C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

`87 turn signal flasher location

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:40 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default `87 turn signal flasher location

I used the search feature, & came up with a lot of different answers, none of which helped me. I put in L.E.D. tail light bulbs, & they stay on when I use the turn signal (no flash). I found the hazard flasher behind the IP in the center section, but I can`t find the turn signal flasher. It is not behind the bread box,at least not where I can see. It is not in the center section with the hazard flasher ( which works great with the L.E.D.s by the way). My FSM states that it is in the "convineince" center under the left side of the driver`s hush panel. I don`t have a convineince center. Any one got a pic of the damn thing?. Oh yeah, I pulled the driver side hush panel, & its not there either.

Thanks,ken
Old 11-21-2009, 08:43 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If its the same as my 95 it is under the hush panel. Near the firewall clipped to a bracket . However, I could not see it when I was changing it I had to feel for it...I only found it because it was next to the hazard flasher and the hazards worked

But then again I did not remove the hush panel to change it.

Are you sure it's a flasher problem? Were your flashers working with the regular bulbs, some LED light installations require resistors IOT flash correctly?

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 11-21-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My 87 FSM shows the turn signal flasher to be in the passenger side dash just to the inside (left) of the fuse block. Should be behind the ECM. IIRC, it is not easy to access.

aboatguy is right about requiring resistors for the LED lights. The turn signal flasher is mechanical so there has to be some amount of current resistance in order for the flasher to work properly. Take away the electrical resistance from the filaments in the bulbs and no flash. There are electronic flashers available that you can use to replace the OEM flasher, but you still have to get to the old one.....

Also some LED conversion kits are made with built-in resistors and will be a simple plug-n-play swap; sounds like what you got does not have that.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
My 87 FSM shows the turn signal flasher to be in the passenger side dash just to the inside (left) of the fuse block. Should be behind the ECM. IIRC, it is not easy to access.

aboatguy is right about requiring resistors for the LED lights. The turn signal flasher is mechanical so there has to be some amount of current resistance in order for the flasher to work properly. Take away the electrical resistance from the filaments in the bulbs and no flash. There are electronic flashers available that you can use to replace the OEM flasher, but you still have to get to the old one.....

Also some LED conversion kits are made with built-in resistors and will be a simple plug-n-play swap; sounds like what you got does not have that.
Right, I bought the new one from Pep boys Triton EL-12, & I crawled under both sides of the dash & could not find diddly. As I said, my FSM contends that the flasher is in a convienience cenyer which is non existant on my car, Oh I forgot to mention that my FSM set is the white cover one. Thanks I`ll look on the passenger side again tomorrow. It would be a lot easier if you could remove the carpeted part of the hush panel. I can lay on my back & see the ECM.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:40 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 11-22-2009, 10:40 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by kenv
Right, I bought the new one from Pep boys Triton EL-12, & I crawled under both sides of the dash & could not find diddly. As I said, my FSM contends that the flasher is in a convienience cenyer which is non existant on my car, Oh I forgot to mention that my FSM set is the white cover one. Thanks I`ll look on the passenger side again tomorrow. It would be a lot easier if you could remove the carpeted part of the hush panel. I can lay on my back & see the ECM.
All you need to do is to remove the passenger side plastic hush panel. Should be 3 screws at the forward end and IIRC, one on the right side. Carefully pull the interior lamp connection and that should be all you need for access. There are lots of wires up there and you have to carefully spread things apart to get to it.

The "convenience center" is actually the location of the DIC warning lamp messages and that's in the center of the dash above the radio. The hazard flasher is behind that. You have to remove the instrument panel surround and the center part of the dash trim to access the center, then remove it (4 screws) and then you can see the hazard flasher and the chime/buzzer, horn relay, starter enable relay.

The diagram that AGENT 86 posted is the same one that's in the 87 white FSM; page 8A-201-10, Figure A. Figure B shows the location of the ECM and the flasher is to the right and behind it.

The hazard flasher location is shown on page 8A-201-7, Figure A. Also on this page, check out Figure C. That gives you another view of the general location of the flasher; it will be to the right and below the VATS module.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks for the replies. The turn flasher was as posted above, over the passenger`s left knee, right next to the ECM. Actualy, I had to pull the ECM, & that made it a lot easier to get it out. You wonder what the engineers were (or not) thinking when they designed this layout
Old 04-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Jacki&GeneZ16
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CLARIFICATION at least for my 87 Convertible. I'm confirming what kenv found. The signal flasher is over the passenger`s left knee, next to the ECM. I also pull the ECM out (after I removed the passenger seat and the right hand hush panel). However, I still did not see the Signal Flasher. I almost gave up, but instead I started to move the bundle of wires between ECM mount and the console. The wire bundles/harnesses had enough stack to pull them down and looking up next to the ECM mount I finally saw the Signal Flasher! It was a struggle get it out (best to have long skinny fingers), but I did! So I finally replaced mine, though it was not easy.

Maybe the info from other posters above and the FSM is meant to be for the 87 Coupe, it could be different than where things are in the Convertibles. So I found, for my Convertible: The FSM is wrong, the Signal Flasher is NOT in the location as shown in the Post above by Agent 86. Also, it is NOT in a Convenience Center per FSM page 8A-201-7 (Figure A Behind Center I/P) as mentioned by c4cruiser. Of course the info from aboatguy for his 95 may be good for the later C4s, but a dead end for an early C4.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Maverick-thrill
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

87 corvette coupe. Changed turn signal bulb on passenger rear side. Bulb works, away from my car connection. placed in light socket brake ok....emergency flashing works. NO TURN SIGNAL.

What Should I check now?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

There are actualy two flashers in two different locations. The first is under the passenger side kneepad next to the ecm. The second is behind the radio. You have to remove the radio to get to it. One is the turn signal flasher, the other is the four way flasher (yes, thats the way Chevy did it)

Get notified of new replies

To `87 turn signal flasher location

Quick Reply: `87 turn signal flasher location