C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone install an aftermarket Automatic shifter on a C4 ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 12:31 PM
vett4cw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone install an aftermarket Automatic shifter on a C4 ??

Has anyone out there installed an aftermarket race-type shifter into the stock console for an automatic ?? Which model ?? How difficult ??
Thanks.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:22 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Anyone install an aftermarket Automatic shifter on a C4 ?? (vett4cw)

I put in a B&M Megashifter. It is the one they make for the '82-'93 F-body (Camaro/Firebird). It was not that hard for a dummie like me to put in. Took a bit of cutting on the console pieces to get it to fit. As you can see the cheap rubber boot doesn't reach far enough. I showed the car to a guy that does custom interior for hot rods and he said he could make me a nice leather boot for it for about $50. I just havn't gotten the car to him yet. I really like driving with this type of shifter tho. It is very easy to shift and you won't miss a gear. Some people look at it and think it sits up kinda high but it sure is in a good spot for driving and those that have driven with it say they like the position. Ever watch those rally cars on Speedvision? Look where they position their shifters. Good Luck.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:30 AM
CAU-LLC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anyone install an aftermarket Automatic shifter on a C4 ?? (vett4cw)

We have just come out with our CAU C5 A4 Shift Adapter, and I think it will also work on the C4. I'm looking for someone to try it out.

We have just put install instructions and PICS on our site at
http://www.cau-llc.com/Instructions/...ter%20Inst.htm

If it works you can install any aftermarket Shif **** or Ball tht will fit the C5, and I think the C4.

We have them on our Mall Page. http://store.yahoo.com/corvetteforum/coracun.html

Jim Booth / Corvette Accessories Unlimited
Old 03-04-2002, 01:17 AM
vett4cw
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone install an aftermarket Automatic shifter on a C4 ?? (Bob86ZZ4)

Thanks for responding guys !!! Bob86ZZ4... do you happen to have a picture from the other side (drivers) ?? Sure like the idea of having a shifter that would eliminate the possibility of jumping past shift points. I would agree... a leather boot would look great...

Thanks again.

P.S. Bob86ZZ4... sounds like you have a very potent set-up... any 1/4 mile times/speeds ??
Old 03-04-2002, 04:16 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I picked up a used stock shift assy for $50 and cut notches into the shift gate (pics on my site). Though it has no up-shift stops it does prevent down-shifts into the wrong gear. And it provides enough shift feel to get a positive up-shift.
Old 03-04-2002, 02:42 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone install an aftermarket Automatic shifter on a C4 ?? (65Z01)

CAU-LLC: I think he is looking for a different shifter, not just a different handle for the top.

This is the only other shot I have of it. I have heard of people cutting notches into the stock mechanism as posted above. I havn't ever driven with one like that tho. The Megashifter is a great shifter to drive with.
Old 03-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Anyone install an aftermarket Automatic shifter on a C4 ?? (Bob86ZZ4)

ttt..... I'm interested in this question as well...

Ralph !!! you out there ? I know you upgraded the shifter... but I forgot what.

Beach Bum
Old 03-18-2002, 08:47 PM
dirtydave
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Anyone install an aftermarket Automatic shifter on a C4 ?? (Beach Bum)

bob86zz4, did you retain the original gear selection indicator, or use the one in the kit?
Old 03-18-2002, 09:53 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone install an aftermarket Automatic shifter on a C4 ?? (dirtydave)

The original gear indicator won't work. You need to use the one provided in the kit. It is a cable driven thing. The stock one is somehow attached to the stock shifter brackets and I don't think that will work with the ratcheting shifter.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:03 AM
dirtydave
Heel & Toe

Bob86zz4, did you have to pull the transmission out to instal the shifter?
Old 03-19-2002, 08:49 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone install an aftermarket Automatic shifter on a C4 ?? (dirtydave)

I did mine when the tranny was out so it made it easier. I had to bolt it to the hump under the console so I had a helper hold the nylock nuts underneath with a wrench while I tightened the bolts from above. I think you might be able to do it with the tranny in place but not sure. You would need a long socket extension that's for sure. And it might be tough to get the nuts started up there.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone install an aftermarket Automatic shifter on a C4 ??

Quick Reply: Anyone install an aftermarket Automatic shifter on a C4 ??