C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question on injector swap with Vortech Supercharger install

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 AM
kiwivetten
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question on injector swap with Vortech Supercharger install

I have recently installed a Vortech A-Trim supercharger plus bits as listed below and it has transformed the car. First time up the road and it started wheel spinning at around 40kph!

The only issue I had was that the car would start cutting out at 4000rpm. As I hadn't upgraded the injectors and I know the standard Multec injectors aren't great I purchased a set of Bosch III design 27lb (Ford Blue Top) injectors off e-bay. I installed these and my problem was solved as it now revs right out but I have noticed that it doesn't have the power that it had when I put my foot down at lower revs.

Is it possible that it is now running too rich and I am losing power. I was pretty sure that these injectors could be used with the standard computer but maybe I need to purchase an Ostrich and adjust injector rate??

While changing the injectors I removed the intake and replaced gaskets as I had a water leak. If I now have an air leak would it cause loss of power??

Appreciate any feedback you can give.

Cheers
Craig

Vortech A-Trim centrifugal supercharger
Front mount intercooler
MSD6530 Digital Programmable Ignition
MSD Leads
Bosch III (Ford Blue top) 27lb injectors
Walbro fuel pump
Vortech rising rate fuel pressure regulator
Cooler plugs
K&N
Sequential blow off valve
Right hand drive!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

What car / engine?
As you need to adjust tune or injector size at least when doing a injector change on stock engine I would expect you would need major changes to tune when running a supercharger.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 PM
kiwivetten
Advanced

Originally Posted by rodj
What car / engine?
As you need to adjust tune or injector size at least when doing a injector change on stock engine I would expect you would need major changes to tune when running a supercharger.
1990 L98 Corvette

Just fitted an LM-2 fuel/Air ratio monitor and when I put my foot down the AFR is going as low as 10.5 which I presume explains the loss of power due to rich mixture. What sort of AFR should I be seeing under acceleration?

I have an Ostrich on the way. When I receive it are the key changes I need to make fuel flow rate and duty cycle. New to this so plenty to learn!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:57 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwivetten
are the key changes I need to make fuel flow rate and duty cycle.
if using TunerProRT

Originally Posted by kiwivetten
Just fitted an LM-2 fuel/Air ratio monitor
Is the LM 2 feeding the ECM the O2 signal or just used for monitoring?

Last edited by rodj; 01-02-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:29 AM
kiwivetten
Advanced

Originally Posted by rodj
if using TunerProRT

Is the LM 2 feeding the ECM the O2 signal or just used for monitoring?
Yep using Tunerpro RT. The LM2 is not feeding the ECM. Just being used for monitoring.

From talking to another member it looks like I just need to adjust the injector flow rate via the Ostrich in Tunerpro to around 24 to lean the tables out. I am relying on the FMU to provide the extra fuel at boost.

Looks like the best way would have been to not bother with FMU and 24lb injectors but go to a 2-bar MAP with Code $58 and larger injectors. (or 3-bar MAP and code $59).

I now have the Ostrich to make the changes but what a nightmare to get up and running. I am currently running on limp mode!!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:30 AM
kiwivetten
Advanced

I had huge issues with the Ostrich when first installed after fitting a Vortech V1 supercharger. The car ran extremely rich and very rough. Spent many hours trying to work out what was going on and finally worked out that the issue was radiated emmissions (probably from the MSD ignition I had installed) onto the USB cable from my laptop to the Ostrich. When I finally programmed the ostrich out of the car and re-installed it without being hooked up to my laptop the car ran fine. Basically I can't live tune while the car is running! Car now runs 1/4 mile in the 12's with an old Vortech A-trim and only 4 pound boost!

Get notified of new replies

To Question on injector swap with Vortech Supercharger install

Quick Reply: Question on injector swap with Vortech Supercharger install