C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Failed NJ emissions high hc

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The hangup in CA is the mandated warranty - the aftermarket doesn't want to comply with that requirement (though Walker has an exemption). Neither do they want to have to replace it if you somehow get a hold of one, so they're not going to ship a CAT to a CA address. In my opinion, that Reg won't stand up any better than the surcharge the State tried to levy on vehicles brought in from out of State (which our Supreme Court tossed out around the same time the voters were tossing out Gay Davis ordering a massive refund of all the fees). For now, we're at the mercy of local dealerships - hopefully someone will put up some dough to make it right. SEMA doesn't seem to care - yet - and you're going to have a tough time getting an aftermarket CAT via UPS from any retailer (so start looking/making some more friends). OR wait until nothing is available and go the exemption route. AND if your income is low enough, use the State Plan wherein the taxpayers provide you the $500 you're suppose to fork over for repairs before you can get that exemption. More info about all of it at the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair site.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:36 AM
GlennS87
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel sorry for you California guys
Old 02-05-2010, 12:16 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

You do know that our cars come with the same equipment as all the other States? Do you also know that our Emissions Warranty is longer than what you get on those vehicles with the same parts? Do you know that your paying for that quality without getting the benefit of that warranty? It keeps our costs competitive with everywhere else - thankyou - but why are you letting your Legislature ignore/get away with that?

Assuming you've cleaned up the Jersey skyline since the dogpoo days of the 50's and 60's - and I know most of it blew over from the Pittsburg Steel Mills - I don't feel sorry for you - even though our costs would be higher if not for your help!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:25 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SunCr
You do know that our cars come with the same equipment as all the other States? Do you also know that our Emissions Warranty is longer than what you get on those vehicles with the same parts? Do you know that your paying for that quality without getting the benefit of that warranty? It keeps our costs competitive with everywhere else - thankyou - but why are you letting your Legislature ignore/get away with that?

Assuming you've cleaned up the Jersey skyline since the dogpoo days of the 50's and 60's - and I know most of it blew over from the Pittsburg Steel Mills - I don't feel sorry for you - even though our costs would be higher if not for your help!
actually the federal cars get 8/80 on the ecm and catalyst and CA gets 7/70..so you're backwards on that...the 90's cars had that anyhow.

I'd like to get a set of oem LT1 vette cats just in case. a set of LS3 cats for my C6 ended up in my inventory a few days before the law changed also...

another point of how they could actually enforce it...what if i'm in AZ or somewhere and crash over a rock etc and have repairs made elsewhere with a non numbered cat? Nothing they can do about that and they have no idea what you have on your car currently (oem of aftermarket). Only gonna raise the price of testing. The intent seems to be anti-modification for guys putting high flows on I guess...people need to realize the current gerrymandered CA legislature hates the internal combustion engine, poor people, and private business.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Of course they don't have the manpower or tools to enforce it any more than they can tell if it's broken between bienniel testing (watch out though; when the wizen up, new cars will be linked to CARB with something like OnStar). Of course you can't always tell if something is wrong either - at least not until '96 when OBD2 began monitoring efficiency and even then, you're free to ignore the Check Engine Light - on new up to 6 years since there is no testing until then (reduced to 4 if you sell it). You will however, get your tire pressure checked and adjusted when you bring it for service - but that's another story.

My understanding is that the current CA warranty is 7/70 but the basic Fed is 2/24 on all but the ECM and CAT which are 8/80 and 10/100. That leaves the injectors, your harnesses, the O2's and myriad of Sensors shared on everyone else's dime. Maybe I am in the Dark ages - for my '89 it was 5/50 CA; 2/24 Fed. I'll have to review the Statute(s) and the warrantys on my new stuff, though I really think someone should attack parts availability arguing that it's a restraint against free trade. In fact, it might be fun to bring an action in Small Claims - you've got a good shot at a Judge Pro Tem with zero experience in CA Constitutional Law and some Dodo from CARB might not have a clue (and it would be a kick to ask them to explain the differences between a certified/non certified parts).

Quick Reply: Failed NJ emissions high hc