C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

c4 to c5 convertion body kit questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 PM
speedoholic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c4 to c5 convertion body kit questions.

Please don't hate or state your options of how the kit looks, Im aware that most people don't like the looks of the kit. Im NOT wanting the kit to make my car look like a c5, I like the look of the kit it's self. not because it looks like a c5.

Now with that said, Im thinking of doing the swap. I have a 94 that needs paint in a very bad way, and Ive been thinking for days on ways to paint it to have it stand out, without going over the edge.
I do paint and body work, and I have a full shop equiped with all the tools needed to alighen the panels. The paint on my car is to the point where it needs disassembled and preped and painted right. that is the reason im thinking of the c5 kit.
my questions: 1:Has anyone seen the kit in person? or even better , done the swap? Im wondering what the quality of the fiberglass is. 2: Im wondering about the door sections. The ad says it comes with adhesive for the door clading. But I dont like the idea of that. Does it leave a line where the door and clading meet? and/or does it need to be fiberglassed to the door to be smooth?
3: The kit im looking at does not come with the lens or lights, does it use factory c5 lights and lens?
4:What do you do with the exhaust? use c5 exhaust? or have pipes custom bent?

and last question, what is the avg selling price for the 91-96 front and rear bumper covers? (in good shape) I know many people use them to upgrade the 84-90 models.

thanks!

For the haters: Just like people do with custom paint, wheels, and millions of other aftermarket parts, Im wanting to build MY perfect corvette, by taking everything I love from every year and body style and making it my own. My vette is a higher milage 94, that has had a pretty ruff life. its nothing rare and will never be. But If I build it the way I want it, it will be the most rare, it will be the only car thats has everything I want. and in the end thats all the counts.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:56 PM
topgunvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by speedoholic
Please don't hate or state your options of how the kit looks, Im aware that most people don't like the looks of the kit. Im NOT wanting the kit to make my car look like a c5, I like the look of the kit it's self. not because it looks like a c5.

Now with that said, Im thinking of doing the swap. I have a 94 that needs paint in a very bad way, and Ive been thinking for days on ways to paint it to have it stand out, without going over the edge.
I do paint and body work, and I have a full shop equiped with all the tools needed to alighen the panels. The paint on my car is to the point where it needs disassembled and preped and painted right. that is the reason im thinking of the c5 kit.
my questions: 1:Has anyone seen the kit in person? or even better , done the swap? Im wondering what the quality of the fiberglass is. 2: Im wondering about the door sections. The ad says it comes with adhesive for the door clading. But I dont like the idea of that. Does it leave a line where the door and clading meet? and/or does it need to be fiberglassed to the door to be smooth?
3: The kit im looking at does not come with the lens or lights, does it use factory c5 lights and lens?
4:What do you do with the exhaust? use c5 exhaust? or have pipes custom bent?

and last question, what is the avg selling price for the 91-96 front and rear bumper covers? (in good shape) I know many people use them to upgrade the 84-90 models.

thanks!

For the haters: Just like people do with custom paint, wheels, and millions of other aftermarket parts, Im wanting to build MY perfect corvette, by taking everything I love from every year and body style and making it my own. My vette is a higher milage 94, that has had a pretty ruff life. its nothing rare and will never be. But If I build it the way I want it, it will be the most rare, it will be the only car thats has everything I want. and in the end thats all the counts.
wrong section.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:05 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,021 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by speedoholic
I do paint and body work, and I have a full shop equiped with all the tools needed to alighen the panels.
Nuff said there. Go for it. By clading are you talking about glueing another skin on the door? That should be fairly easy to do. I would use an air file to smooth the seam. Paint it a color like candy brandywine with gold base? That would look awesome.

If your looking for replacement bumpers, You can find them on ebay used. Sometimes pretty cheap. Good luck. Post some pics.

Corvette Mike
Old 08-23-2009, 12:47 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Mike, go with the candy brandywine. I've seen a handful of cars like this and they look gorgeous.

If you've got the shop, I'd go with the kit, and add/remove fiberglass and resin to what-ever section you feel it being necessary.

I don't mind the c4 to c5 conversion kit, but I am just against the idea of running fiberglass front and rear bumpers. Regardless of the application it seems as though they never really work out to well (for soemthing that is frequently driven). Using fiberglass as the material for front and rear bumpers is a poor choice because of the amount of flex these items see... so cracks and fractures seem to be a common problem.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Good luck on your install, bring back pictures!!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:37 AM
speedoholic
Racer

Thats my fear, and the reason me asking if anyone has seen the kit in person.
You can roll up fiberglass mat and make braces to keep the larger parts from flexing, but thet will only help with normal driving condistions. The kit looks low, and being fiberglass it will destory if you bump it. I dont know what the raods are like around your guys city, but where I live I scarape the air dam allmost every time i pull into a parking lot. If it was fiberglass it would be destoryed the first time it was hit. and I dont want to do fiberglass work every week lol

If I get the kit im going to paint it metallic sunset orange, and the top A piller black, with the black acrylic targa top. Like this picture, but mettalic orange. that is if I can get my acrylic top to polish back up, its hazed and spider cracked all over. sometime this week Im going to try and cut it down with some 1000-2500g sand paper an machane buff it clear. and hope it works if it dont I may try to wetsand and clear coat it. What do you guys think would be the best way to go about fixing it?

I dont want the kit if the door clading will leave a line that can not be fiberglassed smooth, Nothing looks worse then a body kit that dont flow with the body.

Im looking online to find a urthane c5 kit with out any luck, anyone know if they make one?

Corvette mike: Im not looking for bumpers, Mine on my vette are fine. But If I do the c5 convertion I would like to recoupe some of the money back by selling my bumpers.

Last edited by speedoholic; 08-23-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:51 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I believe the c5 body kit bonds on to doors inside the beltline area under the moulding. There should be no visible seam. Go for it.

Get notified of new replies

To c4 to c5 convertion body kit questions.

Quick Reply: c4 to c5 convertion body kit questions.