C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can i remove the diverter valves without screwing anything up?

Old 02-06-2002, 09:19 PM

Default Can i remove the diverter valves without screwing anything up?

i am in the process of doing some major work on my 85, i have already removed the smog pump, the egr is going bye bye once i install the superram, and now i want to get rid of the two ugly diverter valves, can i just unplug and remove them? will it screw up the computer? without the smog pump what good are they? i will be installing a accel DFI computer and a procharger, i am doing it mostly one step at a time and am not sure if the car will still be drivable without the diverter valves. thanks for the input :chevy
Old 02-07-2002, 01:07 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Can i remove the diverter valves without screwing anything up? (Kamarossrs)

Yep you can unplug those diverter solenoids and it will be ok to run.
I have the BPP air pump eliminator and s required when you remove the smog pump to tie the extra wire plug somewhere safe.

However on my 86, on the A/C bracket is a diverter valve, I left the wire plugged in and it has a vacuum line port here and is where a long vacuum line from the plenum area plug in..I left that plugged in and capped off a exposed vacuum port there that used to run to the A/C solenoid.
Dont know if the 85 is the same but I did this to mine and left that one piece on the a/c.

Btw I capped off the diverter valves on the stock manifolds by removing them and installing 1/2 inch threaded pipe caps on there to clean up the engine bay.
Dont forget to remove the pipe and diverter valve that goes to the catalytic converter and cap it off under there.

:)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can i remove the diverter valves without screwing anything up?