C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 vette cold weather Voltage up and down

Old 01-11-2010, 10:47 AM
66grandsport
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 vette cold weather Voltage up and down

Since the cold weather has hit, sometimes when car starts the volts go up into the high range and the baterry/check light comes on. I have disconnected the battery to clear the computer then its fine. but this AM this didnt do the trick so I turned everything on to keep the voltage within limits, then it was fine again. restarted and fine again, cold weather?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

You don’t have a problem, mine does the same. In the morning it indicates 14.9, and when getting to work its back down to about 14.3 when fully charges. This is how it should work. As the battery charges, the voltage will come down.

The battery might just be slightly more discharged due the the lower temperature in the morning.

Having said all that, I would check the charging voltage with an external volt meter just to see if the charging limits are excessive.

Last edited by pcolt94; 01-11-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:14 PM
66grandsport
Racer

Does it set the check engine light? and battery light up in center console?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:10 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

The cold weather will affect the charging voltage slightly. But it won't set all those lights off that you are having. I would double check the charging voltage with a DVM and pull any codes (for the engine light) that you might have.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:09 PM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=pcolt94;1572716600]You don’t have a problem, mine does the same. In the morning it indicates 14.9, and when getting to work its back down to about 14.3 when fully charges. This is how it should work. As the battery charges, the voltage will come down.

The battery might just be slightly more discharged due the the lower temperature in the morning.

Having said all that, I would check the charging voltage with an external volt meter just to see if the charging limits are excessive.

My 94 does same thing-reads 14.9 volts when first starting up & after awhile goes down to 14.3-14.4.Its only happened when weather turned cold.My check engine or battery light never came on.I suspect you have a problem & would recommend checking charging system output with a volt-meter & have battery tested.Then I would check for stored codes in computer.Next time this happens do not dissconect battery but bring car to shop right away to have charging system & check engine light checked.This shouldn't cost more than $100.Don't drive car far because if overcharging is occuring other component damage can occur.I'll bet the check engine light is related to charging system issue but may be coincidence.Keep us updated

Get notified of new replies

To 94 vette cold weather Voltage up and down

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 vette cold weather Voltage up and down