C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Average clutch life LT1 / ZF6

Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 PM
ChrisWhewell
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Average clutch life LT1 / ZF6

Anyone know what the typical clutch life (in miles) associated with the dual-mass flywheel / clutch setup on an LT-1 propelled C4 is ?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:05 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

90-120k avg

ZFDoc has one that's at 170k (and still passes the tension test).
Old 06-05-2009, 12:31 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
90-120k avg

ZFDoc has one that's at 170k (and still passes the tension test).
incredible
Old 06-05-2009, 02:16 AM
BAM92
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Previous owner replaced clutch and flywheel at 115k.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 AM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

At 47K, my disk looks like new.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:33 AM
ChrisWhewell
Pro

Mine's at 100k. Was previously owned by a rather mellow female who said she had it changed once already but I can't verify.

I'm wondering whether its worthwhile to get under there and change the clutch disc, before it goes out and takes the flywheel with it.

Or, is that not true that the cause of flywheel f*vkups is when the clutch goes ?

I'd like to preserve that DM flywheel. Other than driving nicely, is there anything one can do to extend flywheel life ? 1993 LT1 w / ZF6.

Thanks !!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:33 AM
MBDiagMan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm happy to read the responses to this thread.

Clutch life is determined SOLELY by the person managing the two pedals.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Clutch Life

Just replaced mine at 68K. The flywheel was shot, and the clutch was 90% gone. replaced both (good luck finding a DM flywheel) along with throw-out bearing, pilot bearing (GM roller), pivot ball & keeper. Flushed the hydraulics, and changed the tranny fluid. This is NOT an easy job!!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:36 PM
2VettesMike
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought my car with 48K and had to replace a slipping clutch at 50K. Used original DM flywheel with a new clutch and now I'm at 154K with no apparent problems.

Clutch kit at:

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowIt...tch%20Kit.aspx

From a few threads it appears that the DM flywheel can have it's surface machined in most cases.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...esurfaced.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-flywheel.html

Good Luck,

Thanks,

Mike
Old 06-05-2009, 03:04 PM
ChrisWhewell
Pro

Originally Posted by Itshakes
Just replaced mine at 68K. The flywheel was shot, and the clutch was 90% gone. replaced both (good luck finding a DM flywheel) along with throw-out bearing, pilot bearing (GM roller), pivot ball & keeper. Flushed the hydraulics, and changed the tranny fluid. This is NOT an easy job!!
What happens to the DM flywheels on these ??? Just excessive wear ?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:07 PM
ChrisWhewell
Pro

Originally Posted by 2VettesMike
Bought my car with 48K and had to replace a slipping clutch at 50K. Used original DM flywheel with a new clutch and now I'm at 154K with no apparent problems.

Clutch kit at:

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowIt...tch%20Kit.aspx

From a few threads it appears that the DM flywheel can have it's surface machined in most cases.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...esurfaced.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-flywheel.html

Good Luck,

Thanks,

Mike
Thanks a bunch for that.

Can't help but wonder whether a worn flywheel can't be electroformed with chromium or some other metal to restore its thickness, like Cal-Valves does to OEM valve stems, then machine them flat. Adding 0.020-0.050" by electroforming and machining flat should be no big deal and also very cost effective.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Clutch Life

It was not the surface that failed on mine. It was the "Dual Mass" part- the springs, and the rubber piece between the two parts failed, and there was too much play in the two pieces. The surface was OK but the flywheel itself was loose, and would not return to center (too much horsepower, too much traction, too much drag racing!)
Old 06-05-2009, 04:21 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ChrisWhewell,

Any chance the previous owner lady remembers where the clutch was done? If so, you could try contacting them to see if they kept any records or memory of the change.

Replacing the clutch disk will help (increases material and reduces heat build-up/transfer to DM flywheel -- just like brake pads).

Also, replacing the Clutch Slave cylinder (and maybe the master) and the hydraulic fluid can help substantially by reducing the stress on the clutch (only use GM dealer fluid it has special properties to help remove trapped air and reduce squeaking).

However, unfortunately, the DM flywheel has a finite life too. It has a fluid and seals which fail with time/heat as can the springs weaken (as mentioned by the earlier forum member). Usually in the 100K-150K range...

If you plan on keeping the car for many years, then keep your ears open for a new DM from some of the discount sources and buy one in advance of needing it (e.g. forum supporting vendors, partsladi on ebay, etc). BTW, the DM's are still available from the dealers, so in a pinch, you can still get them, albeit expensive...
Old 06-05-2009, 04:32 PM
ChrisWhewell
Pro

Originally Posted by theadmiral94
ChrisWhewell,

Any chance the previous owner lady remembers where the clutch was done? If so, you could try contacting them to see if they kept any records or memory of the change.

Replacing the clutch disk will help (increases material and reduces heat build-up/transfer to DM flywheel -- just like brake pads).

Also, replacing the Clutch Slave cylinder (and maybe the master) and the hydraulic fluid can help substantially by reducing the stress on the clutch (only use GM dealer fluid it has special properties to help remove trapped air and reduce squeaking).

However, unfortunately, the DM flywheel has a finite life too. It has a fluid and seals which fail with time/heat as can the springs weaken (as mentioned by the earlier forum member). Usually in the 100K-150K range...

If you plan on keeping the car for many years, then keep your ears open for a new DM from some of the discount sources and buy one in advance of needing it (e.g. forum supporting vendors, partsladi on ebay, etc). BTW, the DM's are still available from the dealers, so in a pinch, you can still get them, albeit expensive...
Very helpful, Sir. Thanks. I'm seriously considering putting in a new clutch disk. I spent a bit of time at zf doc's website, regarding master and slave cylinder issues, & cet. Did his recommended test and it passes, for now. I'm the pre-emptive maintenance type, as opposed to after the fact repair. I really appreciate your helpful reply. ::))

Get notified of new replies

To Average clutch life LT1 / ZF6

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Average clutch life LT1 / ZF6