C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1991 project car...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:22 PM
sparkey
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 project car...need advice

Hey folks,
Need some advice...

Here's the background: I have a 91 project that I just acquired. The car is a runner, handles well, shifts nice, but definitely has a few issues; high idle, sagging rear spring, missing interior parts, hacked up dash harness, etc. What I found today was that car appears to be missing almost all of the emissions equiment under the hood (seems to have the cats though), but the charcoal canister is gone, sensors are missing, etc.

My county requires both inspections and smog tests, so the choices are to put the equipment back...or...make it a race car.

Motor seems to run alright, albeit with a really high idle, body and frame are alright, glass is good...I got the car for a song, so I'm not really out any money yet and I'm not afraid to do any work myself.

Thoughts on what it would cost to put it back together?

Any ideas on where I could get a complete emissions setup?

I don't want to put more than 2,500 into the car...am I crazy?

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:57 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

$2500 isn't going to be enough to "complete" the Vette. I would just make it a race car.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:55 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If i had to buy all of the emmisions parts I would put together a list of parts and call some vette yards and get an idea prices (corvette salvage, vette to vette etc.) As to 2500., I think it depends on how far you want to take it. The 90 and 91 parts will be the same for drivetrain, emmisions and the like.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I recently bought an 89 Vette for the purpose of doing both street driving and some drag racing (keeping the 09 totally stock). The car looked good, had a full interior and full stock engine (emissions and all other factory hookups) and still I have spent $3218.73 on making it all work. I have not even gotten into the engine yet, except for replacing the injectors, and with 170,000 miles it will need some engine work for drag racing (the car has run 14.0 currently and that is pretty much normal), so your "estimate" of $2500 is to low if your car has so much missing. I'd give serious consideration to what you want to do "with" or "to" it.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:34 AM
tgtexas02
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 184 Posts

Have several project type vettes so very familiar with how you can spend money. I have an 84 which I have completely refurbished and have about 12k to 13k in it. Did everything myself too (suspension, paint, weatherstrip, interior, motor, and trans). It is like new but took some real effort, patience and money. I really enjoy doing this type stuff so it is more of a hobby for me. I believe that a "project" doesn't actually save you money in the short to near term--especially if you never really complete things. And, most projects usually get passed on to another buyer as a "project".

On the positive side as I know you want to complete things, it is extremely rewarding to have rescued a neglected vette. I have gotten many parts from EBAY folks that buy these cars and part them out. For me, I lucked out and had such a fellow within a 45 minute drive from me. If I needed a complete system and he had one, it always turned out to be less expensive than buying from a salvage yard. So, think you need to decide just how far you want to take this car. Then expect to have many more things come up which you hadn't really planned on to occur. To me, I would think you could get all the misc emissions stuff and rear spring from an EBAYER or salvage yard and other misc parts (sensors, TPI rebuild items, how bout new shocks) from your local parts store. Seems you could do this on your 2.5k and a little bit more. Would you be satisfied to stop there or will you let paint and interior and weatherstrip nag at you too? This will cost you alot more money. Best of luck and enjoy it.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:02 PM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Nope

Originally Posted by sparkey
Hey folks,
Need some advice...

Here's the background: I have a 91 project that I just acquired. The car is a runner, handles well, shifts nice, but definitely has a few issues; high idle, sagging rear spring, missing interior parts, hacked up dash harness, etc. What I found today was that car appears to be missing almost all of the emissions equiment under the hood (seems to have the cats though), but the charcoal canister is gone, sensors are missing, etc.

My county requires both inspections and smog tests, so the choices are to put the equipment back...or...make it a race car.

Motor seems to run alright, albeit with a really high idle, body and frame are alright, glass is good...I got the car for a song, so I'm not really out any money yet and I'm not afraid to do any work myself.

Thoughts on what it would cost to put it back together?

Any ideas on where I could get a complete emissions setup?

I don't want to put more than 2,500 into the car...am I crazy?

Thanks for the input!
You're not crazy. I bought my '91 last year, not knowing how much of a project it would turn out to be, it was in much worse shape than I thought.

If you shop carefully, look for as many used parts as you can, and do most or all of the work yourself you should be able to get it back in good condition.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:40 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

First off, take some pictures of the engine compartment, that way we can see whats missing and what you need. I have removed the EGR and Air systems from my car and still have most of the parts, so maybe I can help.

Randy

BTW, the high idle could be from a vacuum leak.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Red98C5
I recently bought an 89 Vette for the purpose of doing both street driving and some drag racing (keeping the 09 totally stock). The car looked good, had a full interior and full stock engine (emissions and all other factory hookups) and still I have spent $3218.73 on making it all work. I have not even gotten into the engine yet, except for replacing the injectors, and with 170,000 miles it will need some engine work for drag racing (the car has run 14.0 currently and that is pretty much normal), so your "estimate" of $2500 is to low if your car has so much missing. I'd give serious consideration to what you want to do "with" or "to" it.
The first rule of having a project car is to keep the receipts, but never, never add them up.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Red98C5
Thats about how much i've spent on my '85 INCLUDING all of the performance upgrades, you're doing it wrong

Yes my car still needs paint and the interior is not perfect, but it all works.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 AM
flash man
Heel & Toe

Hi,

I would check ebay, craigslist and auto parts stores. My smog pump went bad in my 86 Corvette. Advance auto has a reman for 65 bucks. I have saved a lot of money buying parts online. Shop around because some of these corvette part suppliers want telephone numbers for their parts. Good luck.

Joe Flash man
Old 06-12-2009, 01:31 AM
tachout
Racer

Well let me chime in on this. I have decided to turn my 90 driver into a Race Car, but am going to try to make it pass smog. If that fails, and it becomes a Race only car, I would guess I have everything you are missing. I know I have your rear leaf, and I have already begun the Back halving, and putting in a 9" If you want to go stock, just keep searching as there are deals out there to be had if you look around. If you want to turn it into a race car, just depending on how fast you want to go depends on your cash out. Speed is a Matter of Money, and it is all in how fast you want to (And can Afford to go).
Old 06-12-2009, 01:59 AM
c4sailor
Pro

Originally Posted by 383vett
The first rule of having a project car is to keep the receipts, but never, never add them up.
That goes for racing sailboats too!! "Lead-bottomed money gobblers"
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Demonic85
Thats about how much i've spent on my '85 INCLUDING all of the performance upgrades, you're doing it wrong

Yes my car still needs paint and the interior is not perfect, but it all works.
While your comment may have been "off the cuff" it sure does not sound like it. If your serious, you are in no position to know what I've done so don't comment on it.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Post of the day....the rest of you can go home now....
Old 06-12-2009, 08:30 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

yup true enough

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 project car...need advice

Quick Reply: 1991 project car...need advice