C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I gotz issues...

Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 PM
enrgizerbunny
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I gotz issues...

Alright, I FINALLY bought my 1991 C4 Convertible and my uncle left me a few things to tinker with. To start with there was a "small" radiator leak, and it WAS small, because I drove the car for 4 hours straight back to base and I was fine, then it started leaking about a pint everytime it got up to temperature. I've since then put a new radiator in and have no leaks anymore (score 1, minus 2).

Here's where the trouble starts:

As soon as I drove away from the shop where I fixed the radiator I noticed that when I was starting off and getting up to speed there was a vibration in the seat that hadn't been there before, which about 2 hours later (without having a working tachometer) I determined that is must be the transmission slipping. My guess was that the amount of trans fluid lost in the cooler and the cooler line were signifigant enough to affect the way the transmission worked and caused it to slip. I did drive the car for about and hour at ~60 mph before realizing this. As soon as I got to civilization again (ECU) I stopped at sheetz and got some transmission fluid that was designed for cars that use Dextron II (it was pennzoil). I've added about a pint, and now it's reading over filled. I checked the level following the intructions in the owner's manual to a T, including driving at moderate speed for 5 miles and letting it run at low idle for 3 minutes. Adding the oil reduced the amount of slipping, but it now reads overfilled and still slips a little bit.

My questions are:

Could I have damaged my transmission during the time where I suspect it had low oil?
Other than blowing seals, can over filling the transmission damage any other internal components?
Does anyone have an spare idler pulley laying around?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny
Alright, I FINALLY bought my 1991 C4 Convertible and my uncle left me a few things to tinker with. To start with there was a "small" radiator leak, and it WAS small, because I drove the car for 4 hours straight back to base and I was fine, then it started leaking about a pint everytime it got up to temperature. I've since then put a new radiator in and have no leaks anymore (score 1, minus 2).

Here's where the trouble starts:

As soon as I drove away from the shop where I fixed the radiator I noticed that when I was starting off and getting up to speed there was a vibration in the seat that hadn't been there before, which about 2 hours later (without having a working tachometer) I determined that is must be the transmission slipping. My guess was that the amount of trans fluid lost in the cooler and the cooler line were signifigant enough to affect the way the transmission worked and caused it to slip. I did drive the car for about and hour at ~60 mph before realizing this. As soon as I got to civilization again (ECU) I stopped at sheetz and got some transmission fluid that was designed for cars that use Dextron II (it was pennzoil). I've added about a pint, and now it's reading over filled. I checked the level following the intructions in the owner's manual to a T, including driving at moderate speed for 5 miles and letting it run at low idle for 3 minutes. Adding the oil reduced the amount of slipping, but it now reads overfilled and still slips a little bit.

My questions are:

Could I have damaged my transmission during the time where I suspect it had low oil?
Other than blowing seals, can over filling the transmission damage any other internal components?
Does anyone have an spare idler pulley laying around?

Yes
Yes
I don't have a spare.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:36 PM
enrgizerbunny
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pete K
Yes
Yes
I don't have a spare.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Sorry man. I didn't mean to ruin the day, but it is possible you are screwed.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:42 PM
enrgizerbunny
Advanced

Sorry man. I didn't mean to ruin the day, but it is possible you are screwed.
Well, it seems like the slip is getting progressively smaller, but it's still noticeable. I just really didn't want anything to get ruined, and I don't really know how much oil I lost in the transmission cooler/lower line that got drained when I changed the radiator. If I had a working tachometer I would have figured out it was slipping sooner. (I've never driven a slipping automatic, so this is a new concept)

Last edited by enrgizerbunny; 08-27-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Well, it seems like the slip is getting progressively smaller, but it's still noticeable. I just really didn't want anything to get ruined, and I don't really know how much oil I lost in the transmission cooler/lower line that got drained when I changed the radiator. If I had a working tachometer I would have figured out it was slipping sooner. (I've never driven a slipping automatic, so this is a new concept)
If you are lucky, you glazed the band a bit. Band comes on for 2nd and 4th, so if it is slipping on the 1-2 shift only, thats what it is.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:30 PM
enrgizerbunny
Advanced

If you are lucky, you glazed the band a bit. Band comes on for 2nd and 4th, so if it is slipping on the 1-2 shift only, thats what it is.
It slips the most in first and second, but it still slips a little in 3rd and 4th.
When it catches, it doesn't slip a bit, though. I rocketed from 57 to 85 without realizing it when I was passing.
Should I get this possible glazed band corrected immediately, or will it take a while to cause major problems(The plan is to put it in the shop within the next two weeks). It's my daily driver so it's a big inconvenience, plus the nearest reputable transmission shop is 20 miles away.

Last edited by enrgizerbunny; 08-28-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I gotz issues...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I gotz issues...