C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 Water Pump Replaced - Yikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 AM
pletzvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yorcci
With my previous '87 one of the attaching bolts (the one, which goes through all the way to the engine block) had rusted into the water pump leg... Then the bolt broke, when I was trying to open it. With very poor tools I ended up with drilling the water pump leg until I could brake it around the bolt hole. There are some pictures and -again- Finnish :

http://finnshark.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=463

Damn, I still remember the feeling

Luckily, with this present '91 I only had to replace the water pump gaskets, when it started to drip a bit.
That's the stud that snapped on me too, those pictures bring back some 'not too fun' memories!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Yorcci
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by pletzvet
That's the stud that snapped on me too, those pictures bring back some 'not too fun' memories!
I hear you...
Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 PM
screamin_conure
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey TDF,

Even though I won't really make use of the information you posted myself, I just have to say thanks for putting up that post anyway! It's contributions like that, that make this forum such a valuable resource for all Corvette owners.

Even the newest C4s are now 14 years old, and keeping any of them on the road is going to take work. We all come from different walks of life and have differing mechanical skill levels, so for some it's easy and for others it's a real challenge. It's when we share our knowledge, tips and ideas that the entire Corvette hobby benefits.

Thanks again!

Ron

Quick Reply: 86 Water Pump Replaced - Yikes