C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transmission choices- what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Z01#316
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission choices- what would you do?

Hi, I have a 88 coupe with a 383 (actually a 385 ci) with a 700R4 and 354 rear gears behind it. I'm sure some here have seen my photos of the car. It puts out 405hp and about 470lb ft.lbs tqe. The 700R4 has a shift kit, a high performance rebuild with kevlar clutch packs, etc, and a 2400 rpm stall converter. The tranny has been slipping in 3-4 gear shifts. Last year and a half, have been babying it, when I do drive it and had planned to put in a 5 spd.
My quandry:
1.) I've been saving up for a Keisler TKO 5 spd and have already have
pedals & frame brace and interior shift plate for the swap.
2.) Saw the new Corvette Enthusiast magazine & the article an a Keisler 4L60 and their new paddleshift control. Shift points are adjustable by a controller.
3.) Rebuild the 700R4 and keep the status quo.

Problem with #3 is that I have basically gotten bored with the car , and feel, maybe a change is what the doctor ordered. Bought a 06 6M Z51 Coupe last year and have enjoyed the heck out of driving it , although I admit sometimes the clutch thing gets old in traffic. I'm older, so although I do drive "spirited" from time to time, I can control my need for speed and rarely race.
Have had thoughts of selling it (the 88) and taking a bath on dollars lost vs what I put into it so I can get a new Camaro SS. Pros - something new, Cons-already own this one and did enjoy it for most of the time I've modded it.
While I'm not rich by any judge of he term, money is not really a driving factor.
So, question remains, what would u do in my position? Tom
Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I would do what made me the happiest, and I really hate changing cars so I would keep it. I'd also keep the auto since you have a manual alternate car and don't always enjoy that in traffic.

My partner is looking to change cars again. She's going to lose quite a bit of money plus continually lose money and a car with less gas mileage. So I understand some like to change cars a lot.

How about putting that money toward a vacation instead, or a track event? The NCM Road America event was my favorite road racing event I've ever been to. They also have VIR events and are building their own course.

Take it to one of those events and re-bond with the car?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Z01#316
Racer

Good response. Thankx. Although we don't have many road race racks here in the area, it is a something I can do when I go to the larger out of own events like Dallas, etc. I have the car for 10 years now, and have gotten bored with it before, but always manged to change something to keep up my interest.
U stated , keep the auto, which one, the electric 4L60 or the 700R4? Thankx again for the response.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

The 4L60E and paddle setup would be pretty expensive. I guess I'd weigh it's cost plus my labor (or labor cost) against doing the same thing with the 700R4. I had a paddle shifter in my other car and am putting one in this car now. You buy a shifter like the B&M pro ratchet then add the solenoid (I'm using the CO2 system, the electric is nice but not good for tons of shifting due to heat build up) plus RPM switch if you desire. I made aluminum brackets for the buttons instead of buying paddles.

Lots of TX tracks listed, http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Track...tes_Of_America
Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 PM
C4vettrn
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here are a couple of good sites

http://www.700r4l60e.com/

http://www.monstertransmissions.com/
Old 01-09-2010, 09:33 AM
twin540
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the monster ss rebuild kit from monster transmission . I've being very happy with it..
Old 01-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Z01#316
Racer

Thankx for the replies. My problem is not whether to rebuild it or not. I realize that is the cheapest option, but is it the right option? I need to fall back in love with the car. Haven't really driven it all that much since I got the 06. I'm kinda leaning to either doing a 5 spd Keisler swap or just selling it and start on a new project.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:26 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to look up member "anesthes" He did a bunch of research on this very topic and published it on his website.

You may want to consume his research as he deduces different results from the group think that often occurs.

Just to give you a crib note, T5 trannies do what you want and you can get them for $200-$500 at Junkyards all day long. Not to mention they are cheap to rebuild.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission choices- what would you do?

Quick Reply: Transmission choices- what would you do?