C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

lq9 into a c4??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:59 PM
lt1396corvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjankuski
I am not trying to start an argument so take this post for what it is, information. The stock LS engines make amazing power even in stock form. A 6 liter truck engine with just tuning will put out more power then a LT1 Corvette engine. I do EFI tuning for West Bend Dyno and the 6 liter engines will put out 320 plus HP to the wheels, all stock besides a tune. The LT1 vettes will not do that. Through a cam, headers, intake, at that same engine and it will put 450 plus HP to the ground. It is shockingly easy to make big power with an LS engine.
Believe me no argument here either.I just said I would'nt use the truck motor.I would get the vette motor for the swap and they start jumping down my throat.The thing that makes me laugh is they have'nt even done the swap.All talk.I can see if they did the swap and started talking how badazz the car is.Then you would have a race.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
I am not trying to start an argument so take this post for what it is, information. The stock LS engines make amazing power even in stock form. A 6 liter truck engine with just tuning will put out more power then a LT1 Corvette engine. I do EFI tuning for West Bend Dyno and the 6 liter engines will put out 320 plus HP to the wheels, all stock besides a tune. The LT1 vettes will not do that. Through a cam, headers, intake, at that same engine and it will put 450 plus HP to the ground. It is shockingly easy to make big power with an LS engine.
Ya what he said

My observation is that on most boards is that folks get all bent out of shape advocating a combanation for a platform that has no defined goals or starting point.

Do you want a crisp realible car that will make 375rwh @ 6000rpm?
Got a nice car that you dont plan on any serious raceing?
Some bolt ons and a tune for the setup that is allready under the hood.

Want a aluminum block, easy, smooth 515hp @ 6500?
Dont mind all the details of a LSX swab? Well Bucko! get out the engine hoist, D volt meter and the cuttin torch.

Want a Vette that looks sounds and RUNS like a latemodel short track car and will torment the Viper guys on any Sunday? Have a tuff time walking through the shop caus all the stock car junk laying around? Conservitive 525hp @ 7500 355/372 that already fits the chassis and has tons of serious race support.

I think the main thing here for me is that we should quit pi$$in on other sound ideas because it is not the prefect car for yourself.

Last edited by Crepitus; 11-10-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:16 PM
ggrassmid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ lt1396corvette:

They said "truck" motor. Same BLOCK DESIGN as the LS1/6 Corvette block. People are grabbing up the whole truck engine for what a new bare LS1/6 Alumin. block cost, do the math. Buy a LQ9 for $2500, full running motor; swap intake with an LSX intake, say argument sake, $1400 for manifold, new fuel rail, and injectors; buy brand new LS1 heads $1600, cam $400 (high) comes out to roughly $6000 for the same "CORVETTE" engine but the only difference is one block is iron on block is Alumin. But also the point is, really only need to change to an LSX intake manifold for it to be a "typical", if you will, "CORVETTE/LS1/6" engine. You shouldnt go running your mouth off cause you hear someone say "truck", just because of your perception of what a "truck engine" is.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Bondami
Race Director

Location: Southside of Western Norte Americano State of Confusion, ColoFornia
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude '13

The Original poster said something about 320 Hp. 1 Hp per cube is nothing.. and you can do it with your L-98.. Its a Small block chevy , just like the all of em since 1955.. 400 hp in the real world is do-able and driveable.. with the TPI and some research, and its gonna cost a lot less than any of the swaps listed here.. Cam, headers, injectors etc.. simple stuff.. open it up and get a set of heads so It can breathe and your making power.. just trying to add some common sense in here, the 2 questions asked was "reasonable power (320 HP) and low cost" sounds like a typical small block build to me. Christ, edelbrock sells a crate motor that puts out more power than that as a baseline motor.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:53 PM
lt1396corvette
Racer

Originally Posted by ggrassmid
@ lt1396corvette:

