C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clutch pedal stuck, I can't push it down

Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 AM
housegsx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal stuck, I can't push it down

Here's the deal.
It's a 95 Corvette that sat outside all Winter long. When the warm weather came last week I replaced the battery, got in the car and there was NO clutch pedal. I rebuild the master cylinder a couple years ago so I just ordered a new slave cylinder.

Over the weekend I jacked up the car, pulled the old slave off and it was pretty nasty looking. I hooked up the new one and it took me a while to get it bled, but after pumping, the pedal got rock solid. It has an inch or so of very light travel then just stops solid, not anywhere close to the floor where it would disengage.

What is going on here? The only thing I can think of is a seized throwout bearing on the input shaft from sitting outside all Winter. Aren't they plastic sleaved though? I can't remember. What else could it possibly be? It's starting to look like the trans is coming out again.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Heard a story a few years back about master or slave cylinders rebuilt with the rubber piston in backwards. It will just build up pressure and won't release it. If the master was OK and moving, then the slave, the item last changed is probably the problem.

Take apart the new slave and check the rubber piston.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
housegsx
Advanced

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Heard a story a few years back about master or slave cylinders rebuilt with the rubber piston in backwards. It will just build up pressure and won't release it.
If that's the case I should be able to put it in 1st gear and spin the rear wheels by hand if it is stuck in the disengaged position. Correct?

I'll try that first when I get home.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:09 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by housegsx
If that's the case I should be able to put it in 1st gear and spin the rear wheels by hand if it is stuck in the disengaged position. Correct?

I'll try that first when I get home.
That sounds logical and you might be right. Sometimes things aren't as you would think and the strange is at work. Don’t pull the trans yet, you have not gone far enough. Drop the slave cylinder off the mounting and see if there is a change in the pedal. Will it go down, push slow. If it is still locked up, something is wrong with the slave.

Open the line and let the fluid run out. Does the pedal release now.

Try the simple first before you pull the trans. What's one more day at this point, if it turns out to be simpler than the clutch.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 PM
housegsx
Advanced

Got it fixed!

I pulled the slave off and the pedal was still hard. ...And then it came to me. I remembered the last time I did this I had to bleed the system while it was off of the bellhousing, per Chilton's instructions. So I bled it, bolted it back on and presto, fixed!

What a dumb setup.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Excellent, whatever works. I don’t understand it but excellent.

I am have one of those books also, I'm going to take a look and see if I can understand what is happening.

Almost sounds like the line was blocked somehow by the piston.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 AM
housegsx
Advanced

Yep, it's definitely strange and Chilton is the only place I've seen that says to do it that way. If you don't find it, I'll write down what it says in my book and add it to this thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch pedal stuck, I can't push it down

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch pedal stuck, I can't push it down