C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Long tube header fit and performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:41 PM
ydasscar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Long tube header fit and performance

I am looking for information on how long tube headers fit on C4 LT1 cars. Specifically will the headers hang lower than than the stock exhaust system?
This is a T-1 car that sits very low already. I would not want to make the lowest part of the car the header pipe.

Also what kind of hp differences are there between long tube and shorty headers?

Thank you,
JOHN

SPDZONE
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

LT's provide more power gains, some people say that shorty's don't give you much more power over your stock manifolds.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:38 PM
blkzr1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default headers

hi, i have the em long tube headers and the fit is great. i got the ones without the air tubes. i was able to put the car on 4 stands and the headers went right up through the bottom of the engine compartment with no problems. one thing i did was to turn the left side engine mount bolt where the nut is in the front for tube clearence. they do not hang below the engine. my car is lowered also and i have not hit anything that would dent the headers. i used the solid copper gaskets and torqued all of the bolts to 28 ft/lbs. you can even remove the starter with ease. see ya
Old 11-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you buy a quality set of headers you shouldn't have clearence issues. Most tuck up very nicely.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by blkzr1
hi, i have the em long tube headers and the fit is great. i got the ones without the air tubes. i was able to put the car on 4 stands and the headers went right up through the bottom of the engine compartment with no problems. one thing i did was to turn the left side engine mount bolt where the nut is in the front for tube clearence. they do not hang below the engine. my car is lowered also and i have not hit anything that would dent the headers. i used the solid copper gaskets and torqued all of the bolts to 28 ft/lbs. you can even remove the starter with ease. see ya
I've got EM headers too. No problems.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but Hooker heads fit finish and added noise and heat in the cabin??? Thinking of the painted comp ones no air fittings?? The Borla exhaust sounds great but getting to the limit for a cruise over 100 miles..
Old 11-11-2009, 02:08 PM
surfer92
Pro

First you need to decide your needs, a stock engine or near stock will get better performance w/ 1 5/8" primaries and a medium to heavily modded engine will do better w/ 1 3/4" primaries.

I have Hedman elites and love them, my car is stock so that is why I went with 1 5/8 primaries.
If you have a auto, you will might have a problem. I kept my stock catback system and put hi-flow bullit cats on and used a 3" connector pipe and welded it on.
I would suggesst what ever you do that you weld the system, everybody(including me) that tried to use ubolts, had leaks.

Hope this helps, also do a search. I saw a million and one threads on this subject.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:14 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jwt1603
I've got EM headers too. No problems.
Merle provides great customer service and usually has a GP going on.......
Old 11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by surfer92
First you need to decide your needs, a stock engine or near stock will get better performance w/ 1 5/8" primaries and a medium to heavily modded engine will do better w/ 1 3/4" primaries.

I have Hedman elites and love them, my car is stock so that is why I went with 1 5/8 primaries.
If you have a auto, you will might have a problem. I kept my stock catback system and put hi-flow bullit cats on and used a 3" connector pipe and welded it on.
I would suggesst what ever you do that you weld the system, everybody(including me) that tried to use ubolts, had leaks.

Hope this helps, also do a search. I saw a million and one threads on this subject.
Adding a comp cams XFI 268 1.6 rockers custom intake GM fastburn heads have 3.07 gears but stock converter Borla exhaust magnaflow cat. 1 3/4 is needed to fit exhaust port alone.. I am looking for 400 to 425 at the crank under 6k rpm and hope it can be done without pulling the engine. I guess a we shall see thing..
Old 11-11-2009, 03:18 PM
surfer92
Pro

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Adding a comp cams XFI 268 1.6 rockers custom intake GM fastburn heads have 3.07 gears but stock converter Borla exhaust magnaflow cat. 1 3/4 is needed to fit exhaust port alone.. I am looking for 400 to 425 at the crank under 6k rpm and hope it can be done without pulling the engine. I guess a we shall see thing..
1 5/8 will fit nicely and as I said Stock or near stock, you should use 1 5/8 and anything modded more should use 1 3/4.
Not to duspute you, but 400-425 hp from a L98 w/your mods seems high. 140+ hp gain w/bolt on's is a lot, but I guess it is possible, do you have stock injectors?

Also, were did you get those gear? Or are they stock, need to get rid of my 2.59's.
Almost forgot, OP after headers get a tune. Will help you get the most from your mod.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:23 PM
surfer92
Pro

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Not to hijack the thread but Hooker heads fit finish and added noise and heat in the cabin??? Thinking of the painted comp ones no air fittings?? The Borla exhaust sounds great but getting to the limit for a cruise over 100 miles..
I didn't know any better about the heat and mine melted the brake booster, put a heatshield over the nbr 5 and 7 primaries so you don't do this.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:28 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by surfer92
I didn't know any better about the heat and mine melted the brake booster, put a heatshield over the nbr 5 and 7 primaries so you don't do this.
Thanks for the tip did you make a stainless heatshield or use header wrap? To the previous on poster the only parts i will have left that came with the engine is block crank rods and pistons and making me now wonder why not a 383 or 406... I did not want to pull the engine and starting to think it might actually save time than add to it...
Old 11-12-2009, 05:45 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

"Also, were did you get those gear? Or are they stock, need to get rid of my 2.59's. "

The 3.07 gears were a factory option I am not sure of the RPO code but sure someone here is up on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Long tube header fit and performance

Quick Reply: Long tube header fit and performance