C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

lq9 into a c4??

Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
94vettelover2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1 View Post
false-

the l98 platform is much more tuner friendly than the Lt-x cars! Do yourself a favor and stick with the L98 (don't get into a Lt-x car). Unless, of course, you like the newer c4's.

The Lt-x has no aftermarket support for larger displacement block castings. Cylinder head options are limited, intake manifold options are lmited, ignition system is a bit more of a pain in the a$$. Aside from the 94' and new c4's the tuning software is essentially the same primative stuff as the earlier c4's.

Keep in mind the above statements are for "off the shelf" stuff. So, of course you can go out and get stuff custom made, but why?

The L98 has a monsterous aftermarket! You can get aftermarket blocks and build a big-inch small-block... go mild to wild as far as heads and intakes are concerned (more specifically, the 18 degree heads-if you want somewhat similar technology as the Ls-x).
Thanks for info.I didn't know the l98s had alot of aftermarket options.I do know that you can buy a pretty bad-*** crate engine for $8000 or have someone on this forum build you one.I've read about forum members doing some amazing stuff with there "stock" engines-crossfires doing 13 second quarter-mile etc.I would recommend keeping stock engine & just upgrade it with bolt-ons etc.I would hate having to deal with wiring harness cutting & splicing.Plus its very time consuming.
My opinion is why not have someone here tell you what to do to make you car/engine fast.That way you will only have to deal with engine/driveline.Not engine/driveline,fabrication,wiring,computer,fu el lines,throttle cable,diagonstic connection,etc.I think putting a different engine in is a cool idea but should be done correctly & this involves alot of time & money.By the time your done you could have bought a mint c4 or even a c6.I'm sure you can do it cheap but if taking on a project of this magnatude,do it right.This will take alot time & money unless its going to be a stripped out car with a jerry-rigged wiring harness.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 PM
COPO
CF Senior Member

to the op, A truck enginge is fine. Just some things to consider..intake, drive acc, wiring. think about the whole swap. make a plan and stick with it. Look at used parts if your on a budget. Ask lots questions, learn as much as possible and the swap will go fairly easy. Lots of good stock take off parts can be bought for nothing. I decided to go with a truck motor. I had 6k to spent total. That will make a nice l98....but I sat down and done a lot of thinking over a couple weeks. Added up a few parts here and there and decided i could make 500rwhp with the 6k if i bought a truck motor. At the moment I have around 5k in my swap and basically all I like buying is fuel system, wiring, and a gas pedal.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 PM
pr0zac
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 94vettelover2 View Post
Thanks for info.I didn't know the l98s had alot of aftermarket options.I do know that you can buy a pretty bad-*** crate engine for $8000 or have someone on this forum build you one.I've read about forum members doing some amazing stuff with there "stock" engines-crossfires doing 13 second quarter-mile etc.I would recommend keeping stock engine & just upgrade it with bolt-ons etc.I would hate having to deal with wiring harness cutting & splicing.Plus its very time consuming.
My opinion is why not have someone here tell you what to do to make you car/engine fast.That way you will only have to deal with engine/driveline.Not engine/driveline,fabrication,wiring,computer,fu el lines,throttle cable,diagonstic connection,etc.I think putting a different engine in is a cool idea but should be done correctly & this involves alot of time & money.By the time your done you could have bought a mint c4 or even a c6.I'm sure you can do it cheap but if taking on a project of this magnatude,do it right.This will take alot time & money unless its going to be a stripped out car with a jerry-rigged wiring harness.
how about instead of follow peoples advise, do some research of your own, talk to PROFESSIONALS and decide what you want to do with your car.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:03 PM
lt1396corvette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337 View Post
so far this is what i've collected..

According to LT1396corvette: LT1's are waaaaaaay better than LSX engines. that must be why GM is still producing them and sticking them in every car/truck they build.
Where did I say that.Quote me.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by lt1396corvette View Post
I realize other people are using it. (LSX ENGINES) But do they throw it in there car stock and blow away an LT1 car.
You indirectly stated that LSX engines are worse/no better than LT1s.

If LT1s were so great, why isn't GM still making them
Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 PM
lt1396corvette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337 View Post
You indirectly stated that LSX engines are worse/no better than LT1s.

If LT1s were so great, why isn't GM still making them
I'm not seeing it there?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:47 PM
lt1396corvette
CF Senior Member

no where in that quote did i say the lt1 motor is way better than the lsx motors
Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 AM
94vettelover2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by pr0zac View Post
how about instead of follow peoples advise, do some research of your own, talk to PROFESSIONALS and decide what you want to do with your car.
I only suggested that the person posting this thread talk to people here that have a fast l98.You can talk to professionals all you want but my opinion is talk to someone who has made their car(l98) fast.I'm sure people can give good advice on how to upgrade the persons l98 with the engine swap money & will save that person alot of headaches.But if he does go the "truck motor" swap I hope he posts pictures of the process
Old 11-11-2009, 05:31 AM
93 ragtop
CF Senior Member

FWIW the latest GM High Tech mag, has a article on using the LS1 pcm for tpi cars. I just got the mag in the mail yesterday and have not read it yet, but its on the front page.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:04 PM
93 ragtop
CF Senior Member

If anyone is looking for a LS motor, I seen this one on craigslist. I do not know them or anything about it other then the ad. Again, I was just scanning craigslist and seen it.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...463365439.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lq9 into a c4??

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: