C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

If your dash flickers, read this

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Default If your dash flickers, read this

My dash has been flickering for months and I thought it just needed rebuilding. Well to make a LONG story short, broke the clip for my Alt connector and ended up killing the battery. Replaced the clip and battery and low and behold the flickering was gone.

Moral is that when your dash starts flickering, it could be telling you that your battery is heading south.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:06 PM
PersianGulfVette
Navigator

Default How about hvac controls?

Thanks for the tip about the dash, I will have to store that one away somewhere. Never had a problem with the dash per say, my problem is with the electronic HVAC controls. The car is an 87, I have pulled the dash 3 times now to ensure all the connections where tight/functional. Anybody got any ideas? I'm not going to say that it is driving me nuts, but it is starting to **** me off.

thanks,
James
Old 09-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by PersianGulfVette
Thanks for the tip about the dash, I will have to store that one away somewhere. Never had a problem with the dash per say, my problem is with the electronic HVAC controls. The car is an 87, I have pulled the dash 3 times now to ensure all the connections where tight/functional. Anybody got any ideas? I'm not going to say that it is driving me nuts, but it is starting to **** me off.

thanks,
James
Take off the control face and clean all the button contacts, I did this and they work good as new.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy93
My dash has been flickering for months and I thought it just needed rebuilding. Well to make a LONG story short, broke the clip for my Alt connector and ended up killing the battery. Replaced the clip and battery and low and behold the flickering was gone.

Moral is that when your dash starts flickering, it could be telling you that your battery is heading south.
Mine flickers every now and then even after a new battery. I think it is the voltage regulator heading south.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:16 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My LCD had been flickering a little with the lights on ever since I bought the car. This spring, while I had the engine out and was cleaning everything up, I cleaned up every ground connection and coated them with dielectric grease. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Weav's vet is right and so is pianoguy. Here's how to tell the difference, if the dash starts to flicker, look and see if the parking lights are doing the same thing at the same time. If they are then it's most likely the regulator, if it's just the dash itself then it's probably the contacts.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:43 PM
PersianGulfVette
Navigator

Default thanks

Thanks for the help randy, I will surely give that a try. right after I replace the oil pressure sensor and whatever the hell that other oil pressure part is. just have to figure out how to get to the damn thing.
James
Old 09-08-2009, 08:22 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PersianGulfVette
Thanks for the help randy, I will surely give that a try. right after I replace the oil pressure sensor and whatever the hell that other oil pressure part is. just have to figure out how to get to the damn thing.
James
On my 91 I removed the cap and rotor and plug wires. Un plugged the wiper motor connections and was able to get in with a long socket extensions and 1 u-joint. Yours is no doubt slightly different but should be similar.

Get notified of new replies

To If your dash flickers, read this

Quick Reply: If your dash flickers, read this