They said "truck" motor. Same BLOCK DESIGN as the LS1/6 Corvette block. People are grabbing up the whole truck engine for what a new bare LS1/6 Alumin. block cost, do the math. Buy a LQ9 for $2500, full running motor; swap intake with an LSX intake, say argument sake, $1400 for manifold, new fuel rail, and injectors; buy brand new LS1 heads $1600, cam $400 (high) comes out to roughly $6000 for the same "CORVETTE" engine but the only difference is one block is iron on block is Alumin. But also the point is, really only need to change to an LSX intake manifold for it to be a "typical", if you will, "CORVETTE/LS1/6" engine. You shouldnt go running your mouth off cause you hear someone say "truck", just because of your perception of what a "truck engine" is.
Take it easy big guy.I have an opinion just like you.You do what you want I do what I want.Your money is yours my money is mine.I don't need to do the math.Do the swap in a C4 then start talking.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1396corvette
Take it easy big guy.I have an opinion just like you.You do what you want I do what I want.Your money is yours my money is mine.I don't need to do the math.Do the swap in a C4 then start talking.

the arguing is ridiculous, but out of curiousity, what kind of power does your 396 put down?

compression? Are you actually running a solid roller cam? Fill us in on the details.

Also, just for the sake of detais for the OP, Katech.com, texas-speed.com, and a few other VERY reputable vendors sell short-block 402's, 427's (Ls-x based) for pocket change.... like $5,000-6,500. And we're talking about TOP NOTCH hardware (oliver, callies, etc).

Even with the top-end stuff, cam, and dress-up you're still in at under $10K for a combination that will put down 500-600rwhp+!

For a "reasonably nice" 383 or 396, you're talking $10,000+

kind of puts the popularity and simplisity of generating pwoer into perspective.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
the arguing is ridiculous, but out of curiousity, what kind of power does your 396 put down?

compression? Are you actually running a solid roller cam? Fill us in on the details.

Also, just for the sake of detais for the OP, Katech.com, texas-speed.com, and a few other VERY reputable vendors sell short-block 402's, 427's (Ls-x based) for pocket change.... like $5,000-6,500. And we're talking about TOP NOTCH hardware (oliver, callies, etc).

Even with the top-end stuff, cam, and dress-up you're still in at under $10K for a combination that will put down 500-600rwhp+!

kind of puts the popularity and simplisity of generating pwoer into perspective.
this is corvetteforum.. he has afr heads, it has to be fast.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:59 PM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pr0zac
you don't think you could get 320hp from an l98 based engine? seriously?
Why not take that $8000 it will cost to do conversion & sell your car & buy a 1994 to 1996 corvette?You will have more options for modifications.Go for the 1996 lt-4Thats what I would to if I bought another C4.Buying a lt-4 equipped car will put you over your 320hp goal & give you a low 13 second car with the dana 44 & that cool red intake
Old 11-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Believe me no argument here either.I just said I would'nt use the truck motor.I would get the vette motor for the swap and they start jumping down my throat.The thing that makes me laugh is they have'nt even done the swap.All talk.I can see if they did the swap and started talking how badazz the car is.Then you would have a race.
All talk? You haven't brought anything to this thread. No numbers, no ideas, no tech. You don't even know what you are talking about.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:12 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mojave
All talk? You haven't brought anything to this thread. No numbers, no ideas, no tech. You don't even know what you are talking about.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:15 PM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hot85vette
dont have the money for that yet. I like the sound of it. probly just gonna sell my c4 and get another camaro hopefully and ls1 if i can find one
I had a 1998 z28 & can tell you they are alot more difficult to work on than my 1994 corvette.Plus driving the corvette just feels better.You feel special in a corvette not so with the camaro.My z28 was basically stock(flowmaster & underdrive pulleys) & was quicker than my vette but would not hook-up for sh-t.I lost to a newer mustang(at the track).I would have beat him but all that car wanted to do was burn rubber.It gets old after awhile.My 1994 corvette(auto) hooks up & just goesPlus going around a corner in the camaro, hit a bump & the ***-end would sidestepMy camaro was quicker with the traction control on.Corvette is way cooler than any f-body even though my z28 was mint(red,factory body kit,performance axle,chrome SS rims etc) the corvette is much cooler & sexierThis is all my opinion,its your money.My next corvette will be a c5 zo6 or a c6 but I'll still keep my 94.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:50 PM
lt1396corvette
Racer

