C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Antenna motor works, but wont go up or down.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:09 PM
C1ANDZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Antenna motor works, but wont go up or down.

Hi everyone,

After following the instructions in one of the tech articles on this forum, I removed the antenna and motor from my '91 Z because it would not go up and down. Then I removed the cover on the unit to expose the ribbon and gears. The ribbon does not appear to be stripped, but when I bench tested it and put 12 volts to the motor, the only gear that would move was the nickel sized gear that is rotated by the electric motor itself. The motor works fine in both directions. Does anyone know where I go from here for a repair? I don't want to start pulling off gears and break something without some direction.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Hard to tell what wrong, but I would take a second look at the teeth on the ribbon. It might only need to be worn down in one spot for it not to engage. I would remove the ribbon and get a good look at the tooth heights as compared to the rest of them. Was there any power or ground up stuff inside of the housing.

Just a suggestion. But if you have done this, then inspect the gear meshing further.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Antenna motor works, but wont go up or down.