I hate Illinois Potholes. LOL. Our former Govenor Blagochips never spent 1 cent repairing the roads in the last 10 years. He is something all his own to say the least.

I am going to have to retire for the evening. Thanks for you tips. Look forward to talking you again in the future.

Good evening, or morning here.

Brian
Old 05-16-2009, 03:37 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

You're welcome 335 am here
Where i live there are LOTS of potholes,the streets are a mess
Old 05-16-2009, 03:50 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with tpis ceramic coated longtubes, tpis 3 inch precat pipe, a highflow 3 inch cat, tpis 3.5 into 3 inch dual catback pipe, flowmaster super44's and your choice of tips.

My friend bought that for his 1990 six speed very nice quality stuff. Its going to be used on his supercharged 396 build.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:06 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

I drove my Corvette last fall with the girlfriend to her Highschool reunion in Reston, Virginia. I crossed through Indiana.

You have great roads compared to Illinois I think.

lol. I had a blast driving my Corvette on our road trip. Drove 700+ miles each way within 72 hours.

We left late on a Friday Night at 10pm.

At 8:30pm I was just getting the lower intake mainfold back on. Was replacing out Coolant Leaking Intake Gaskets. I started at 5pm. After work in my bosses shop.

And a fuel injector that was plugged up. She thought we would never hit the hightway and was panicking. Her reunion was Sat. night starting at 4pm.

I drove all night averaging 85-90MPH. The Car never missed a beat.

We stopped to sleep for 4 hours at a motel at 7am. Then hit the road agin before noon.
Arrived in Reston around 4pm. And made it to that 20th reuion.

Slept for the night afterwards. And around 1pm Sunday on the road back home to Illinois.

After owning, driving, maintaining and repairing my C4 for 2 years, most all other cars/non Corvettes pale in comparision to me. I am an Automechanic so I see , repair, and drive everything out there often.

Thank GOD For Country Roads! They are in still Great condition outside of my town(S).

BR

Last edited by 87 vette 81 big girl; 05-16-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:42 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Calderone, is not from Indiana, he is from Chile, South America.
The internet brings together people from everywhere and you will find, there are Corvette people world wide..
As for headers TPIS sells coated headers that fit well. I have had them for several years. There are some nice stainless headers out there now and if I were buying now I would probably go that way. I really like stainless.

Get notified of new replies

To Full Length Headers For 1987 Convertible A4

Old 05-16-2009, 08:49 AM
realsass
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackDidley
Calderone, is not from Indiana, he is from Chile, South America.
The internet brings together people from everywhere and you will find, there are Corvette people world wide..
As for headers TPIS sells coated headers that fit well. I have had them for several years. There are some nice stainless headers out there now and if I were buying now I would probably go that way. I really like stainless.
I have had a set of the ceramic coated TPIS headers on mine for 5 years now. They are custom made for our TPI C4's an require no mods to install. They are custom designed to install with a factory fit.No clearance issues (on my 86). I have always had great customer service with them as well.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:08 PM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default headers

I am extremely happy with the fit and quality of the Hooker 2151-1 that I just put on my 86. I am planning future mods the same as you are and I think they will work just fine for what you want to do. Looks like plenty of room for “D” exhaust ports or whatever in the future. The hardest part for me was hooking them up to the dual exhaust that was already on the car. IMO the Hooker 2151-1 is a great buy.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:13 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Hi, I was lookling at the Hooker #2151-1 Headers for the C4's too.
I am glad to hear they fit up great in your 1986 Covette with no fittment issues.

I have used Hooker Super Competition Headers on GM cars for years and Just Love them.
Torque off the Line and Plenty of Top End breathing capability to well over 8,000Rpms on a built Race engine.

I will likely go with the Same Hooker Headers as You have on '86. Just wish they would offer them with a 3-1/2" Collector. My Personal Favorite Collector size to use with engines 400 Cubic Inches and bigger. Then Hook them up to a true daul 3inch ID. Exhaustt system with old school 2- Chamber Flowmaster Mufflers.

Loud as Hell though ! LOL.

BR

Quick Reply: Full Length Headers For 1987 Convertible A4