Ok,MR.Internet tech
Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
lt1396corvette
Racer

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1

Last time I was at the track was 2005.I had the 396 with 11.0 compression with a solid roller cam and worked over LT1 heads.I ran a 11.3.This past summer I put on a new pair of AFR LT4 210 HEADS with A bigger solid roller cam 258/268- .681/.688.I think I could get into the tens now but I have no rollbar so can't go back to the track.Plenty of people have faster cars then me.But I'm happy with what I have A 10 sec. 23000 mile corvette.I do all the work myself.But mojave says I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 PM
lt1396corvette
Racer

Mojave, you and prozac are the 2 number 1 techs on the corvette forum hands down.You solve everyone's problems.

Last edited by lt1396corvette; 11-10-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

so far this is what i've collected..

According to LT1396corvette: LT1's are waaaaaaay better than LSX engines. that must be why GM is still producing them and sticking them in every car/truck they build.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:49 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Mojave, you and prozac are the 2 number 1 techs on the corvette forum hands down.You solve everyone's problems.

why edit your comments tough guy? your right we don't know **** and we didn't build our motors either.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:02 PM
surfer92
Pro

Originally Posted by hot85vette
very interesting. i just want to be able to run with an lt1 , or give my friends ls1 a good run. how much lift should the cam have for being mild. and a daily driver. I do know where theres a an engine at with a lingenfilter intake and runner set up, with long tubes on it, but it caught on fire, looks like it just burnt the wires and some small plastic pieces. for 600$ would that be worth it just for the headers?
For less than half what it would take to swap your engine, you could build a nice stroker engine and blow stock LTx's and LS1's away.

Get notified of new replies

To lq9 into a c4??

Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 PM
surfer92
Pro

Originally Posted by pr0zac
why edit your comments tough guy? your right we don't know **** and we didn't build our motors either.
Guys take your argument to another thread, the OP needs help not hearing a bitch fest.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:10 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 94vettelover2
Why not take that $8000 it will cost to do conversion & sell your car & buy a 1994 to 1996 corvette?You will have more options for modifications.Go for the 1996 lt-4Thats what I would to if I bought another C4.Buying a lt-4 equipped car will put you over your 320hp goal & give you a low 13 second car with the dana 44 & that cool red intake
false-

the l98 platform is much more tuner friendly than the Lt-x cars! Do yourself a favor and stick with the L98 (don't get into a Lt-x car). Unless, of course, you like the newer c4's.

The Lt-x has no aftermarket support for larger displacement block castings. Cylinder head options are limited, intake manifold options are lmited, ignition system is a bit more of a pain in the a$$. Aside from the 94' and new c4's the tuning software is essentially the same primative stuff as the earlier c4's.

Keep in mind the above statements are for "off the shelf" stuff. So, of course you can go out and get stuff custom made, but why?

The L98 has a monsterous aftermarket! You can get aftermarket blocks and build a big-inch small-block... go mild to wild as far as heads and intakes are concerned (more specifically, the 18 degree heads-if you want somewhat similar technology as the Ls-x).
Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 PM
lltrevino
Burning Brakes

You said 12.5 sec.for the f-body. You said your car has a lt4 with a cam.You should be able to run 12.9.So how does the f-body beat you by a car,car and a half.I can see if it beat you by a 1/2 a car.
not everybody can drive as you, the almighty? so tell me, why the LSX platform, is the prefered swap, vs a lt1, for the l98 people? IT IS CALLED HORSEPOWER PER CUBIC INCH! look at the way those lsx engine's heads flow in comparison to those raggedy lt1 heads.

Hell, I am pretty sure the stock l92 heads STOCK, flow more than some of the mighty AFR heads, now that would be fast

Last edited by lltrevino; 11-10-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply: lq9 into a c4??