C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

434 back in and on the chassis dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:31 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jerkyboy
Absolutely not and didn't take it that way. I value anyone's experience at this stuff...that's why I come to the forum. I will take this info and share it with the shop. Thank you.
You are quite welcome glad to help.. I was at the first EMIC dealer training course with john meany who was with them at the time and actually dynoed DFI serial # 2 with him in CT... When at dealer training I was listening to the presentation he told me you are on the wrong side of the conversation we need someone with that group over there would go show them how to get it working right..LOL... Seriously if no one has a O'scope to check for noise this could get long and exspensive.. I would go for ignition pickups and seconary ignition noise first. Both rf causing a reset for the processor in the DFI and corrupted ignition pick up signals would account for all your problems. The resets will make the pc interface drop out and lean out on the top and extra pulses would change fueling by adding too much at low speed by making the thing fire the ful more than once and later going to a place in the map with no useful values as you will never go there. One way to find it is to set the hard rev limit to a number just above max rpm on the dyno and make it a hard limit so both fuel and ignition kill and see if you hit it way early another is to see if rpm on PC matches the one on the tach / dyno though crude lacking a scope a quick and dirty test for big problems. If tech showed up with no scope at all hoping to do it all on the keyboard you will not get fixed if it has anything to do with my thoughts on it. I always have one with me the lab scope stays in the shop but a hand held is under 500 bucks and always travels with me...
best of luck and good fortune on your project..
Dave
Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Can't wait to see the beast up and running!!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

.... I should've listed to the shop in the beginning and pulled the Accel system, sold it and put in the FAST system. I'd have my car back by now
And they are an Accel EMIC dealer, yes?

And yeah, I got a quote 2 weeks ago from vette2vette for a replacement engine harness. I'm thinking about going back to the original ecm..

Good luck, thanks for keeping us posted!
Old 07-26-2009, 03:54 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Hope you get it sorted out soon. The DFI is a gem of a system I absolutely love it. Details on the mufflers? Setup looks real sharp from behind.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:27 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RainDelay
And they are an Accel EMIC dealer, yes?

And yeah, I got a quote 2 weeks ago from vette2vette for a replacement engine harness. I'm thinking about going back to the original ecm..

Good luck, thanks for keeping us posted!
Yes, George was involved with Accel in the early days and is EMIC qualified. He said from the beginning that the Accel product has issues and he'd rather use the FAST system. He sells all of it. Since I already invested the $$ and had the Accel system, I chose to keep it and he said he would work with it. He seems to know a lot of people at Accel so I am hoping it gets worked out. This shop seems top notch and many of the techs have degrees in mechanical/electrical engineering. Check it out:
http://www.marylandperformance.com/
Old 07-26-2009, 08:29 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pryderei
Hope you get it sorted out soon. The DFI is a gem of a system I absolutely love it. Details on the mufflers? Setup looks real sharp from behind.
The mufflers in the pics are my 40 series flowmasters. They sounded awesome but the drone took years off my hearing so I have switched to Corsa's. I am keeping the flows just in case I don't like the Corsas.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:54 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

How are you making out with this?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:34 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
How are you making out with this?
Shop went on vacation til today. I have printed out your recommendations and am taking it over tomorrow. I got to thinking that the only thing changed (other than the computer) from the engine dyno was the distributor. They used a nice new MSD unit and now I have my original distributor back in.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:29 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Be sure to have them check the ohms on the plug wires and not screw around unless they are at least or more than 700 ohms per foot in length. If you old ones are stiff there throw those on as a test I assume you drove the car there..LOL.. Some of the new super conductor and 8.8 wires are very low ohms and can be a problem with ECM rf..
Dave
Old 07-29-2009, 01:45 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Shop went on vacation til today. I have printed out your recommendations and am taking it over tomorrow. I got to thinking that the only thing changed (other than the computer) from the engine dyno was the distributor. They used a nice new MSD unit and now I have my original distributor back in.
I thought the Accel Gen 7 requires the use of a dual sync distributor. Could this be your problem?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383vett
I thought the Accel Gen 7 requires the use of a dual sync distributor. Could this be your problem?
The program can run either way
Old 07-29-2009, 03:42 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The program can run either way
a dual sync or a crank trigger correct?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:23 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

It looks like DDahlgren was right. We replaced the stock HEI with an MSD unit with a magnetic pickup. Same problems (actually worse). Then went with a dual synch non mag (holographic ???) Accel unit. Problem gone. She's off the dyno and on the road doing some tuning. What a hassle!!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

So what did it put down?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

yeah, i wanna see!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

It looks like DDahlgren was right. We replaced the stock HEI with an MSD unit with a magnetic pickup. Same problems (actually worse). Then went with a dual synch non mag (holographic ???) Accel unit. Problem gone. She's off the dyno and on the road doing some tuning. What a hassle!!
Hey very cool glad it is on the road being finished with a bit of luck you will be driving this weekend burning gas making noise and a big grin on your face I know I will and i only have a stock L98 but driving the vette is always a better day than working.. I have a great woman been dating and headed to go hike the Heritage trail in RI this weekend so a road trip and some great fun as well. The problem you had is that some ECMs are better at dealing with a mag sensor than others, Have fun and glad I could help a tiny bit geting you going on the road..
Dave
Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

I'll post the dyno sheet when I get it back. Made 465/433 on the superflo which is about what I made before on a dyno jet. I was able to take the car out for a quick spin yesterday and the seat of the pants tells me I have way more power than I had before!! I am sure there are differences in the two dynos but man did it feel good. I had a huge on my face when I got back. They need to button up a few things, clean her up, tally my bill and hopefully have it back for the weekend. Here's a couple pics I took yesterday:

Get notified of new replies

To 434 back in and on the chassis dyno

Old 08-06-2009, 11:43 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

i love seeing pics of "landjet".

what is your compression ratio again? and will you be running it this year?

glad to see you got it back together. it's enjoyable to see guys running n/a big strokers.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:49 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
i love seeing pics of "landjet".

what is your compression ratio again? and will you be running it this year?

glad to see you got it back together. it's enjoyable to see guys running n/a big strokers.
Running 11.5 compression ratio this time. Landjet's been in the Hanger for so long, I am not sure if I am going to race it this year. I can't afford to break anything. I just wanna drive it!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,750 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Jerkyboy,

Do you have custom made valve covers? I would like to make an oil catch can setup similar to yours where both ports are in front. Do the hose ends screw onto the valve covers? What size hose/fittings did you use?

Quick Reply: 434 back in and on the chassis dyno