C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New aftermarket block for SBC

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:49 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Default New aftermarket block for SBC

I was at my machine shop Strasburg machine today, and a company out of Australia is making a HD block, that is a clone of a Dart block. Billet steel caps, high nickel content, and pretty much a Dart clone. They are called Procomp and based out of Australia. Strasburg has used many, and they seem to be as good as a Dart block. It uses a 2 piece seal crank, and can be bored to 4.200". It does require aftermarket lifters just like a Dart little M or Bowtie block. But it is probably $500 less than a Dart block . Probably $13XX plus shipping. Strasburg machine which builds and runs top fuel and builds alot of blown alcohol and pro mod engines were pretty impresed. It might be a good option for a lower budget high end motor. At least it's a new option for engine builders. Even the bowtie blocks that are the more expensive blocks have cast main caps. Lindsey@Strasberg machine has said they have used this block in some 900hp engines, and everything has been fine. My gut feeling is it would be about as strong as a Dart Little M. When you actually see it. it looks pretty damn stout! It actually looks like a clone of their Little M block. procompelectronics.com. Strasberg machine is 801-785-2753. They are a Warehouse distributor for these blocks.

And they also make a hardcore 351 Ford windsor block that can be bored and stroked to 460ci for the Ford guys.

The SBC block can be bored and stroked to 450+ci.

I am not making a dime on this deal, just letting people know all the options out there. Even Lindsey the manager @Strasberg was impressed. He is the tuner on their top fuel car. He thought Procomp cloned a Dart block. Just trying to giving you guys more options for high end builds for less money. The more options the better. And it's not from China!

Jim
Old 12-04-2009, 02:54 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tpi 421 vette
And it's not from China!
Jim
In wanting to protect my nations reputation as a supplier of quality auto parts (PBR calipers OE on Corvettes , DBA rotors ,etc ) I would be surprised if it is cast in Australia.
ProComp might be registered in Australia but as far as I am aware all their product comes from China.
Their el cheapo heads have been very hit and miss as far as QC goes

Last edited by rodj; 12-04-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:08 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

I was just going off what my machine shop was telling me. Maybe it isn't the best thing out there. They said it was from Australia. We might have to check into it more. Thanks Rodj for the input. It was just new to me.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:30 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

ProComp is made in China. Do a search on( Procomp blocks) and see what you get.. Most sites are saying its JUNK...WW
Old 12-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
ProComp is made in China. Do a search on( Procomp blocks) and see what you get.. Most sites are saying its JUNK...WW

After speaking with a PBM rep, that was true. From what I gather, they were absolute crap, but have evolved to not too bad.
The bad internet vibe is being taken seriously, and they are said to be focused on quality, and continue to improve with every batch.
Although my gut tells me to buy a Dart or Bowtie, I am willing to bet that in a year or less, these blocks and heads will be near identical in quality to the good stuff.
You would not believe the difference a year makes in quality, based on my views of the cylinder heads as they have evolved.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0
Old 12-04-2009, 01:58 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Personally I don't care if they sold for half of what a domestic block sold for, I still wouldn't get one. Its bad enough when you have to buy China made products because nothing else is available , as long as I can get a US made block thats what I buy......WW

Last edited by WW7; 12-04-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by WW7
Personally I don't care if they sold for half of what a domestic block sold for, I still wouldn't get one. Its bad enough when you have to buy China made products because nothing else is available , as long as I can get a US made block thats what I buy......WW
I agree.
These parts are like drug sales. As long as there is demand, they will continue to supply. And if they do it at half the price of a quality american part, they are going to sell. Not to me, but they will sell.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:17 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they need to make an lt1 version now that dart won't.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:40 PM
-WhItE_NoIsE-
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep i want a 427 lt1 that can rev high and have a lot of room to grow!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:43 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WW7
Chinese stuff is a turn off for me too. If it actually was from Australia that would be different
Old 12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete K
I agree.
These parts are like drug sales. As long as there is demand, they will continue to supply. And if they do it at half the price of a quality american part, they are going to sell. Not to me, but they will sell.
I run into this daily... I have a "value" line (mostly made offshore), and of course top-drawer stuff, the vast majority of customer are looking at the price point, and we have to explain the difference. Some people are bound and determined to stick to price-only, no matter what.

This isn't to say it's all junk, but there IS a lot of it out there.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it may not be comparable to a Little M, the Dart SHP block is not far off of in terms of price and is a U.S.A. product for those that care.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:30 PM
DeltaT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bad internet vibe is being taken seriously, and they are said to be focused on quality, and continue to improve with every batch.
Although my gut tells me to buy a Dart or Bowtie, I am willing to bet that in a year or less, these blocks and heads will be near identical in quality to the good stuff.
The problem with this scenario is that the junk blocks NEVER go away. The Mfg. will not accept returns, they have no brand cast into them, so without detailed measurement people will not be able to tell whether they have an 'original (junky)' piece, or a newer, 'not-so-bad' one.

Why take a chance? As above, step up to the SHP.

Jim
Old 12-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by DeltaT
The problem with this scenario is that the junk blocks NEVER go away. The Mfg. will not accept returns, they have no brand cast into them, so without detailed measurement people will not be able to tell whether they have an 'original (junky)' piece, or a newer, 'not-so-bad' one.

Why take a chance? As above, step up to the SHP.

Jim
If your comments are aimed at me, you are preaching to the choir.
I will not buy one, but there will be strong demand based on price. Those 2 situations will likely occur.
The upside is Dart is slashing prices.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:20 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll be interested in seeing how these improve but with the cost being as low as it is on the SHP and Dart slashing their prices they're in for quite the competition.

Get notified of new replies

To New aftermarket block for SBC

Quick Reply: New aftermarket block for SBC